2022 World Cup - USA team thread

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
True! Instead of Yedlin, he would have had Demarcus Beasley in

Instead of Scally, who is a 19 year old starting in the Bundesliga.
It really is frustrating to see some of the coaching decisions being made over the past few months with this squad. The US roster is young, but I'd at least like the coach put the team in the best position to succeed and then see what happens. But I will still be cheering the boys on against England, no matter who is in the starting lineup.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
True! Instead of Yedlin, he would have had Demarcus Beasley in

Instead of Scally, who is a 19 year old starting in the Bundesliga.
I read Bruce’s actual comments about the game and he had some criticism for Berhalter. He said he would have brought on subs earlier and, attacking subs at that. I have to say that I agree with him on that point.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
But we should give Wales credit for the run up to their goal, the throw-in was perfectly executed. I’m thinking of the last-second TCU field goal that won the game, that exhibited same kind of awareness and execution.
Or was it? :mad: 😒 😞

Reactions: LionJim

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Harry Kane may be questionable Friday as he is having his ankle examined. He tweaked it vs Iran. He has a bad ankle history.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Zimmerman will take care of that for us.

o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
one of the all-time biggest upsets in World Cup history. The USA goal was assisted by the late, great PSU soccer coach Walter Bahr. (Some reports that Bahr's shot would have scored, but that Joe Gaetjens tapped it in and thus was credited as the goal scorer.)

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Anyone watching the England game today? Who are our best players to watch for?

wouldn't miss it for almost anything, including a PSU football game (which I rarely miss).

As for the best players on the US team, they're all good. The ones that should be looked at on offense:

- Haji Wright: he's starting up front.
- Christian Pulisic: he attracts a lot of attention from the other team, and either sets up scores or makes scores with his runs
- Tim Weah: really fast, and often creates match-up problems for other teams. His play is different than Pulisic's, but he should cause issues for England
- Weston McKinnie: he's an excellent player in the midfield. He seemed to have a pulled muscle in his thigh or in his groin, in the 2nd half of the match against Wales, so England will probably test him early to see if the injury is still limiting him
- Yunus Musah: another interesting player that can cause problems for the opposition.

Concerns:
- Sergino Dest: in the 1st game, Wales seemed to be taking advantage of him, so England is likely to attack whenever they are matched up around him
- in general, can the USA score enough against England, and can they handle the scoring pressure that England will likely throw at them
- Gio Reyna may be the USA's best scorer, but he didn't play in the match against Wales. He was supposed to be available for today's match, and perhaps he is, but he's not starting

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Anyone watching the England game today? Who are our best players to watch for?

I should have mentioned Tyler Adams as well. He's the center midfielder for the USA. As the match is likely to be won or lost in the midfield, his play is likely to be crucial. He's been very solid during qualifying, and was excellent against Wales.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
USA had a rough patch from about the 9 minute mark to @ the 17 minute mark, where England was really dominating. Kane had a good opportunity that a US defender blocked out for an England corner. After that, the USA's play improved, and McKinnie had a great opportunity at a goal but knocked it high. Still 0-0 at the 30 minute mark.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
0-0 at the half

highlights for the USA:

the shot missed by McKinnie:

Pulisic's shot hit the crossbar:

Header by Pulisic went wide:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Do you have any idea why many of your posts are showing up blank for me?

no, I haven't a clue.

Are you not seeing the tweets? Or are you not seeing anything in the post? Since you quoted part of a post, I'm guessing it's just the tweets.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
2 thoughts:

We were at our best offensively on rushes rather slowly bringing the ball up.

We need to apply pressure earlier on the defensive end. We're allowing ENG to get too deep.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Also, Moore in for Dest. That is somewhat surprising, as Dest has had a strong game so far.

By contrast, England is making their 3rd sub at this time.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Also, Moore in for Dest. That is somewhat surprising, as Dest has had a strong game so far.

By contrast, England is making their 3rd sub at this time.
Dest got a yellow against Wales; the announcers speculated that this might be the reason.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Zimmerman with a dumb pass that's a turnover, then Musah with a foul outside the penalty area for a FK for England in the 92nd minute.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Final: 0-0

Great effort by the USA. They had a lot of opportunities, but couldn't get a goal. England was on their heels for a good bit of the 2nd half, but nearly scored in stoppage time.

Nice match.