Bourbon thread

Think Twice

Sep 28, 2022
I just got into bourbon as a hobby less than a year ago. So far my favorite is The Burning Chair. 🔥

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
1664462570104.png

P S
Buffalo Trace is way overrated

Last edited:

Sok454

Dec 29, 2021
I'm in a private bourbon group (100 members) in IL and we do our own barrel picks. A couple of the last ones were phenom especially being barrel proof. We did a Pursuit BP and Traverse city recently and they are great.

My fave's that are avail (not always easily) have been EHT SiB, WT101, OF13yr, WT Rare Breed, Red Spot (Irish).

Reactions: mulegator

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Beware of the George Dickel BiB.
The first bottle I got was fantastic.
The second bottle I got was nasty.
It’s single barrel so what can you say?
Beware!

I am very fond of Old Granddad 114.

Last edited:

4E2Thee

Joined Apr 1, 2016
Feb 1, 2022
Shorthand List for commonly used terms:
  • SiB - Single Barrel
  • SB - Small Batch
  • BP - Barrel Proof
  • BS - Barrel Strength
  • SP - Special/Store Pick (hand picked barrel)
  • BiB - Bottled-in-Bond
  • UC - Uncut (not diluted to a specific proof)
  • UF - Unfiltered
  • ABV/PF - Alcohol by Volume / Proof (ABV *2)
  • MB - Mashbill
  • OF - Old Forrester
  • BT - Buffalo Trace
  • BTAC - Buffalo Trace Antique Collection
  • WT - Wild Turkey
  • EHT - Colonel E.H. Taylor
  • ER - Eagle Rare
  • WLW - Weller / William Laurel Weller
    • SR - Special Reserve
    • 107 - Antique 107
    • CYPB - Craft Your Perfect Bourbon
    • 12 - Aged 12 Years
  • HH - Heaven Hill Distillery
  • MGP - Midwest Grain Product (product mass produced in Indiana and sold to other distilleries)
  • PVW - Pappy Van Winkle
  • AE - Angel's Envy
  • ET - Early Times
  • EC - Elijah Craig
  • TB - Toasted Barrel
  • Saz - Sazerac Rye
  • JD - Jack Daniels
  • 4R - Four Roses
Keep the Party going. This is just what came off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Jefferson Reserve? anyone tried this?

Jefferson's Description
Series 4 is comprised of Jefferson’s Reserve Kentucky straight bourbon which was aged for an additional 12 months in French Oak Barrel No. 44 that once held Chappellet Pritchard Hill Cabernet Sauvignon. My liquor store is advertising a special for $75 per bottle but I’d rather have someone whose sampled it let me know how it is before I buy one. Thanks.
1664635044470.jpeg

Gichoke75

Jul 30, 2022
Name it. Been collecting since 2008. Prob best bottle are some of the 90’s Van Winkle Family Reserves & some 60’s Very Very Old Fitzgerald’s. Also have a Pappy “Green” glass signed by Julian Van Winkle

romee

Sep 17, 2021
Was in Costa Mesa California and visited Hi Time Gourmet Wine and Spirits.
Found a Whiskey from Fairfield Cali called DEAD MAN'S HAND, it is barrel strength at 94.2 proof.
On taking the first sip I had to revisit the bottle to verify that it was 94.2. It was smooth as silk. Had the bit but not the burn.
Ordered more through their internet.

