2022-23 Portal Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The writing has been on the wall for some time indicating this was how this would end:

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Cephas to Pitt. Bummer. Word is some of his credits wouldn’t transfer over to PSU, but of course Pitt takes anyone …so it’s no problem
Is this official? I heard his transcript is a mess. Rumor was that both PSU and UCLA advised him to return to Kent and graduate this spring. He could then apply as a grad transfer (cleaner path). 247 still shows him in play

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Is this official? I heard his transcript is a mess. Rumor was that both PSU and UCLA advised him to return to Kent and graduate this spring. He could then apply as a grad transfer (cleaner path). 247 still shows him in play
Correct .. he’ll lose credits if he transfers now .. he’s going back or he’s foolish

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Correct .. he’ll lose credits if he transfers now .. he’s going back or he’s foolish
Why is this a problem? Cephas is in his fourth year at Kent. He should have accumulated close to enough credits to graduate from Kent. He can then attend another school for a year or two and take credits earned at that school back to Kent from which he will then receive his degree.

Alternatively, he hasn't earned anywhere near enough credits to graduate from Kent, a distinct possibility, which puts him in never-neverland.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Why is this a problem? Cephas is in his fourth year at Kent. He should have accumulated close to enough credits to graduate from Kent. He can then attend another school for a year or two and take credits earned at that school back to Kent from which he will then receive his degree.

Alternatively, he hasn't earned anywhere near enough credits to graduate from Kent, a distinct possibility, which puts him in never-neverland.
My understanding is that he may lose over a year of credits in transfer. As such, it may create an issue with eligibility per NCAA rules about semesters and credits earned. That's why PSU purportedly suggested he get his degree at Kent and apply for a graduate program after spring.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
My understanding is that he may lose over a year of credits in transfer. As such, it may create an issue with eligibility per NCAA rules about semesters and credits earned. That's why PSU purportedly suggested he get his degree at Kent and apply for a graduate program after spring.
If he's not earning a degree from PSU why would they care?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
If he's not earning a degree from PSU why would they care?
To be eligible you need to successfully complete x number of credits per semester/per year. I don't have the details, but this apparently is the issue if he transfers and he doesn't carry enough credits.

NitneLiun

Aug 24, 2017
Devin Carter, the NC State portal transfer has deleted his PSU commitment tweet and removed all mention of Penn State from his Twitter banner.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Lot's of the top talent exploring the portal, simply looking for the highest paying "job." I can't blame them, but we need to come to grips with the reality that it won't be Penn State.

Reactions: Bison13

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
NIL money aside you would think that top WRs would want to come to PSU considering we have a top rated QB and a good chance for lots of PT.

On3 lists the top WRs in the portal and the top 50 are pretty much committed elsewhere.

Cephas is #9
Carter is #43
Broden is #49 (between PSU & Oklahoma)
Brinson is #66 (leaning PSU)

Last edited:

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Emery Simmons -- One-time PSU commitment out of high school (flipped to UNC), later transferred to Indiana, is back in portal again (had a decent year at IU last year - on an awful team).

I would expect PSU has at least kicked the tires.

Last edited by a moderator:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
One-time PSU commitment out of high school (flipped to UNC), later transferred to Indiana, is back in portal again (had a decent year at IU last year - on an awful team).

I would expect PSU has at least kicked the tires.
I hope this doesn’t come off as entitled, but it would be nice to know what position he plays, just saying.

Reactions: pberger12

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
I hope this doesn’t come off as entitled, but it would be nice to know what position he plays, just saying.
WR

Edit: apparently, he had decommitted from Indiana before committing to PSU, then decommitted to sign with UNC. So, since he already played at IU as well, seems like coming to PSU next would be full circle.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
NIL money aside you would think that top WRs would want to come to PSU considering we have a top rated QB and a good chance for lots of PT.

On3 lists the top WRs in the portal and the top 50 are pretty much committed elsewhere.

Cephas is #9
Carter is #43
Broden is #49 (between PSU & Oklahoma)
Brinson is #66 (leaning PSU)
Cephas was a PSU lean, but his transcripts are a mess. This isn't just a PSU issue and he probably has to go back to Kent to graduate. It may not have a conclusion until spring.

If you are entering the portal to seek fortune, the prospect of catching a lot of balls isn't going to trump lots of cash in hand.
I know I'm dirt poor compared to many here.....but honestly, would you take the job with a chance for good steady compensation and a great work environment.......Or a position with a $200k signing bonus?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
At this point....as I believe it was Diaz who pointed it out.....when you bring someone in from the portal, you need to be able to sell it to everyone in that room. You are not going to keep the WR room happy throwing money (in the amount no one else is getting) at a portal WR. Gain one lose 4 or 5 isn't a good strategy.
This team seems to have its **** together......very united. Let's keep it that way.

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
At this point....as I believe it was Diaz who pointed it out.....when you bring someone in from the portal, you need to be able to sell it to everyone in that room. You are not going to keep the WR room happy throwing money (in the amount no one else is getting) at a portal WR. Gain one lose 4 or 5 isn't a good strategy.
This team seems to have its **** together......very united. Let's keep it that way.
Nothing keeps a team together like winning games. Portal hits and misses are a part of that equation now.

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
Maybe you can start the 1997 NIL fund to make sure this doesn’t happen.

And if you aren’t bitching, you aren’t posting.

I like to complain while your mother gives my balls a vigorous tongue bath on these winter nights, what can I say?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Broden’s deciding today, I’ll take 2 years over 1 with the NC Stater kid Carter
I think it's an either or. Carter has decided to test his $$$$$ power(allegedly).
If Broden is willing to fit into the room and the NIL philosophy at PSU they may accept a commitment today.
I still think that Cephas is in play (but not for a few months) and that's the reason I believe PSU will only take one WR right now.
This with the caveat that a game breaker doesn't suddenly drop from the heavens.
But, the immaculate WR would need to surface before 1/19 (I believe that's the portal deadline.....correct me if I'm wrong).
Perhaps Freddie Roberson is still an either or as well.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Nothing keeps a team together like winning games. Portal hits and misses are a part of that equation now.
I can tell you from experience that it sucks sitting on the bench but it sucks more sitting on the bench and watching your team lose while thinking you could do better than the players getting PT.

Latest posts