2022 Phillies Thread

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Still don’t have enough pitching and the defense is weak.
I‘ll take strong pitching and defense over offense every time.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
No doubt that Dave would have loved to have upgraded the lineup and defense at once. The market didn’t move that way and having Nick and Kyle for the price of Bryant was fortuitous. That should cumulatively yield more production if both stay healthy.

Is it possible that someone like Hoskins or Segura gets moved for starting pitching? Bohm even though he’s it right now for a homegrown prospect type?

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
No doubt that Dave would have loved to have upgraded the lineup and defense at once. The market didn’t move that way and having Nick and Kyle for the price of Bryant was fortuitous. That should cumulatively yield more production if both stay healthy.

Is it possible that someone like Hoskins or Segura gets moved for starting pitching? Bohm even though he’s it right now for a homegrown prospect type?
More of a market for Hoskins now that the DH is in both leagues. Hoskins, Castellanos, and Schwarber are all DH type players. So maybe Hoskins does move. But unloading Didi or Seguera gives them more payroll flexibility. Trading Bohm now would be selling low, unless someone still views the upside and low contract worth a deal.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Agree with several of your points, but that said imho the bolded portion above is less relevant with the Phillies because there is not much in the minor leagues for the Phillies to lose via "scorched earth". The fact that the current Phillies developmental system is already subpar is a different starting point than the GM's referenced previous history. 🤷‍♂️
Fair points but “scorched earth” is not confined to just unloading farm players for higher salary players. It’s also about having limited ability to unwind high priced contracts. Trading these guys is never easy. You either have to eat a lot of money or you won’t sniff another team’s best farm players. When you are unwinding, your trade partner normally has the leverage since you’ve made the decision to be a seller versus a buyer. It’s also about being hamstrung to compensate players advancing through the process. What happens if it clicks for Hoskins? You have a ton of money committed so paying a really productive Hoskins on a long term deal would be challenging to fit in. Say it clicks for Bohm as well. Signing him to a Kingery type contract at a higher number might be challenging as well too. If this goes south, it won’t be Dombrowski’s problem. He won’t be seeing the back side of this, he will be retired and maybe doing some consulting work between tee times. At some point for the long term health of the organization, you have to hit on farm picks and then develop them. That’s not Dombrowski’s strength. Dombrowski is Middleton’s guy to engineer a parade.

Signing Schwarber and Nick likely involved a ton of discussion between Dombowski and Middleton. They have pushed the chips fully in and Dombrowski had to convince Middleton that these signings materially moved the needle for a deep post season run. Middleton doesn’t just roll out the checkbook and tell his GM or Pres of Ops that they have free reign to the CBT amount and to get back to him when they need to go above CBT. They are still running a business here. Getting to the last wild card isn’t the vision here that Dombrowski is selling, it’s raising the trophy. They were already at the playoff door last year BEFORE these spends. I give Dombrowski credit. He has the cache that even with a team that still has big pitching issues, he got the owner to spend beyond a level never done before. That’s the cache he has that Klentak didn’t have.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Fair points but “scorched earth” is not confined to just unloading farm players for higher salary players. It’s also about having limited ability to unwind high priced contracts. Trading these guys is never easy. You either have to eat a lot of money or you won’t sniff another team’s best farm players. When you are unwinding, your trade partner normally has the leverage since you’ve made the decision to be a seller versus a buyer. It’s also about being hamstrung to compensate players advancing through the process. What happens if it clicks for Hoskins? You have a ton of money committed so paying a really productive Hoskins on a long term deal would be challenging to fit in. Say it clicks for Bohm as well. Signing him to a Kingery type contract at a higher number might be challenging as well too. If this goes south, it won’t be Dombrowski’s problem. He won’t be seeing the back side of this, he will be retired and maybe doing some consulting work between tee times. At some point for the long term health of the organization, you have to hit on farm picks and then develop them. That’s not Dombrowski’s strength. Dombrowski is Middleton’s guy to engineer a parade.