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
Shorthand List for commonly used terms:
  • SiB - Single Barrel
  • SB - Small Batch
  • BP - Barrel Proof
  • BS - Barrel Strength
  • SP - Special/Store Pick (hand picked barrel)
  • BiB - Bottled-in-Bond
  • UC - Uncut (not diluted to a specific proof)
  • UF - Unfiltered
  • ABV/PF - Alcohol by Volume / Proof (ABV *2)
  • MB - Mashbill
  • OF - Old Forrester
  • BT - Buffalo Trace
  • BTAC - Buffalo Trace Antique Collection
  • WT - Wild Turkey
  • EHT - Colonel E.H. Taylor
  • ER - Eagle Rare
  • WLW - Weller / William Laurel Weller
    • SR - Special Reserve
    • 107 - Antique 107
    • CYPB - Craft Your Perfect Bourbon
    • 12 - Aged 12 Years
  • HH - Heaven Hill Distillery
  • MGP - Midwest Grain Product (product mass produced in Indiana and sold to other distilleries)
  • PVW - Pappy Van Winkle
  • AE - Angel's Envy
  • ET - Early Times
  • EC - Elijah Craig
  • TB - Toasted Barrel
  • Saz - Sazerac Rye
  • JD - Jack Daniels
  • 4R - Four Roses
Keep the Party going. This is just what came off the top of my head.
Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: 4E2Thee

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Supposed to dip down to 59F this evening in Fort Worth. I got the bulk of the fall garden planted today. I'm thinking I might enjoy a little Elijah Craig BP and an Oliva V this evening.

Reactions: HTXIrishWave

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Just picked up a bottle of Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered in Macon Ga on trip to Auburn game. Haven’t cracked it yet
The Smoke Wagon is outstanding. Extremely smooth and loaded with flavor. If you see it, get it.

Reactions: Fightnchckn

4E2Thee

Joined Apr 1, 2016
Feb 1, 2022
Just picked up a bottle of Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered in Macon Ga on trip to Auburn game. Haven’t cracked it yet
The Smoke Wagon UCUF is a phenomenal bottle for $60-70. I think Secondary Market has pushed it close to $100 here in South Carolina. But still a great bottle.
The Statesman and 1920 are great, didn't care as much about the 1910
I mixed a "1915" in a decanter and I liked it better than the 1920 and the 1910 individually. Just something different to try. The Statesman is still my favorite readily available OF bottle.

Also, to anyone that likes a good Budget Daily Drinker. I just picked up a couple bottles of the Costco Brand Kirkland Signature, BiB, Barton1792, 100PF, 1-Litre for $35 and it's pretty damn tasty. So it's a Barton's bourbon (got the Barton Banana in there IYKYK) and appears to be the standard 1792 MB. This puts it REALLY close to the 1792 BiB, which is pretty damn good if you can find it. My guess is it didn't QUITE match what Barton's was looking for on the 1792 , so Costco picked it up. Good Stuff.

Reactions: MLU and rudedude

young_cat

Aug 1, 2022
Old Forester is wildly underrated.

Seems like it's on the list of what most people recommend when they are getting started, so not sure I agree it's underrated. Seems like it's talked about and well-liked. It's good stuff. But 1910 and 1920 are 4-5 year old juice, with a retail price of $60-$65.

Honestly, if you want good 4 year old Brown-Forman Juice, I think the new Jack Daniels Bottled-in-Bond is nearly as good. And it retails for way less.

young_cat

Aug 1, 2022
$100 in Georgia

You might check whether they will ship directly. They will to us, here in Kansas even though (technically) liquor by mail is illegal in this state.

Smoke Wagon isn't distributed to Kansas yet, but I was able to buy several bottles online from the distillery directly and have them shipped.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Seems like it's on the list of what most people recommend when they are getting started, so not sure I agree it's underrated. Seems like it's talked about and well-liked. It's good stuff. But 1910 and 1920 are 4-5 year old juice, with a retail price of $60-$65.

Honestly, if you want good 4 year old Brown-Forman Juice, I think the new Jack Daniels Bottled-in-Bond is nearly as good. And it retails for way less.
JD has a very different mashbill and finishing process than OF, though. The two really aren't comparable.

Reactions: mulegator

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I mixed a "1915" in a decanter and I liked it better than the 1920 and the 1910 individually. Just something different to try. The Statesman is still my favorite readily available OF bottle.

Please tell me that you labelled it correctly?

young_cat

Aug 1, 2022
JD has a very different mashbill and finishing process than OF, though. The two really aren't comparable.

