2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
On a positive note about today, my biggest concern all year has been our defensive rebounding; Indiana is not a strong offensive rebounding team. They play 4 out, so they are usually not in a good position to grab an offensive rebound. McKenzie Holmes is an extraordinary finesse 5--excellent footwork on the offensive end--but she's not a banger on the glass. This is a game where we could a lot of minutes out of Kitts, leaving Cardoso, Watkins and Feagin to defend Holmes at various times.

Of course, to get a defensive rebound, they have to miss. They lead the nation in field goal percentage, so that's the challenge today.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Just reported on “the Athletic” website/app & sharing here:

‘Dawn Staley to be focus of new documentary on women’s basketball evolution’:

Dawn Staley’s prolific basketball existence is heading to the big screen. The South Carolina coach will be the focus of a new documentary that will track the evolution of women’s basketball through the arc of the former Olympian and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer’s career.

The project is still in the early stages, but the production team has filmed Staley at different points during this season, including for South Carolina’s season opener in Paris against Notre Dame; a game against LSU in Baton Rouge in January; a February game against UConn in Columbia, S.C.; and again in March for the regular-season finale against Tennessee in Columbia. A crew will also be at the Final Four in Cleveland with Staley if South Carolina makes it. The top-seeded Gamecocks face No. 4 Indianaon Friday in the Sweet 16.
The film is being co-directed by Kristen Lappas and Sarah Springer. It will be financed and produced by Teton Ridge Entertainment, headed by Thomas Tull, a minority owner of the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers and MLB’s New York Yankees and a board member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Lappas’ employer, the content company Words+Pictures, is also a producer on the film.

“Nobody’s career and personal life has followed the trajectory of the evolution of women’s basketball in the same way as Dawn’s has,” said Lappas, who also directed “Giannis: The Marvelous Journey,” which aired globally on Amazon Prime Video. “You can basically tell the story of women’s basketball via a focused lens through the career and life of Dawn Staley and how she impacted the game. Eventually, (Tull), (Hock), myself, and Dawn and her team all talked. … Three weeks after that conversation, we traveled to Paris to start shooting her.”

Lappas said they will film with Staley through December, including a trip to Staley’s native Philadelphia. The crew expects to interview 30 people, including Hall of Famers such as Nancy Lieberman and Lisa Leslie as well as current players like the Phoenix Mercury’s Diana Taurasi and USC freshman JuJu Watkins. The target is for the film to air in the spring of 2025.

kudos to CDS

USMC1974

Feb 28, 2024
My first memories of following WBB were when I was living in Virginia Beach in the late 70s/early 80s. Old Dominion, coached by Marianne Stanley, featured Nancy Lieberman and Anne Donovan. This was in the AIWA days. I also remember reading about LA Tech, coached by Leon Barrymore (sp?). Then Cheryl Swoopes at Texas Tech. The old days of WBB…

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
My first memories of following WBB were when I was living in Virginia Beach in the late 70s/early 80s. Old Dominion, coached by Marianne Stanley, featured Nancy Lieberman and Anne Donovan. This was in the AIWA days. I also remember reading about LA Tech, coached by Leon Barrymore (sp?). Then Cheryl Swoopes at Texas Tech. The old days of WBB…
William Leon Barmore (born June 3, 1944)

Reactions: winloseortie

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

Dawn Staley’s prolific basketball existence is heading to the big screen. The South Carolina coach will be the focus of a new documentary that will track the evolution of women’s basketball through the arc of the former Olympian and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer’s career.

The project is still in the early stages, but the production team has filmed Staley at different points during this season, including for South Carolina’s season opener in Paris against Notre Dame; a game against LSU in Baton Rouge in January; a February game against UConn in Columbia, S.C.; and again in March for the regular-season finale against Tennessee in Columbia. A crew will also be at the Final Four in Cleveland with Staley if South Carolina makes it. The top-seeded Gamecocks face No. 4 Indianaon Friday in the Sweet 16.
The film is being co-directed by Kristen Lappas and Sarah Springer. It will be financed and produced by Teton Ridge Entertainment, headed by Thomas Tull, a minority owner of the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers and MLB’s New York Yankees and a board member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Lappas’ employer, the content company Words+Pictures, is also a producer on the film.

