2024 NCAA Championship Session VI Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
My friend and I took Aaron to his first Penn State match and introduced him to coach Cody after match

I remember you mentioning that several years ago. Once again, I think you for taking the action. Aaron is a great guy; one of the most relaxed and happy-to-speak-with you PSU wrestlers I've had the pleasure to meet and chat with over the years.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
I was thinking that maybe it's time to consider breaking up penn state wrestling...like Google/meta/ and other large dominant corporations who are so successful.
Maybe we limit penn state to only 8 weight class wrestlers and force forfeits in the other two weight classes. Or at the end of each season Penn state be required to transfer to Iowa or ohio state any single wrestler of their competitor's choice....like a draft....
We need a little more balance or equity in the sport. Penn State is simply too successful and that should not be allowed.

Just a thought for the times.
You could have combined Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa’s teams, given them two wrestlers in each weight class to score points and PSU would have still won. I’m not sure what you suggest would be enough to create balance.

• Wow
Reactions: Jim from Spicewood
Dec 23, 2021
I remember you mentioning that several years ago. Once again, I think you for taking the action. Aaron is a great guy; one of the most relaxed and happy-to-speak-with you PSU wrestlers I've had the pleasure to meet and chat with over the years.
For sure Tom. I have only had 1 opportunity so far to talk with M2, but from that initial conversation I suspect he is very much the same way.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
As I have posted in the past, I have met Carter several times and have gotten to know him. I look at it as a strong sense of self. Has he been emotionally intelligent with some of his comments? No. But when we were that age, we all probably said some things that we would like to take back.

Our second chat talked about overcoming adversity. The knee injury that he has was no easy task for him to wrestle. But he thought through it, kept his wits about him and changed his wrestling strategy to win the National Championship.
With humility, I must concede that I was an exception. When I called someone a motherf*cker, I never wanted to take it back.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Well, never a full fledged conversation, but last year in columbASS, I bought tickets on the floor literally next to the team bench. After introductions, the team heads to the bench/locker room and he -Brooks - stops, looks at my Penn State t-shirt and fist bumps me. Smiles and says - nice. I like it. That’s my interaction with greatness.
Coach Casey stops and asks me how I was able to get these tickets. We talked a few minutes about travel to State College and columbASS.

OL

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I agree with @LB99. Coming into the tournament, Brooks had a 94 percent bonus rate during the season. The next closest wrestler t that was Trent Hidlay, who he beat in the finals, at 86 percent. Brooks also was named the NCAA's most dominant wrestler with a score in that category of 4.88 (I apologize but I have no idea how that's calculated). Second place was Hidlay at 4.78. Those two plus O'Toole were the only three capable of winning the Hodge coming into the tournament in my opinion, and Brooks left no doubt about who the winner should be in Kansas City. The story was written last night and will sit in our admin's drafts until the Hodge is announced and I can turn it on.

As for the timing of that announcement, the 2023 Hodge was announced on March 27 and the tournament was March 16-18. In 2022, the tournament ran March 17-19 with the winner being announced March 28. So, I'd expect this year's winner to be announced on Mon, April 1 if that trend continues.
Parker K is a reasonable option, not my option but for people looking for any reason to go with someone other than Brooks. This should be a minority vote, less than 5%

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Parker K is a reasonable option, not my option but for people looking for any reason to go with someone other than Brooks. This should be a minority vote, less than 5%
Yep, agreed.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
It is hard to get psu haters to watch when they know the tournament is clinched. It isn't like basketball or football where you can root for the other team to win. The title was already decided.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Is Spey implying PSU fatigue? (Or is he actually saying it?)
I don't think so? His point, I believe, is that the numbers aren't showing major dips (or major rise) despite what that chart looks like, and in his replies he points to that being a positive in the cord cutting era.

From a completely unrelated to his tweet and anecdotal perspective, I can't help but wonder how many people tuned out during the marathon 133 match and never came back.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I don't think so? His point, I believe, is that the numbers aren't showing major dips (or major rise) despite what that chart looks like, and in his replies he points to that being a positive in the cord cutting era.

From a completely unrelated to his tweet and anecdotal perspective, I can't help but wonder how many people tuned out during the marathon 133 match and never came back.
That was ridiculous.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021

To that point, it seems that’s how Iowa & Ok State are taught…don’t wrestle, hang around the edge, blood time, lungers when the other guy develops an advantage. Makes you think DT may be right about adding the push out. If so, I wonder if we can expect Iowa, Ok St etc to contest it?

As Cael was heard to say to a ref (and is applicable here): “You’re killing our sport”.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMAC41 and gslachta

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
it's always fun to see a lateral drop -- kind of surprising that anyone at Nationals gets caught by one.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Cael’s right. We definitely need a step out point. Wrestler’s wouldn’t stay on the edge’s then. It does in fact hurt the sport.

Latest posts