2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
FIVE WEEKS TIL OPENING TIP VS ETSU

thought I would run some portal numbers by yโ€™all.

210 scholarship roster spots in WBB for SEC teams. 10 spots vacant, so 200. 64 players came to their SEC school via the portal plus another 3 who transferred before they even played(coach left after signing date) so 33.3% are portals. Here is the breakdown

Bama 9
Miss st 9
OM 6
Auburn 5
LSU 5
A&M 3+2 who left after signing with UGA
UK 5
UT 5
UF 5
UGA 5
Ark 2+1
Vandy 2
Mizzou 2
USC 2

10 schools with 58

Last edited:

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
FIVE WEEKS TIL OPENING TIP VS ETSU

thought I would run some portal numbers by yโ€™all.

210 scholarship roster spots in WBB for SEC teams. 10 spots vacant, so 200. 64 players came to their SEC school via the portal plus another 3 who transferred before they even played(coach left after signing date) so 33.3% are portals. Here is the breakdown

Bama 9
Miss st 9
OM 6
Auburn 5
LSU 5
A&M 3+2 who left after signing with UGA
UK 5
UT 5
UF 5
UGA 5
Ark 2+1
Vandy 2
Mizzou 2
USC 2

10 schools with 58

Clearly a third of rosters were built off of the portal.....

Reactions: cockyclt

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Same, she's a game changer wherever she goes. I can't believe she's ranked so low.
Cooper and Watkins both saw their rankings drop last year. Not a conspiracy guy, I just think Hoopgurlz in evaluating 5 stars devalues athleticism and promotes the more โ€œpolishedโ€ prospects.

Sometimes they are right, sometimes not. DS covets athletes. I feel athleticism shows up in a more pronounced way on the defensive end of the court. If we repeat D will lead the way. Henny and Saxton were considered 2 of the top 5 athletes in their class. Amihere, Cooke, Beal, Russell, Rivers, Hall, and Feagin also.

I think Fulwiley gets unjustly dinged because she is 5โ€™6โ€ and somewhat slight.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
Cooper and Watkins both saw their rankings drop last year. Not a conspiracy guy, I just think Hoopgurlz in evaluating 5 stars devalues athleticism and promotes the more โ€œpolishedโ€ prospects.

Sometimes they are right, sometimes not. DS covets athletes. I feel athleticism shows up in a more pronounced way on the defensive end of the court. If we repeat D will lead the way. Henny and Saxton were considered 2 of the top 5 athletes in their class. Amihere, Cooke, Beal, Russell, Rivers, Hall, and Feagin also.

I think Fulwiley gets unjustly dinged because she is 5โ€™6โ€ and somewhat slight.
Fulwilley is 5'9. She has not been 5'6 since her days at Middle School. For whatever reason, hoopsgurlz never changes an athletes height once they first put them in their system. Most obvious with their listed height of some players who obviously grew during their time in high school

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Ryhne Howard was ranked by GurlzHoops something like 27th in her class, Boston should've been #1 but they had her at #3...

I don't trust those rankings...
No ranking site is perfect. Hoopgurlz is a very good site but not perfect. To say you donโ€™t trust them when they rank us so high is an odd dis of our own talent.

b-flag

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
You don't think Griner has to abide by Russian laws when she's in their country? Is that just because she's famous and can shoot hoops?
she is a political pawn. whether she broke the law or not, she is an american and i would like to see her and the other americans in that rat infested hellhole that is russia
putin smart......pick a pawn that is a lesbian with tatoos....the perfect symbol of the sick west.
well, i will take lesbians and tattoos over a dictator who murders with impunity......but clearly is attractive to a lot of americans
screw russia and the sooner somebody puts a bullet in putin we can perhaps deal with the scum in moscow
if the nazis arrested an american in their regime i would feel the same

