2022 World Cup - USA team thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Final: 0-0

Great effort by the USA. They had a lot of opportunities, but couldn't get a goal. England was on their heels for a good bit of the 2nd half, but nearly scored in stoppage time.

Nice match.
Too many passes to the guy with three white jerseys within ten feet of him.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Right now it’s England 4, Iran 4, US 2, Wales 1. A tie would give us 3 points. We need a win.

Your conclusion is correct (the US needs to win), but the details are incorrect. Current standings in Group B:

England - 4
Iran - 3
USA - 2
Wales - 1

Reactions: LionJim

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Iran advances with a draw. Expect a game of keep away and taking dives. Going to be frustrating to watch

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Iran advances with a draw. Expect a game of keep away and taking dives. Going to be frustrating to watch
If Wales beats England and Iran draws then England, Wales, Iran would each have four points. Goal differential is the first tiebreak. Wales and Iran are both -2 GD. If Wales wins they will be -1 GD at worst, and if Iran ties they’d still be at -2, so Wales would get in over Iran. England is at +4 at the moment.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Some thoughts:

- a draw is a fear on a couple of levels:

1) The USA has played really well from their goal to the opposing penalty area, but has had trouble scoring
2) the Iran that bested Wales was much better than the Iran that lost decisively to England

- keep away and dives:

1) Iran advances with a tie, so it's to their advantage to play defensive
2) dives or embellishments happen in almost any soccer game. Most good refs (and so far most of the reffing in the WC has been excellent) can see through that and not award diving or embellishing

- going to be frustrating to watch:

1) perhaps; hard to know for sure
2) if the US ties or loses, it will be very frustrating
3) if the US wins, it won't be so frustrating
4) other than the offensive challenges mentioned above, I think the USA is the bette team (between Iran and USA), and as such expect to be watching a USA victory

Last edited:

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
I was impressed by how disciplined the US was, keeping the tempo slow with a nice defensive structure, and avoiding a track meet. That said, woof, they need someone up front who can finish, or at least be a threat to.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
If Wales beats England and Iran draws then England, Wales, Iran would each have four points. Goal differential is the first tiebreak. Wales and Iran are both -2 GD. If Wales wins they will be -1 GD at worst, and if Iran ties they’d still be at -2, so Wales would get in over Iran. England is at +4 at the moment.
Yes, this is one thing that could work in our favor because if Wales is winning, Iran can’t park the bus and settle on a draw if the score is tied.

Reactions: Hlstone

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Some thoughts:

- a draw is a fear on a couple of levels:

1) The USA has played really well from their goal to the opposing penalty area, but has had trouble scoring
2) the Iran that bested Wales was much better than the Iran that lost decisively to England

- keep away and dives:

1) Iran advances with a tie, so it's to their advantage to play defensive
2) dives or embellishments happen in almost any soccer game. Most good refs (and so far most of the reffing in the WC has been excellent) can see through that and not award diving or embellishing

- going to be frustrating to watch:

1) perhaps; hard to know for sure
2) if the US ties or loses, it will be very frustrating
3) if the US wins, it won't be so frustrating
4) other than the offensive challenges mentioned above, I think the USA is the bette team (between Iran and USA), and as such expect to be watching a USA victory
Once (if?) the US scores, the tactics will change and really open up the game.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Reason #34 or so I've been unable to get into soccer, even though I've tried over and over again ...

The ESPN headline following the US-England match was "USMNT Dominant in Draw against England."

My tiny little 'Murican brain just can't find a way to process "dominance" and a draw being written to describe one another.

Reactions: LionJim and Psu00

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
I was pretty damn impressed with the US effort.
Wish they would have put one of there chances in the net in the first half, as I expect England would have been far more aggressive the 2nd half if they were trailing.
Kane was neutralized for 80+ minutes of the game.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Kane was neutralized for 80+ minutes of the game.

sorta. To some extent I think England tries too hard to set him up, and at times it hurts the team.

But he had the two best opportunities for England all match (the centering pass in the 1st half where he kicked it from @ the 6 but it deflected off Zimmerman for a corner, and the header off the FK in the 2nd half where he hit it wide). And he had multiple other touches that caused the USA to have to react. (England had one other dangerous shot where Turner had to dive and deflected it for a corner. I don't think Kane struck that, but I'm not certain of that.)

Contrast that to Wright, who was attempting to play the same role for the USA. He was a non-factor on set pieces, and I don't think he had a good shot on goal the entire match (possible that he did and I just forgot about it).

Most of us have watched Kane wreck havoc up front for years, so in that context, the USA D did a very nice job of mostly neutralizing him. But as I mentioned above, he still had 2 of the best opportunities of the match.

I was pretty damn impressed with the US effort.

A win would have been even sweeter, but considering what we saw from the USMNT in the last 2 friendlies before the WC, today's performance by them was very impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarkstonMark

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Reason #34 or so I've been unable to get into soccer, even though I've tried over and over again ...

The ESPN headline following the US-England match was "USMNT Dominant in Draw against England."

My tiny little 'Murican brain just can't find a way to process "dominance" and a draw being written to describe one another.
I’m there with you. Not a soccer fan at all but if you put a USA jersey on in a tournament I’ll root for you.

I know England was the definite favorite,(heavy favorite?), and so a tie is generally good since most thought they’d lose. But, it’s very odd to hear people classifying a scoreless tie as ‘brilliant and dominant’.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021

That’s because you aren’t the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I’m there with you. Not a soccer fan at all but if you put a USA jersey on in a tournament I’ll root for you.

I know England was the definite favorite,(heavy favorite?), and so a tie is generally good since most thought they’d lose. But, it’s very odd to hear people classifying a scoreless tie as ‘brilliant and dominant’.
They need to start scoring soccer like horse shoes, if it’s close you get a point, if it hits the bar, you get two, if it goes in you get three. I mean the game highlights are near misses, so give them some points for them.

• Haha
Reactions: Psu00

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
We’ll, I guess the this next game is effectively the USMNT’s ‘Rutgers game’. They are expected to win (?) and this is Iran’s Super Bowl. Beat or tie the hated USA and advance plus knock out the USA at the same time. Team better come out on fire and score early or it could be a long day.

• Haha

Latest posts