2022-23 PSU MBB Thread

Electric Lion

Nov 7, 2021
he's not listed in the box score as having played.

This has to be the biggest surprise to me so far this season. He was a big time recruit, similar to Tony Carr, and played on power school and AAU teams. Maybe he's not picking up the system as quickly? Wouldn't be the first time that happened to a freshman. Carr played immediately because not only was he talented but the team had a need. I guess that speaks to the depth of the current team.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I've wanted to watch PSU hoops this year ... first two games weren't broadcast (without paying extra for BTN+ or whatever). The next two, I forgot about until just after they finished. This one I'm recording so I can watch it. That probably means they'll lose. Because PSU's success is obviously affected by whether or not I'm watching/recording. It's science.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Really struggled down the stretch but held on for the "W". Biggest concern to me is lack of inside defensive presence. Hopefully Njie comes along quickly and Lilley can get healthy enough to start playing. Did Freshman guard Jameel Brown get any PT? I didn't catch the 1st half and couldn't watch the entire 2nd half.

A lack of an inside defensive presence is synonymous with the Penn State basketball BRAND. o_O . Fast and undersized. 😞

Nitlion93

Oct 29, 2021
Just turned on the game against VT and we are losing 25-9 at under 8 minutes. Obviously not a good start.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
I agree. He looks like a real contributor
Though they lost, they came back strong and had an opportunity in the last few seconds. The only "complaint" I would have about PSU's defensive play is there was never any help inside on the VT bigs. When the VT bigs turned across the lane, no PSU defenders stepped in to cut them off. When you are @ a size disadvantage inside, you have to help. If that is by design to not help, then that is a flawed defensive philosophy. That said, this is not a bad loss. VT is a quality team.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
If that is by design to not help, then that is a flawed defensive philosophy.
Didn’t watch all that much but I did notice our bigs trying to handle the paint on their own, and, looking back, it did seem to be by design. If so, it’s probably a reaction to the threat of a three. I thought our inside guys were doing a good enough job, tbh.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Didn’t watch all that much but I did notice our bigs trying to handle the paint on their own, and, looking back, it did seem to be by design. If so, it’s probably a reaction to the threat of a three. I thought our inside guys were doing a good enough job, tbh.
I don't think that can continue as PSU moves into conference play.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think that can continue as PSU moves into conference play.
I wouldn’t expect it to, but it depends on the opponent. Against Michigan, you’d double inside. Against Northwestern, say, you might think you could get away with not helping inside. I’ll keep my eye out for tendencies and report back if I have anything to share.

Reactions: DaytonRickster

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
PSU didn't seem prepared for VT's quickness and strength. VT had 9 steals and 4 blocked shots.

PSU got tougher in the second half but fell short. Mahaffey was a bright spot adding some much needed physicality.

Reactions: DaytonRickster

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Coast-to-coast.
PSU was dominate without dominating, if that makes sense. Never could really pull away, but also never really let Colorado State make it a close game. Strange game all around, but a good win. Nice to see freshmen Njie and Clary play well.

Reactions: LionJim

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

Hoping they can beat Clemson with ease. Clemson lost to 3-3 South Carolina, who lost all 3 games in the same Charleston Classic PSU played in, and won 2 of 3 (only losing a squeaker to VT). They got blown out of the stadium by the same CSU team we beat fairly handily in that tourney.

Sif

Oct 12, 2021
Is no one watching? Funk just hit a 3 to send the game into OT, tied at 71.
I was until they went down like 5 or 7 with a minute to go. I figured game over. Flipped back to Home Screen on YouTube tv and it still showed the game was on. Go back and see it is in OT. Shame on me for doubting!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Refs are having an off night, to be charitable.

The issue with the clock are embarrassing. Once is an accident. Repeatedly is just unacceptable.

And the bank-in 3 by Funk to tie it at the end of regulation was a stunner.

And PSU is falling apart in the 2nd OT

Sif

Oct 12, 2021
Refs are having an off night, to be charitable.

The issue with the clock are embarrassing. Once is an accident. Repeatedly is just unacceptable.

And the bank-in 3 by Funk to tie it at the end of regulation was a stunner.

And PSU is falling apart in the 2nd OT
Obvious here, desperate need for bigs and I know we are getting some soon. I get that Njie is a freshman, but man he is a very soft freshman.

Reactions: strawdog

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Needed this win. If they have any chance of making the tournament (🤣😞), this is a win they needed.

Latest posts