2022 World Cup - General Discussion & Non-USA teams thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Japan with the equalizer in the 47th minute. Wow

Two good subs by the Japan coach at halftime.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Spain-Japan and Costa Rica-Germany.

Spain 4 points, +7 GD
Japan 3 points, 0 GD
CR 3 points, -6 GD
Germany 1 point, -1 GD

Easy scenario (the huge GD helps):

Germany must win, and hope that Spain wins or draws. If Spain draws, Germany must win by at least two goals. If Spain loses, Germany is eliminated.

Japan is win and in. Draw, they are in if Germany draws or wins by less than 2. Draw, they are eliminated if CR wins. Lose, check the GD.

Spain is in with least a draw. Lose, they are in if Germany wins or draws. Lose, they are eliminated if CR wins.

CR is win and in. Draw, they are in if Spain wins. Draw, they are eliminated with Spain loss or draw.
Bump

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Japan nearly with a goal to take the lead, but it appears the ball went OOB over the goal line just before the pass to the attacker that scored.

Edit: After VAR, it's a GOAL. 2-1, Japan over Spain early in the 2nd half

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: zenzub and BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This sport is amazing. Spain looked to be dominating Japan in the 1st half. Japan makes 2 subs at halftime, their high press creates some opportunities, and they have the lead 2-1 by the 50 minute mark.

Reactions: LionJim

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
This sport is amazing. Spain looked to be dominating Japan in the 1st half. Japan makes 2 subs at halftime, their high press creates some opportunities, and they have the lead 2-1 by the 50 minute mark.

Plus they clean the stadium.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
And Costa Rica ties it up in the 57th minute. This afternoon's games are unbelievable.

1-1, Costa Rica - Germany

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Both Spain and Germany being eliminated is a viable option. This would be the case of CR wins and the Spain -Japan score holds.

Tom, unbelievable is right. Germany hit two posts in the last ten minutes.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Costa Rica takes the lead off a free kick and some sloppy D

2-1, Costa Rica in the 69th minute!!!

Unbelievable

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Costa Rica takes the lead off a free kick and some sloppy D

2-1, Costa Rica in the 69th minute!!!

Unbelievable
I thought it might have been a handball, but if so zero chance VAR would have missed it.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Great save by the CR keeper, a blast right into the face.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
So none of those other guys practice? What they do with their feet is much harder to repeat consistently. Anyone who has played multiple sports realize this.
You’re not actually listening to what I’m saying. You just want to argue, and make it some kind of weird rush to defend soccer’s honor, for some reason. Have a nice day.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
So Germany can’t realistically move on, unless Japan loses?

or, wait, if Japan ties and Germany wins by 1, does Germany advance?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Spain-Japan and Costa Rica-Germany.

Spain 4 points, +7 GD
Japan 3 points, 0 GD
CR 3 points, -6 GD
Germany 1 point, -1 GD

Easy scenario (the huge GD helps):

Germany must win, and hope that Spain wins or draws. If Spain draws, Germany must win by at least two goals. If Spain loses, Germany is eliminated.

Japan is win and in. Draw, they are in if Germany draws or wins by less than 2. Draw, they are eliminated if CR wins. Lose, check the GD.

Spain is in with least a draw. Lose, they are in if Germany wins or draws. Lose, they are eliminated if CR wins.

CR is win and in. Draw, they are in if Spain wins. Draw, they are eliminated with Spain loss or draw.
Bump for @Moogy

Reactions: Moogy

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Mrs. Seinfeld to the World Cup:

How could anyone not like you?!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
A mile offsides. edit: a situation where I didn’t quite know the rule. CR 2-4 Germany. Spain must tie for Germany to move on.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
A mile offsides. edit: a situation where I didn’t quite know the rule. CR 2-4 Germany. Spain must tie for Germany to move on.
I’ve switched to Japan-Spain, four minutes of stoppage time left. Germany has done all they could, win by at least two goals. If Spain manages to tie, Spain and Germany move on.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

sorry, I switched to the Spain - Japan match. Can't help you on a rule interp for a play I didn't see.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Final: Japan defeats Spain, 2-1. Japan finishes 1st in Group E, Spain finishes 2nd, and German is out of the tournament.