• Love
Reactions: Garnet Breeze

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
b-flag While I agree with you. This crappy troll portion of a great thread died 5 days ago. Why are you roiling the trolls on this? It pollutes a looong thread(31 pages on this board and over a 100 pages on the old board) dedicated to great info on Gamecock WBB. Please just delete your response and save us from a weekend of anti Griner folks you will never convince.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockyclt

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
she is a political pawn. whether she broke the law or not, she is an american and i would like to see her and the other americans in that rat infested hellhole that is russia
putin smart......pick a pawn that is a lesbian with tatoos....the perfect symbol of the sick west.
well, i will take lesbians and tattoos over a dictator who murders with impunity......but clearly is attractive to a lot of americans
screw russia and the sooner somebody puts a bullet in putin we can perhaps deal with the scum in moscow
if the nazis arrested an american in their regime i would feel the same
Do you have the same passion about political prosecutions currently happening in the United States?

• Love
Reactions: TN-Gamecock

b-flag

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
Do you have the same passion about political prosecutions currently happening in the United States?
having been asked by a decent poster to cease, i am through with the political angle
lets focus on gamecock sports
move on folks nothing to see here.....go on to your abodes

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022
I'll be curious to see if Joyce Edwards keeps her #1 ranking.
She is the real deal. It would take a lot of things to happen for her to fall out of that spot.

She showed out against older girls in a summer tournament that also had Watkins and Cooper (both looked good too) playing.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 โ€ข Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
I live in Camden and have heard that she is tired of everyone assuming she is going to USC but I still think she ends up here. Her aunt used to be an associate athletics director at USC. If we lose her I think it would be to Stanford bc she is very smart!

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
This from one of the UNC sites (they think Blanca is theirs...LOL)

"Rumor mill says she was supposedly taking an unofficial to SC this past weekend, but wanted to keep it hush-hush. We already have 2 post from 23, do we really need another?

When it's all said and done, I want to see Blanca Thomas "commits" to UNC."

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This from one of the UNC sites (they think Blanca is theirs...LOL)

"Rumor mill says she was supposedly taking an unofficial to SC this past weekend, but wanted to keep it hush-hush. We already have 2 post from 23, do we really need another?

When it's all said and done, I want to see Blanca Thomas "commits" to UNC."
Banghardt is building a perennial powerhouse at UNcarolina. We will be squaring off on the court and on the recruiting trail for the next 15-20 years. Same thing for Lawson at Duke.

If I was Stanford i would hire Banghardt when Tara retires. I am also sure that if Harper fails at UT Lawson is the first call. With those exceptions both are at their school for the long haul.

Does this scare me? No, but the closest consistent top 10 programs near us geographically over the last decade have been L'ville, Maryland and for a while Miss St.
With coaches in place at NCSU, UNC, Duke, LSU, and UF we are no longer the ONLY close to home option

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
NIL/Recruiting tidbit

Juju Watkins has signed with Nike. Jade Li English is her agent AND most of our players agent. I do not know how this might effect her coming to a UA School

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022
Banghardt is building a perennial powerhouse at UNcarolina. We will be squaring off on the court and on the recruiting trail for the next 15-20 years. Same thing for Lawson at Duke.

If I was Stanford i would hire Banghardt when Tara retires. I am also sure that if Harper fails at UT Lawson is the first call. With those exceptions both are at their school for the long haul.

Does this scare me? No, but the closest consistent top 10 programs near us geographically over the last decade have been L'ville, Maryland and for a while Miss St.
With coaches in place at NCSU, UNC, Duke, LSU, and UF we are no longer the ONLY close to home option
I guess I'm not sure why you think Harper could fail at UT but not Banghart or Lawson? At this point, Harper has achieved just as much as Banghart: a trip to the Sweet 16. Lawson has not achieved anything yet.

And yes, Lawson & Banghart have gotten some great recruits lately, but ultimately no one keeps their job over recruits. They keep their jobs over wins. We've yet to see if they can take these recruits and win with them. And if they keep recruiting well we've yet to see how they can handle having a lot of top players fighting for playing time in the days of the transfer portal. Will they become one of those teams that recruits well then everyone leaves and they have to start over? Hard to predict at this point.

