Bourbon thread

young_cat

Aug 1, 2022
Among those in my current stock:

Blanton's - it's good, but not worth the hype
Elijah Craig 18 - Not even remotely worth the hype (haven't touched the bottle in a year)
EH Taylor Single Barrel - Really good
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - Have 2 of the releases from 2021. Both very good.
Larceny Barrel Proof - Honestly think it's pretty terrible, and I like most things Heaven Hill produces.
Joseph Magnus - Highly underrated
Weller - Currently have SR, 107, and 12 Yr. Still looking for a Full Proof. SR and 107 are daily drinkers, for me. Love them.
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel - Really like almost all things Wild Turkey
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel - See above
George Dickel Bottled in Bond - Good, and underrated
Smoke Wagon Uncut, Unfiltered - Among the best of the "sourced" bourbons out there, especially in the high proof realm

Fnord

Feb 1, 2022
Virgil Kaine's Ribbon Rail Rye. I was absolutely blown away by how good this was. Seriously some of the best liquor I've ever had.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
1792 is my every day bourbon. Got some Blanton's Gold edition recently and it is outstanding.
Absolutely love 1792 Full Proof. There is a lot of 12+ year old Barton floating around out there in NDP bottles and decent prices. Bardstown Bourbon Company uses it in several of their Fusion bottlings, the higher aged Calumet is Sam Houston is Barton and some of the house brands for Total Wine, Costco, etc bottlings.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
If anyone goes to Louisville for a stop along the bourbon trail I highly recommend getting a smoked old-fashioned at Swizzle downtown. Went in June. They bring out each old-fashioned in a smoke box. The presentation is A+ and it is delicious. Best I've ever had.
I will have to put that on my list of "must haves" on my next trip to Louisville.

Reactions: thomasna

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
Reminds me of the smoke coming out of some of the stoner's cars in high school, every time they opened the car door.
dazed and confused aliens GIF by IFC

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
How was the cask strength? I've never had it...Angels envy is like my table bourbon...i'm always drinking it. The AE Rye is maybe my favorite Rye, along with Sazeac and Barrell Seagrass. I bought a Woodford Cask the other day it it had waaay to much bite. It was 130 bones and i just don't enjoy it, so i pour it for my guests....lol
Angel's Envy is my regular goto as well. AE Rye is a tough find in Maryland.
Like your Woodford Cask Strength, my Bardstown Discovery 4 is too hot for me...and equally as expensive...so yeah, I offer it to my guests too!

Reactions: Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
Angel's Envy is my regular goto as well. AE Rye is a tough find in Maryland.
Like your Woodford Cask Strength, my Bardstown Discovery 4 is too hot for me...and equally as expensive...so yeah, I offer it to my guests too!

Funny you mention Maryland. I live full time in Northern Va but i have a home in St. Michael's Md as well and ive found a couple AE Rye at the local liquor store. Its impossible to find in VA. I can also almost always get it at Calvert Woodley in DC but driving into DC sucks! what part of Maryland do you live in?

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
Funny you mention Maryland. I live full time in Northern Va but i have a home in St. Michael's Md as well and ive found a couple AE Rye at the local liquor store. Its impossible to find in VA. I can also almost always get it at Calvert Woodley in DC but driving into DC sucks! what part of Maryland do you live in?
Southern Chuck County. AE is sometimes available at Nick's Of Clinton for $85 to $95.
AE bourbon finished in the sherry casks is on sale there this week for $41.99

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
Southern Chuck County. AE is sometimes available at Nick's Of Clinton for $85 to $95.
AE bourbon finished in the sherry casks is on sale there this week for $41.99

LOL.....my ex wife is from Waldorf and i used to go to Nick's of Clinton to get the best sandwiches around (waldorf)!! hahah, what a blast form the past. Nick's of Clinton!!

fighton89.usc

Nov 23, 2020
From northern NJ (Morris County) and we have a chain up here called Bottle King. It’s a discount liquor store with several locations, but they receive allocations from time to time.

walked in yesterday and sitting on the shelf were a bottle of Wellers Full Proof and Wellers 12 year. The store manager said they had just come off the truck. Naturally I scooped both of them up. Sometime you get lucky!

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
Went on a KY bourbon trail trip with my brother-in-law 3 weeks ago. Scored bottles of Blantons and Eagle Rare at Buffalo Trace distillery. Some Old Tub at Jim Beam. Angel's Envy Rye and Old Bardstown at a local Kroger in Louisville.
the buffalo trace distillery might be my favorite one to visit. damn good snag on getting that Eagle Rare.

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
From northern NJ (Morris County) and we have a chain up here called Bottle King. It’s a discount liquor store with several locations, but they receive allocations from time to time.

walked in yesterday and sitting on the shelf were a bottle of Wellers Full Proof and Wellers 12 year. The store manager said they had just come off the truck. Naturally I scooped both of them up. Sometime you get lucky!
Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: fighton89.usc

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
the buffalo trace distillery might be my favorite one to visit. damn good snag on getting that Eagle Rare.
Thanks!! My brother in law and I were very fortunate. Buffalo Trace was our first stop on Wednesday, after driving all day Tuesday, and we each scored a bottle of Blantons. I finally acquired an "A" to complete my stopper collection.