Un-be-liev-able

what an afternoon of soccer. it doesn't get much better.

Reactions: zenzub and LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve switched to Japan-Spain, four minutes of stoppage time left. Germany has done all they could, win by at least two goals. If Spain manages to tie, Spain and Germany move on.
It will be Japan and Spain moving on. Happy for the Japanese fans, awesome fans, none better.

Reactions: zenzub and BobPSU92

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Well, Belgium and Germany going home, USA alive. How do you like them apples?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
A mile offsides. edit: a situation where I didn’t quite know the rule.

so I finally saw the play. Germany has a player in an offside position (in part because he pushed the CR defender, which could have been called). Another German player from outside the box sends in a centering pass toward the far post. A German attacker runs toward the pass. He was very, very close to being offside. However, he was not called offside by the AR. That player then gets to the ball, and chests it backward to his teammate -- the aforementioned guy that was in the offside position when the pass was made. When the ball is touched by the attacker that chested it backward, it resets things. If he had chested it forward to a teammate who kicked it in, that teammate would have been offside. Because he chested it backward to the aforementioned teammate, who then kicked the ball in, there was no offside on the play.

All scores are reviewed by VAR. Based on that, we can presume that the attacker that I mentioned as being very, very close to being offside was not offside.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: zenzub and LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
so I finally saw the play. Germany has a player in an offside position (in part because he pushed the CR defender, which could have been called). Another German player from outside the box sends in a centering pass toward the far post. A German attacker runs toward the pass. He was very, very close to being offside. However, he was not called offside by the AR. That player then gets to the ball, and chests it backward to his teammate -- the aforementioned guy that was in the offside position when the pass was made. When the ball is touched by the attacker that chested it backward, it resets things. If he had chested it forward to a teammate who kicked it in, that teammate would have been offside. Because he chested it backward to the aforementioned teammate, who then kicked the ball in, there was no offside on the play.

All scores are reviewed by VAR. Based on that, we can presume that the attacker that I mentioned as being very, very close to being offside was not offside.

I hope that helps.
So if the German player in the box had chested the ball forward instead of backward, it would have been offsides?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Alexi Lalas can be a blowhard at times.

On the 2nd goal by Japan, I freely acknowledge that it's debatable as to whether the ball was over the goal line before it was passed to the attacker that scored. Unless we are provided with all the video that the VAR officials looked at, that debate will never be resolved.

The ruling by VAR was that it was indeterminate as to whether or not the ball was out of bounds. As such, the ruling on the field stands.

Lalas keeps going on and on that the AR raised the flag. However, on the far half of the goal line (i.e., the part of the goal line on the other side of the goal from the AR), the decision on whether or not it's OOB is made by the center ref. FWIW, even on the same side of the goal as the AR, the AR's raising of the flag to signal OOB is taken as a recommendation or guidance, but the ruling is still left to the center ref. Most of the time the center ref will go with the AR's ruling, but they do not have to if they have a different opinion. The final decision is left to the center ref. So, despite what Lalas is claiming, the ruling on the field is not based on what the AR did, but on what the center ref called.

To expand a bit upon this, for @ 5 years before VAR was first employed in 2016, FIFA allowed goal-line judges to be employed along the goal line, in addition to the 3 refs. Their responsibility was solely for the goal line, primarily to determine whether or not a ball in the goal completely crossed the goal line. For reasons that never made a lot of sense to me, the goal line refs were placed on the same side of the field/goal line as were the ARs. So while they were an improvement on determining whether or not a ball crossed the line, they at times got in the way of the AR seeing whether a ball crossed the goal line outside of the goal.

The area of the goal line that is absolutely the most difficult for the AR to make calls on is just on the other side of the goal from where they are standing. The two goal posts, and at times the goalie and players, are between the AR and the goal line, and you can't see through them. That's why the center ref is responsible for calls on that part of the line.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So if the German player in the box had chested the ball forward instead of backward, it would have been offsides?

yes or no; it depends.

yes if he chested it forward to a player that was ahead of him, and also ahead of the 2nd to the last defender

no if he chested it forward and a player that was behind him ran up and kicked the ball in