Signing Schwarber and Nick likely involved a ton of discussion between Dombowski and Middleton. They have pushed the chips fully in and Dombrowski had to convince Middleton that these signings materially moved the needle for a deep post season run. Middleton doesn’t just roll out the checkbook and tell his GM or Pres of Ops that they have free reign to the CBT amount and to get back to him when they need to go above CBT. They are still running a business here. Getting to the last wild card isn’t the vision here that Dombrowski is selling, it’s raising the trophy. They were already at the playoff door last year BEFORE these spends. I give Dombrowski credit. He has the cache that even with a team that still has big pitching issues, he got the owner to spend beyond a level never done before. That’s the cache he has that Klentak didn’t have.
Chips are not fully in. If they are in the hunt for playoffs or deep run, I am confident they will make further moves.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Bottom line, you don't hire Dombrowksi and he doesn't stick around if ownership is not committed to winning. Right now, the Phils have spent big money, including the tax, and held on to their top prospects. I hope there is the same focus on developing the farm system and international players. The international draft (if agreed to) may level the playing field more. But, this seems like a huge differentiator right now where the Phils have not really invested well.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
As long as the Phils hit more homeruns than commit errors in the field, things should be good.

• Wow
Reactions: Shadow99

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
As long as the Phils hit more homeruns than commit errors in the field, things should be good.
Big if based on what we've seen last few years, but I'm trying to be positive about the changes and what could lie ahead!

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Big if based on what we've seen last few years, but I'm trying to be positive about the changes and what could lie ahead!

Last year was 198 HRs and 94 errors. I would hope that they get to around 225-230 this year. Toronto somehow hit 262 HRs last year. Nuts.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Last year was 198 HRs and 94 errors. I would hope that they get to around 225-230 this year. Toronto somehow hit 262 HRs last year. Nuts.
And maybe those errors under 90, hopefully, or much lower in fact.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Well, just the institution of a DH in the NL means more home runs. How many home runs is a replacement value hitter over a pitcher worth? 10? 15?

The Phillies brought in two 30-homer guys. If they and Hoskins platoon at DH, then you figure that’s easily an extra 25 HRs over a pitcher and pinch hitter platoon from last season.

You’re almost at your target there. Then you have Castellanos and Schwarber as positional upgrades at the plate. Realmuto should also rebound to more homers.

The entire league will benefit from the DH switch, but I’d say they’re darn near a lock to hit your range.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

Seranthony threw it well today. Familia seemed to be near max effort to get to 97, Seranthony seemed to hit 97 much more easily and comfortable.

Spring Training games are meaningless but I was not encouraged by Bohm today. He fumbled one play trying a barehanded pick up and throw (no big deal since he has no chance or retiring the hitter) and then had a play where he went towards the hole but pulled the 1b’men off the bag on a bad throw. It was a play that an average to slightly above average fielder would make. He could not execute it.

At the plate, he gave away a couple of AB’s with a lazy pop up and an easy rollover ground out as well. Both were first pitch swings. It almost seemed like throw away AB’s. These were not good AB’s. I believe he is likely on a short leash and that a slow start could see him sent down.

One of the Phillies best moves IMO was their hiring of their new hitting coach. Harper and Schwarber both like him and I’m hopeful that he clicks well with Bohm. I really like where Bohm and Hoskins sit. Both have ZERO pressure on them in this lineup. They are guys to lengthen the lineup and leave a lot of the heavy lifting to Harper, JT, and the new sticks. Hoskins and Bohm should really benefit from the lack of focus on them. I’m hoping that both have nice seasons. It can’t be easier for them this year.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@MrTailgate -- have you had a chance to observe CF Johan Rojas? I know he was reassigned to minor league camp today, but the team seems to be really high on him.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Seranthony threw it well today. Familia seemed to be near max effort to get to 97, Seranthony seemed to hit 97 much more easily and comfortable.

Spring Training games are meaningless but I was not encouraged by Bohm today. He fumbled one play trying a barehanded pick up and throw (no big deal since he has no chance or retiring the hitter) and then had a play where he went towards the hole but pulled the 1b’men off the bag on a bad throw. It was a play that an average to slightly above average fielder would make. He could not execute it.

At the plate, he gave away a couple of AB’s with a lazy pop up and an easy rollover ground out as well. Both were first pitch swings. It almost seemed like throw away AB’s. These were not good AB’s. I believe he is likely on a short leash and that a slow start could see him sent down.