“Nobody’s career and personal life has followed the trajectory of the evolution of women’s basketball in the same way as Dawn’s has,” said Lappas, who also directed “Giannis: The Marvelous Journey,” which aired globally on Amazon Prime Video. “You can basically tell the story of women’s basketball via a focused lens through the career and life of Dawn Staley and how she impacted the game. Eventually, (Tull), (Hock), myself, and Dawn and her team all talked. … Three weeks after that conversation, we traveled to Paris to start shooting her.”

Lappas said they will film with Staley through December, including a trip to Staley’s native Philadelphia. The crew expects to interview 30 people, including Hall of Famers such as Nancy Lieberman and Lisa Leslie as well as current players like the Phoenix Mercury’s Diana Taurasi and USC freshman JuJu Watkins. The target is for the film to air in the spring of 2025.

kudos to CDS
While not insignificant in any case, another championship would add to her patina.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022

kudos to CDS
That Watkins plays for Southern Cal, not USC. I know you're quoting, but you know better.😉
AIAW (Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women).

Reactions: USCEDGE

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
I don't have a problem with Dawn bringing dogs to whatever she wants. It's her program. However, I have to raise my hand. I'm not infatuated with dogs and there have been friends and family members that I don't visit them too fast because of their dogs. Some people don't control their dogs and not all people want dogs sniffing all up on them. Sniffing their food, etc. You don't want to tell them because you don't want to hurt their feelings. So, you just stop coming around.
Your dinner invitation has been rescinded.

• Haha
Reactions: USCEDGE

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
1st half of the game has gone as expected: OSU shooting 58% and outrebounding Notre Dame by 8 but only up 1 because they are -11 in the turnover margin.

I thought Oregon St was unathletical from watching them on PAC--12 Friday night, but, wow, compared to the Irish they are as slow as molasses in January. Scary, though. They know who they are and play at a slow pace.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
She has worn a band aid over it for 33 previous officiating crews who have cleared her to play
The bad part is that this was not addressed at the start of the tournament if it was so important. That crew makes all the previous officials look bad and may have a direct impact on the outcome of a game. Hope whatever official that decided to follow through with that has some seniority. If not, he/she/they won't last long. Way to be a team player and make all of your fellow officials look stupid.

Reactions: cockyclt

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
OSU with 26 turnovers but 60% shooting. Inside play is good but guard play appears to be suspect....

Apr 5, 2022

My first memories don't go back that far... I got hooked during the 2-3 good years under Walvius and I started reading up and looking around. One memory that sticks out from that time was Dawn Staley in Athens. Was great to see her introduced in Columbia a few years later!

Dreaus

Sep 10, 2022
What BS in the ND/OSU game. Hidalgo has played with a nostril stud for 33 games with no complaints. Gets put out of the game til it is taken out. She misses over 4 minutes of play
Great accessment, I questioned why would you not call a play in her favor when you are down 3. The shot gets blocked, Oregon is in total control.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
What BS in the ND/OSU game. Hidalgo has played with a nostril stud for 33 games with no complaints. Gets put out of the game til it is taken out. She misses over 4 minutes of play
I hate how that complete rattled her. She started off strong and pressed ever since.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
My first memories don't go back that far... I got hooked during the 2-3 good years under Walvius and I started reading up and looking around. One memory that sticks out from that time was Dawn Staley in Athens. Was great to see her introduced in Columbia a few years later!
I remember the Parsons era well in Columbia. She was the real deal as a coach. She could have been what Summitt became, but short-circuited it all by becoming (reportedly) "involved" inappropriately with a player.

• Sad
Reactions: germangamecock

Latest posts