Not sure if you are aware, but Buffalo Trace has restricted their gift shop liquor sales to: one bottle of a label every 90 days ; they scan your driver's license and put you in their database, and give you an RFID bracelet which they must scan at the checkout to record your purchase - this is how they track what you buy and how often. So when you go there, bringing along extra people of legal age to also get scanned so they can buy their allotment of whatever is available that day, is highly recommended! I asked the checkout attendant as to why so strict, and she said that the distillery has become so popular since re-opening after COVID that if they let people buy what they wanted of the allocated labels that they would be out of allocated inventory in 2-3 weeks, and have to dip even further into liquor distributor inventory, which is already at an all time low. That said, each day they have something choice for sale in the gift shop of either: Blantons, or Eagle Rare, or Weller Special Reserve (green label), or EH Taylor Small Batch, or Buffalo Trace, or Sazerac Rye. Every morning they update this link with what they plan to have on the shelf: https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/product-availability . Arrive early, as there is usually a line waiting for the 9am door opening, and once the stuff sells out all that's left is kitsch and swag, and their vodka.

So we doubled back on Saturday morning (our 8.5 hour road trip travel home day) and stood in line for 35 minutes for the opportunity to buy the Eagle Rare!

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
LOL.....my ex wife is from Waldorf and i used to go to Nick's of Clinton to get the best sandwiches around (waldorf)!! hahah, what a blast form the past. Nick's of Clinton!!
Nick's still makes pretty good sandwiches in their deli...but the hours are greatly restricted because of the volume of customers, limited space, and not enough workers.

They had/have a Blantons waiting list of about 60 or so people. They used to get maybe 5 or 6 bottles a month, and call people to come get them. This is where I used to score most of my Blantons supply. Sadly, I haven't had a call in about a year. Six or seven years ago, they used to stock bottles of it on the shelf.

OutsiderDawg

Staff member
Aug 10, 2021
Thanks!! My brother in law and I were very fortunate. Buffalo Trace was our first stop on Wednesday, after driving all day Tuesday, and we each scored a bottle of Blantons. I finally acquired an "A" to complete my stopper collection.

Not sure if you are aware, but Buffalo Trace has restricted their gift shop liquor sales to: one bottle of a label every 90 days ; they scan your driver's license and put you in their database, and give you an RFID bracelet which they must scan at the checkout to record your purchase - this is how they track what you buy and how often. So when you go there, bringing along extra people of legal age to also get scanned so they can buy their allotment of whatever is available that day, is highly recommended! I asked the checkout attendant as to why so strict, and she said that the distillery has become so popular since re-opening after COVID that if they let people buy what they wanted of the allocated labels that they would be out of allocated inventory in 2-3 weeks, and have to dip even further into liquor distributor inventory, which is already at an all time low. That said, each day they have something choice for sale in the gift shop of either: Blantons, or Eagle Rare, or Weller Special Reserve (green label), or EH Taylor Small Batch, or Buffalo Trace, or Sazerac Rye. Every morning they update this link with what they plan to have on the shelf: https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/product-availability . Arrive early, as there is usually a line waiting for the 9am door opening, and once the stuff sells out all that's left is kitsch and swag, and their vodka.

So we doubled back on Saturday morning (our 8.5 hour road trip travel home day) and stood in line for 35 minutes for the opportunity to buy the Eagle Rare!
dang - scanning my ID into their database seems a bit gestapo to me! just want some eagle rare man... 🙃

Go_Blue_In_NOVA

Nov 3, 2021
Nick's still makes pretty good sandwiches in their deli...but the hours are greatly restricted because of the volume of customers, limited space, and not enough workers.

They had/have a Blantons waiting list of about 60 or so people. They used to get maybe 5 or 6 bottles a month, and call people to come get them. This is where I used to score most of my Blantons supply. Sadly, I haven't had a call in about a year. Six or seven years ago, they used to stock bottles of it on the shelf.

at least you had a wait list....Here in NOVA, the bourbon arrives at the ABC store on Tuesday's, so people wait in line, at least an hour early, to buy whatever has arrived. There are usually about 10 premium bottles, so if you aren't the 10th in line, forget it. I used to do that and have gotten a lot of good stuff that way, but its a PIA. Now i just pay premium online and as i said, the liquor stores in St. Michael's and Easton have a lot of good stuff!!

Reactions: pioneerlion83

Clemson86

Mar 6, 2022
Stumbled across a Weller Antique in the wild for $54 Father's Day. Picked up a 1.75 Eagle Rare in Virginia for $60. And found a Blanton's in Kyoto, Japan for $52 right before COVID hit here. Also, I'm a sucker for good bottom shelf stuff. Very Old Barton's is a favorite, but JW Dant, JTS Brown, TW Samuels are all bottom shelf beasts, especially if you can find a bonded version. I found a bonded Benchmark in Louisville and it rocked.

DoublerVol

Sep 1, 2022
Stumbled across a Weller Antique in the wild for $54 Father's Day. Picked up a 1.75 Eagle Rare in Virginia for $60. And found a Blanton's in Kyoto, Japan for $52 right before COVID hit here. Also, I'm a sucker for good bottom shelf stuff. Very Old Barton's is a favorite, but JW Dant, JTS Brown, TW Samuels are all bottom shelf beasts, especially if you can find a bonded version. I found a bonded Benchmark in Louisville and it rocked.
Bonded Benchmark is only sold in Kentucky.(as of now)
Beginning October 1st, Tennessee will have Old Carter.

Reactions: jbud