One of the Phillies best moves IMO was their hiring of their new hitting coach. Harper and Schwarber both like him and I’m hopeful that he clicks well with Bohm. I really like where Bohm and Hoskins sit. Both have ZERO pressure on them in this lineup. They are guys to lengthen the lineup and leave a lot of the heavy lifting to Harper, JT, and the new sticks. Hoskins and Bohm should really benefit from the lack of focus on them. I’m hoping that both have nice seasons. It can’t be easier for them this year.
Yeah, the struggles at the plate for Bohm have been a little puzzling. Yes, still a young player, so struggles are not uncommon. But, hitting was his meal ticket. Defense was a known issue at the draft with discussions of whether he could stick at 3B. That is playing out. But struggles at the plate were not foreseen. So, I hope you are right about the lack of pressure gives him time to figure it out with the new hitting coach.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Yeah, the struggles at the plate for Bohm have been a little puzzling. Yes, still a young player, so struggles are not uncommon. But, hitting was his meal ticket. Defense was a known issue at the draft with discussions of whether he could stick at 3B. That is playing out. But struggles at the plate were not foreseen. So, I hope you are right about the lack of pressure gives him time to figure it out with the new hitting coach.
I just can't figure out Bohm. So much potential, so little to show for it so far. Disappointing to say the least.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
@MrTailgate -- have you had a chance to observe CF Johan Rojas? I know he was reassigned to minor league camp today, but the team seems to be really high on him.
Yes sir. I think he can be a good potential fit for them. What impresses you most is how comfortable he is in the field. He has great speed and can really go get it. I have always liked my teams to be strong defensively in the middle of the field and that would come naturally for him. On that skill set alone, I think he’s got the ability to be good.

He’s fast and if the game pivots in any way to running more as an offensive weapon, he is a plus player in that capacity. He can run and I could see him being a base stealer if anyone cares about that.

The offensive part, I’m not so sure of. There are some who feel he will develop power and be a good combo of power and speed. Personally, I don’t see the power part quite yet and if he is slasher type, I’d leave him alone and let his offense revolve around that and his legs. I hope they don’t try to launch angle him into something he isn’t and ruin what might be there. I know some have used the words Acuna Jr. in describing him and that makes me cringe a bit.

He has skills and if he’s willing to work hard on his offense, there is something there for sure.

Aquapong

Oct 14, 2021
What Rube was talking about about the defense is right I think. They need to make the plays they are able to. Make the routine plays and limit unforced defensive errors. Limit the extra bases taken by just playing fundamental ball. Our defense won’t win us games, but it can lose us games. The offense meanwhile…I don’t think you can count us out at any point in the game.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Yes sir. I think he can be a good potential fit for them. What impresses you most is how comfortable he is in the field. He has great speed and can really go get it. I have always liked my teams to be strong defensively in the middle of the field and that would come naturally for him. On that skill set alone, I think he’s got the ability to be good.

He’s fast and if the game pivots in any way to running more as an offensive weapon, he is a plus player in that capacity. He can run and I could see him being a base stealer if anyone cares about that.

The offensive part, I’m not so sure of. There are some who feel he will develop power and be a good combo of power and speed. Personally, I don’t see the power part quite yet and if he is slasher type, I’d leave him alone and let his offense revolve around that and his legs. I hope they don’t try to launch angle him into something he isn’t and ruin what might be there. I know some have used the words Acuna Jr. in describing him and that makes me cringe a bit.

He has skills and if he’s willing to work hard on his offense, there is something there for sure.
That's exciting to hear and agree about not liking the comparisons. I still don't get why the game moved away from the running game. I understand the dingers and the paydays but should be complementary at minimum.

Reactions: Shadow99

delcoLion

Nov 14, 2021
In a DH world, there is a place for an Alex Bohm but I just don’t see the power. I guess Hoskins can DH and move Bohm to 1B would be worth a try.

It’s another example of a bad scouting/drafting/development in the Phillies organization. I hope Dombrowski has fixed that but I probably won’t be around to see it. That sort of fix is usually a 5 - 8 year effort.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Since the Phillies will be defensively challenged this year, perhaps they need to adopt this rule for their home games!

• Haha