Our 2019 recruiting class was a big reason we won the championship this past year. But that wasn't the only reason. Our coaches did a great job bringing these players along. And Dawn did a wonderful job communicating with both the players and their moms and keeping a really deep team together.

Could Banghart and Lawson do the same thing? I mean sure it's definitely possible, but it's not a given. I think Lawson and Banghart are exactly where Harper is right now: lots of potential and reasons to believe things could be good in the future without the results to back this up.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I guess I'm not sure why you think Harper could fail at UT but not Banghart or Lawson? At this point, Harper has achieved just as much as Banghart: a trip to the Sweet 16. Lawson has not achieved anything yet.

And yes, Lawson & Banghart have gotten some great recruits lately, but ultimately no one keeps their job over recruits. They keep their jobs over wins. We've yet to see if they can take these recruits and win with them. And if they keep recruiting well we've yet to see how they can handle having a lot of top players fighting for playing time in the days of the transfer portal. Will they become one of those teams that recruits well then everyone leaves and they have to start over? Hard to predict at this point.

Our 2019 recruiting class was a big reason we won the championship this past year. But that wasn't the only reason. Our coaches did a great job bringing these players along. And Dawn did a wonderful job communicating with both the players and their moms and keeping a really deep team together.

Could Banghart and Lawson do the same thing? I mean sure it's definitely possible, but it's not a given. I think Lawson and Banghart are exactly where Harper is right now: lots of potential and reasons to believe things could be good in the future without the results to back this up.
Couple of things, I donโ€™t think Harper is or will fail at UT, just noting Lawson is a UT grad and that the UT job is the only job Lawson would leave for.

Banghart was 231-66 her last 10 years at Princeton. She knows how to run an overall program, she is a good in game coach, and she has recognized and developed lesser talent. She has turned a program around in 3 years and is attracting top tier talent.

All I am saying we have been a program alone at the top in SC, NC, GA, FL and VA the last 10 years. We were THE stay at home choice. Things change, schools have upped their game in response. The school to feel sorry for(NOT!) is the taters. Four top flight or ascending programs within 3 hours and they suck. 16 losing seasons in the last 17. 194-346 overall and an incredibly pathetic 57-223 in conference

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Of the 3 coaches mentioned I would be the most worried about Banghart. What she did with UNC has been amazing and has her team going in the right direction. Harper is actually doing well at UT as well but her future will likely depend on her high school recruiting.

Lawson is likely the only one whose seat is getting a little warmer if things don't improve this season. I think cancelling Duke's season her first season due to Covid will hurt her and electing to not participate in the WNIT last season will also be another strike against her. There's going to be a lot of extra pressure on some kind of postseason play for this year.

Reactions: winloseortie

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022
Couple of things, I donโ€™t think Harper is or will fail at UT, just noting Lawson is a UT grad and that the UT job is the only job Lawson would leave for.

Banghart was 231-66 her last 10 years at Princeton. She knows how to run an overall program, she is a good in game coach, and she has recognized and developed lesser talent. She has turned a program around in 3 years and is attracting top tier talent.

All I am saying we have been a program alone at the top in SC, NC, GA, FL and VA the last 10 years. We were THE stay at home choice. Things change, schools have upped their game in response. The school to feel sorry for(NOT!) is the taters. Four top flight or ascending programs within 3 hours and they suck. 16 losing seasons in the last 17. 194-346 overall and an incredibly pathetic 57-223 in conference
You are projecting our love for our WBB program onto Clemson like they care.

These other programs are on the rise because they care about WBB. No university has the fanbase that we have each season but more and more are investing the finances necessary.

WBB is growing nationally. Thankfully Dawn was a huge part of that and has us well ahead of the curve. But you are right in that it will get tougher.