Different mashbill/recipe, yes. My point is that you can get something from the same distillery/company, aged for the same period of time, that also tastes very good, for a whole lot less.

OF has done a tremendous job marketing itself as a "premium bourbon". At the end of the day, it's about the youngest premium offering out there that any of the major distilleries produce.

Reactions: Wingmaster12

4E2Thee

Joined Apr 1, 2016
Feb 1, 2022
  • Haha
Reactions: MLU

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Holt **** I didn't even know that was a thing! 🤣 This is about the extent of my Social Media and it's tied to sports, so it's justified LOL.
They have some good "Poor Man's Pappy" labels, too.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Different mashbill/recipe, yes. My point is that you can get something from the same distillery/company, aged for the same period of time, that also tastes very good, for a whole lot less.

OF has done a tremendous job marketing itself as a "premium bourbon". At the end of the day, it's about the youngest premium offering out there that any of the major distilleries produce.
I totally get that part, but typically taste is the biggest driver. Someone who enjoys OF isn't necessarily going to enjoy JD. They might prefer Woodford instead, if the goal is to stick with the same distiller company or just grab the bottom shelf OF.

Reactions: young_cat

Wingmaster12

Sep 6, 2022

JD Bonded is a great buy, I am curious how long it will remain readily available. Have you tried the JD bonded rye?

Reactions: young_cat

young_cat

Aug 1, 2022
JD Bonded is a great buy, I am curious how long it will remain readily available. Have you tried the JD bonded rye?

Have not, but I did try the Sour Mash version (red label). It's also very good, but I think the bonded bourbon is better. Those are, by far, the best products JD makes.

They are also the best values in the Brown-Forman lineup.

Reactions: Wingmaster12

DMan42

Dec 9, 2021
Anyone on this board that can find Weller 12 outside the state of Florida for a reasonable cost. Please email me [email protected].
The only way I've managed to get W12 is by lottery. When I get it I drink it sparingly. I never finish a bottle I don't have a replacement for. Hard to find any Weller in FL, even SR.

NoleFive

Aug 1, 2022
Yeah. ABC has a deal in place in Florida so you have to spend money to get into their vault for higher end Whiskey. It’s a rip off. I have been told even if you do the selection is limited and they are part of the problem I’m the Whisley market.

Fightnchckn

Joined Sep 12, 2002 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
I live in Arizona about 1.5 hours south of Vegas. I get this all the time and it does not disappoint. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: rudedude

Fightnchckn

Joined Sep 12, 2002 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Among those in my current stock:

Blanton's - it's good, but not worth the hype
Elijah Craig 18 - Not even remotely worth the hype (haven't touched the bottle in a year)
EH Taylor Single Barrel - Really good
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - Have 2 of the releases from 2021. Both very good.
Larceny Barrel Proof - Honestly think it's pretty terrible, and I like most things Heaven Hill produces.
Joseph Magnus - Highly underrated
Weller - Currently have SR, 107, and 12 Yr. Still looking for a Full Proof. SR and 107 are daily drinkers, for me. Love them.
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel - Really like almost all things Wild Turkey
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel - See above
George Dickel Bottled in Bond - Good, and underrated
Smoke Wagon Uncut, Unfiltered - Among the best of the "sourced" bourbons out there, especially in the high proof realm
I agree with almost all you say here. Curious if you have gone back and tried the Larceny Barrel proof as I think it is fantastic. I say that because I agree 100% with your other assessments.

Djnitro

Jun 4, 2022
Yeah. ABC has a deal in place in Florida so you have to spend money to get into their vault for higher end Whiskey. It’s a rip off. I have been told even if you do the selection is limited and they are part of the problem I’m the Whisley market.
That's not true. I score more out of the vault than any other place. In the last year I've gotten PVW15, WLW, Mr. Sam Batch 1, ETL, JMCB and im sure I'm forgetting 1 or 2.