2022-23 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021

Pretty weak non-conference slate, but impressive nonetheless to be 8-0. Not too shabby for a team picked second-to-last in preseason polling! Big test next weekend when Michigan visits Pegula... would be great to steal at least one of the two!

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Pretty weak non-conference slate, but impressive nonetheless to be 8-0. Not too shabby for a team picked second-to-last in preseason polling! Big test next weekend when Michigan visits Pegula... would be great to steal at least one of the two!

Great start Guy and co.!

Saw someone comment that the team showed some mental toughness.

Keep it going Icers! Kudos!

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021

Study those goals! The first was a beautiful wrap around goal. Goalie had no idea where the puck was for a moment. Forced the goalie to defend the whole net (which he didn't) Beautiful. Goal two was a beautiful PP goal set up by crisp passing! Looks like 19 and 26 are snipers! Third was all effort. Wisconsin's D couldn't clear. Beautiful effort goal.

Looks like we play each other the 10th and 11th of November. My Gophers have been up and down with less than stellar net minding. My Gophers are talented, but inexperienced. Hope we have answers for your offense. I assume your defense is great. Just didn't see any highlights. Perhaps I'll not be lazy and see if there are any shots on goal stats.

Cheers!

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
The team is skating well and as usual pouring in a lot of shots on goal and scoring so far. I do worry a bit about their defense and letting in breakaways. Souliere has been pretty decent in net so far but we are thin behind him, and we don’t seem to have big bodies to keep the crease clean against B10 competitors but we will see. So far so good.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
The team is skating well and as usual pouring in a lot of shots on goal and scoring so far. I do worry a bit about their defense and letting in breakaways. Souliere has been pretty decent in net so far but we are thin behind him, and we don’t seem to have big bodies to keep the crease clean against B10 competitors but we will see. So far so good.
Thanks!

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
I wish they’d set up some games with Maine, UNH, BC, and BU.
We had Maine on the schedule but the games were canceled due to Covid. We’ve played BC a couple of times. Once in Pegula. I think the other was in Pittsburgh.
We’ve also played St Lawrence, Lowell, Union, Vermont, Princeton, Clarkson, Merrimack and probably others from those conferences.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
I either didn't know or had forgotten that Autio hit the transfer portal. I had heard that Souliere, when they recruited him, was supposed to be the long-term goalie prospect (kinda like Jones before Autio) but he didn't play as well as they had expected early on (hence Autio being the go-to goalie); maybe now is his time!
Autio transferred to Vermont. Looks to be the backup.

Reactions: pennstater97

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
First time PSU Men's Hockey has defeated Michigan. Nice to do it when they (UM) were ranked #1.

EDIT: I don't think that's accurate. I took that from the BTN broadcast, but I may have missed some aspect of the comment.

Last edited:

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
First time PSU Men's Hockey has defeated Michigan. Nice to do it when they (UM) were ranked #1.
Tom, they've beaten them before, indeed they were the first B1G team they beat IIRC. Also, PSU also beat UM in the first or second B1G tournament back when it was a neutral site event.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Tom, they've beaten them before, indeed they were the first B1G team they beat IIRC. Also, PSU also beat UM in the first or second B1G tournament back when it was a neutral site event.

I think you're correct. BTN said something about it being the 1st time PSU had defeated Michigan. That seemed odd to me, but I posted it. It's possible there was some additional qualifier on that statement that I missed.

Reactions: pennstater97

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

Fantastic! That is the kind of performance we are seeking for football.

Awesome job Guy and the boys!

If PSU gets that kind of defense and tending - look out. Any fan knows that they can generate shots (and score) with anyone!

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
I think you're correct. BTN said something about it being the 1st time PSU had defeated Michigan. That seemed odd to me, but I posted it. It's possible there was some additional qualifier on that statement that I missed.
The Big10 Network is hardly an unbiased source.

Those morons would erase any Penn State victory if they could.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021

Series is at 15-22-1. Was closer a few years ago, but M has been on fire recruiting and won quite a few season series the past few years if memory serves. Would be great to steal one this season (i.e., get 3 of 4)!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

There is a difference between being biased and being ignorant and lazy. BTN is both, but more frequently the latter.

Reactions: EPC FAN

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
appears Michigan is flipping the script tonight:

FWIW, PSU did not score while on the 5-on-3 power play

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Three quick goals and it's tied up. Third goal scored with 4:09 left.

Heading to OT after absolutely peppering the UM net.

UM wins 24 seconds into OT. Rats, but loved the comeback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts