Bourbon thread

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
Drove from Nashville to Texas (950 miles) a couple of weeks ago. There was nothing in Arkansas, but scored my body weight in Weller Special Reserve ($29) and Buffalo Trace ($29) along various stops in Texas. Even found a Weller 12 at a "reasonable" price ($72) and a Larceny Barrel Proof ($60), which I'm a huge fan of.

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
Drove from Nashville to Texas (950 miles) a couple of weeks ago. There was nothing in Arkansas, but scored my body weight in Weller Special Reserve ($29) and Buffalo Trace ($29) along various stops in Texas. Even found a Weller 12 at a "reasonable" price ($72) and a Larceny Barrel Proof ($60), which I'm a huge fan of.

Good score!!!

Reactions: OutsiderDawg

34fsu

Aug 11, 2022
I have all those, just got a Woodfords reserve dbl oaked. Pretty good stuff. Also a Redemption not bad either.

Reactions: sdwexler

thomasna

Nov 11, 2021
If anyone goes to Louisville for a stop along the bourbon trail I highly recommend getting a smoked old-fashioned at Swizzle downtown. Went in June. They bring out each old-fashioned in a smoke box. The presentation is A+ and it is delicious. Best I've ever had.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Not a bourbon but have y’all tried Whistlepig’s Piggyback 6 year rye? It’s 100% rye, which you’d think would be a smack in the face. I thought Old Forester and Michter’s have more of a punch than this did.
Piggyback great in Old Fashioneds. I picked up a bottle of the Big Papi Piggyback which was distilled with wood from his baseball bats. Haven’t cracked it open yet.

Zoo Commander

Joined May 14, 2007
Jan 22, 2022
Grabbed some Four Roses single barrel, Buffalo Trace, Blantons. Ready for old man Winter.

FallenAngel9

Oct 5, 2021
Picked up a bottle of Bookers, Bookers Little Book, and 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace in PA yesterday. Missed the delivery of Blanton’s by a couple hours.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
My go to is Makers Mark as a good all around sipper. It may be a tad sweeter than most others. But based on recommendations from the other board I’ve acquired a taste for Legent. And I also like Buffalo Trace, perhaps my favorite, and Bulleit for mixing in old fashion cocktails after observing the practice at Butcher and Singer steakhouse in Philadelphia where they are known for classic cocktails. It probably has a little more bite. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the above. I think I have a bit of Elijah Craig kicking around somewhere in my liquor cabinet as well.

Last edited:

OKC_Cock

Joined Feb 5, 2003
Jan 31, 2022
Woodinville out of Washington
Garrison Brothers out of TX
1663854895008.png

Reactions: thomasna

mr.robot

Jan 30, 2022
Angel's Envy Cask Strength, just picked it up locally.. They had 2 bottles but would not let me buy both.. lol

Regular Angel's Envy(Port Barrel) is my go to lately, so looking forward to trying this one.. Just a little at a time though, 62% alcohol.

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
what i'm locked in on right now

Love this stuff....I have two bottles right now but its very hard to find around me. I live in Northern Virginia and liquor is regulated by the state (ABC), which makes it hard to find good stuff around here. It sells fast because there is no markup. I usually have to drive into DC/Maryland to find good stuff...frustrating!!

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
Love this stuff....I have two bottles right now but its very hard to find around me. I live in Northern Virginia and liquor is regulated by the state (ABC), which makes it hard to find good stuff around here. It sells fast because there is no markup. I usually have to drive into DC/Maryland to find good stuff...frustrating!!
nice! yeah, had it at a wedding a few months back and loved it. sidebar: NOVA is one of the prettiest areas in the country (specifically in Fall). Lived in VA for four years.

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
nice! yeah, had it at a wedding a few months back and loved it. sidebar: NOVA is one of the prettiest areas in the country (specifically in Fall). Lived in VA for four years.

haaa, absolutely!! the leaves are turning colors as we speak! The crazy thing about that eagle rare is that bottle is only what, 40 bucks? and its so damn good....i just cant find it anywhere. The other one i love like that is Sazerac Rye. Its like 30 bucks and crazy good....can only get it in DC!!! PIA!

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
Angel's Envy Cask Strength, just picked it up locally.. They had 2 bottles but would not let me buy both.. lol

Regular Angel's Envy(Port Barrel) is my go to lately, so looking forward to trying this one.. Just a little at a time though, 62% alcohol.

How was the cask strength? I've never had it...Angels envy is like my table bourbon...i'm always drinking it. The AE Rye is maybe my favorite Rye, along with Sazeac and Barrell Seagrass. I bought a Woodford Cask the other day it it had waaay to much bite. It was 130 bones and i just don't enjoy it, so i pour it for my guests....lol

Reactions: pioneerlion83

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
haaa, absolutely!! the leaves are turning colors as we speak! The crazy thing about that eagle rare is that bottle is only what, 40 bucks? and its so damn good....i just cant find it anywhere. The other one i love like that is Sazerac Rye. Its like 30 bucks and crazy good....can only get it in DC!!! PIA!
that's awesome. i was literally just talking with my buddy in the office about that. good price, but sucks you can't grab it anywhere. def not driving to DC for it

Reactions: Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
that's awesome. i was literally just talking with my buddy in the office about that. good price, but sucks you can't grab it anywhere. def not driving to DC for it

Pre-Covid, i worked in Arlington, so i'd just jump accross the Potomac and go into DC...no problem. Now i work from home 24/7 and i'm out by Dulles Airport....no thanks! Where in Va did you live?

DoublerVol

Sep 1, 2022
How was the cask strength? I've never had it...Angels envy is like my table bourbon...i'm always drinking it. The AE Rye is maybe my favorite Rye, along with Sazeac and Barrell Seagrass. I bought a Woodford Cask the other day it it had waaay to much bite. It was 130 bones and i just don't enjoy it, so i pour it for my guests....lol
I have a Barrel Proof Seagrass Rye Limited Edition.

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
I have a Barrel Proof Seagrass Rye Limited Edition.

jealous...i like Barrell a lot. I have the "regular" Seagrass, the Barrell Whiskey "Infinite Barrel Project" cask strength and the Armida...all three are delicious, but the Seagrass is next level...imo

Reactions: DoublerVol