2022-23 PSU MBB Thread

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Another meeting at six so I won’t make it but interested in seeing how the rotations work without John Harrar

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Solid effort to start the season...really liked how we used Pickett again down low to invert the offense, where guards can't handle him on their own and when they helped, we spaced the floor well and moved it to find open shooters. We showed nice intensity on D and made them work for it...our small lineup really allowed us to switch the 1 thru 5 and double the post, but obviously worry about how we'll match up against good bigs (Njie was what you'd expect out of a freshman, certainly has some game, but 4 fouls in 10 minutes).

So glad to have college hoops back...this is always one of my favorite nights of the year.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
PSU favored by 17 tonight with a total of 135…as with our opener, I’m on the over (might be the trend for a while).

Reactions: LionsAndBears

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Another strong effort last night...the offense is going to be extremely perimeter based this year, but it will look great when shots are falling. We'll create matchup problems for opponents with a true 5 as they have to come out and guard us, just as they'll create matchup problems for us as we need to go undersized and double the post. When Njie and Lundy were in foul trouble, we actually played Dread at the 5 for several possessions. I'm hoping to see some more Michael Henn as the season goes along and he's another body that can guard the 5 in a pinch.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Another strong effort last night...the offense is going to be extremely perimeter based this year, but it will look great when shots are falling. We'll create matchup problems for opponents with a true 5 as they have to come out and guard us, just as they'll create matchup problems for us as we need to go undersized and double the post. When Njie and Lundy were in foul trouble, we actually played Dread at the 5 for several possessions. I'm hoping to see some more Michael Henn as the season goes along and he's another body that can guard the 5 in a pinch.
I have been a bit surprised that Henn hasn't received more time so far just for that reason.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

Watching game. A few quick observations:
--Njie (6' 10" Freshman) looks pretty good. Much needed size for PSU but work in progress. Probably doesn't have stamina to play long stretches. Haven't seen the other PSU "big", Lilley.
---PSU lacks inside game
---PSU will probably struggle in B1G against teams with bigger front lines. Right now the 6' 11" center, Bates for Butler has 10 points and two blocks.
--Pickett is so deceptive with his movement. Reminds of an old school half court player. Really knows how to use his body.
--PSU loses team concept in stretches and just starts chucking up 3 balls. Need more ball movement. As they say, "live by the three, die by the three".
----They won't get as many open looks in B1G play.

Reactions: LionJim

Nitlion93

Oct 29, 2021
Good win against Butler who has some talent and a good coach. PSU looked good at times, but they did have some poor stretches and almost blew the game at the end. However, we were able to hold on and can use this as a learning experience while still getting the victory. I’m mildly optimistic because we have a bunch of different players who are capable of stepping up when others are having an off night.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

Old school player! Gets it done ad such a contrast to the style of many in the game today. The thing that stands out most to me is the way Pickett, Wynter, Funk, and Dread go about their game. Don't panic as they are mature veterans and they aren't showboaters. Lundy also starting to pick up that maturity. That will help the younger players as they develop and are in more close games in conference. My major concern remains the ability to have a consistent inside rebounding and defensive presence. Still, I think this team can pull some upsets and eek out enough quality wins to get in the NCAA as a low seed, perhaps through "The First Four" in Dayton.

Last edited:

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
When Watkins left he had a contract to play in South America somewhere but I don’t know how that worked out. I believe I heard he was back in the USA but I don’t know if he’s still playing anymore.
Edit: wiki has him playing in the Israeli league now.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

Really struggled down the stretch but held on for the "W". Biggest concern to me is lack of inside defensive presence. Hopefully Njie comes along quickly and Lilley can get healthy enough to start playing. Did Freshman guard Jameel Brown get any PT? I didn't catch the 1st half and couldn't watch the entire 2nd half.

Latest posts