2024 NCAA Championship Session I Thread

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
You guys need to do better for your play by play. I’ll wait for Tom and Greg. lol.

Gregm0415

Nov 4, 2021
The amount of commercials on ESPN is absolutely insane. You get maybe half of a period of a match and they go to commercial. It's almost not worth it to air it like this.

• Love
Reactions: bohucon

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: #1 seed Aaron Brooks vs #33 seed Evan Bates (NW) -- I'll use EB

Per 1
EB shoots, and AB with a counter for the TD, 3-0. EB up after a short time and gets the esc, 3-1. AB in on a single and gets the TD, 6-1. AB with a good ride. End. RT @ 1:52 for Brooks

Per 2
AB takes bottom. He works to his feet and he's out in 8 sec, 7-1. Ear-to-ear for a bit. And again. AB in on a doubler the TD, 10-1. He cuts him, 10-2. AB with a single for a TD, 13-2. He cuts him, 13-3. AB in again for a TD, 16-3. End RT @ 2:34 for AB

Per 3
EB takes bottom. He's out in @ 6 sec, 16-4. AB shoots again and gets the TD for a 19-4 TF @ 5:24!!!!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
That is why I listen on Lion vision to Byers. He is very objective and easy to listen too.

objective -- I'm not so sure about that
easy to listen to -- for sure

I like Jeff, and chat with him any time I attend a PSU match. He's a good PBP announcer, and certainly makes the matches entertaining. His comments about refs, or things that should be called, are, as I've said in the past, frequently inaccurate, so that's why I don't give him a check mark on being objective. To a large extent, I think that if you've never been a wrestling ref, it's hard to analyze what should or should not be called.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021

I like Jeff, and chat with him any time I attend a PSU match. He's a good PBP announcer, and certainly makes the matches entertaining. His comments about refs, or things that should be called, are, as I've said in the past, frequently inaccurate, so that's why I don't give him a check mark on being objective. To a large extent, I think that if you've never been a wrestling ref, it's hard to analyze what should or should not be called.
I agree Tom. I should have said that he will admit when a PSU wrestler does not wrestle well. He did that today with the Nagao match.

I have not wrestled since 9th grade in 1970 so I appreciate your expertise on call the PBP and refereeing since you are a ref for Wrestling matches.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Any updates on mat 8 situation? Byers is making it sound very serious.
Looked to me like Bullock's head right up into the bottom of Soldato's jaw then drove him pretty hard onto the mat. So I'd guess concussion or nerve stinger in neck? Seemed to be moving extremities? but don't want to speculate.

edit: took him off in stretcher, but imagine that's protocol for anything even close to questioning head/neck/back

Reactions: hohmadw1978

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Beard looks good, solved gas issues, good for him. Didn’t realize he was 4 seed

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Updated second session match list for Penn State:

125 pounds: No. 1 Braeden Davis, Penn State. vs. No. 17 Brett Ungar, Cornell

133 pounds: No. 10 Aaron Nagao, PSU vs. No. 26 Kade Moore, Missouri (consolation bracket)

141 pounds:
No. 2 Beau Bartlett, Penn State vs. No. 15 Mitch Moore, Rutgers

149 pounds: No. 7 Tyler Kasak, PSU vs. No. 23 Drew Roberts, Minnesota (consolation)

157 pounds:
No. 1 Levi Haines, PSU vs. No. 16 Teague Travis, Oklahoma State

165 pounds: No. 2 Mitchell Mesenbrink, Penn State vs. No. 15 Brevin Cassella, Binghamton

174 pounds: No. 9 Carter Starocci, PSU vs. No. 8 Adam Kemp, Cal Poly

184 pounds: No. 6 Bernie Truax, Penn State vs. No. 11 Colton Hawks, Missouri

197 pounds: No. 1 Aaron Brooks, PSU vs. No. 17 Joseph Novak, Wyoming

BlueAndWhite86

Dec 5, 2023
Updated second session match list for Penn State:

125 pounds: No. 1 Braeden Davis, Penn State. vs. No. 17 Brett Ungar, Cornell

133 pounds: No. 10 Aaron Nagao, PSU vs. No. 26 Kade Moore, Missouri (consolation bracket)

141 pounds:
No. 2 Beau Bartlett, Penn State vs. No. 15 Mitch Moore, Rutgers

149 pounds: No. 7 Tyler Kasak, PSU vs. No. 23 Drew Roberts, Minnesota (consolation)

157 pounds:
No. 1 Levi Haines, PSU vs. No. 16 Teague Travis, Oklahoma State

165 pounds: No. 2 Mitchell Mesenbrink, Penn State vs. No. 15 Brevin Cassella, Binghamton

174 pounds: No. 9 Carter Starocci, PSU vs. No. 8 Adam Kemp, Cal Poly

184 pounds: No. 6 Bernie Truax, Penn State vs. No. 11 Colton Hawks, Missouri

197 pounds: No. 1 Aaron Brooks, PSU vs. No. 17 Joseph Novak, Wyoming
What time is the 2nd round? My daughter is coming for dinner. She doesn’t know it yet, but she’s going to fall in love with college wrestling tonight.

fp

May 6, 2022

Plenty of people who have never reffed are capable of analyzing what should or should not be called. Everyone from former wrestlers to coaches and even pbp announcers. Heck, there are plenty of refs that are terrible at it.

Latest posts