Bourbon thread

Timbalaned

Mar 9, 2017
Im about to send my stoppers off to BT to be mounted.
How many do you need to send them in? I have been able to stumble on bottles for $35 out here in South Africa and they are pretty easy to get. Might wanna get mine mounted soon.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I just won the lottery. The PA state store is selling me a bottle of
1684335847266.jpeg

Stag single barrel bourbon for $55. Has anyone tried it? Is this a good price or have I been sucked in by the hype? Thanks

Reactions: TreeTrunks

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
View attachment 340726
Stag single barrel bourbon for $55. Has anyone tried it? Is this a good price or have I been sucked in by the hype? Thanks

Great price. I’d buy 10 if I could get it at that lol. It can be a little hot for some guys. It’s packs a lot of flavor too. If you like a lot of barrel proof stuff you’ll probably enjoy it. Nothing a little water or small ice cube can’t fix if it’s not though. 😉

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
View attachment 340726
Couple of my all time favorites that don't break the bank
All 110+ proof and all excellent quality/price/value:
Pikesville 110 Rye
Old Forester 1920
Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye
Old Granddad 114

I've found that some of those allocated unicorns are overhyped and overpriced.
HOWEVER
When there is universal praise across the board on a particular bottle of juice you can almost always pick one up with confidence.
The Stagg line has great ratings and reviews.
I really enjoy Matt Porter's reviews (and his sense of humor) and trust and enjoy the evaluations and reviews from all these guys

Last edited:
Reactions: TreeTrunks

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Couple of my all time favorites that don't break the bank:
Pikesville 110 Rye
Old Forester 1920
Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye
Old Granddad 114

Solid lineup of things that aren’t so hard to find.

I’d throw Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Knob Creek 120, & 1792 Full Proof in there too. The Elijah is probably not as easy to find as the ones both of us listed, but not as hard as the allocated ones that never see the shelf anymore.

Reactions: mulegator

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Solid lineup of things that aren’t so hard to find.

I’d throw Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Knob Creek 120, & 1792 Full Proof in there too. The Elijah is probably not as easy to find as the ones both of us listed, but not as hard as the allocated ones that never see the shelf anymore.
Those three are not available at Total Wine Tallahassee.
If they don't have it chances are it's not going to be found here.
It took me about 3 months to get a bottle of Pikesville.
Had to make a bunch of calls to all the juice stores in the area and then wait.
And I really hate to pay those high end prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: GarnetAndGucci

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Those three are not available at Total Wine Tallahassee.
If they don't have it chances are it's not going to be found here.
It took me about 3 months to get a bottle of Pikesville.
Had to make a bunch of calls to all the juice stores in the area and then wait.
And I really hate to pay those high end prices.

Your first mistake is trying to find anything good at a Total Wine. 😆

ABC or Market Sqaure usually has a decent selection. Three Oaks in Thomasville always has something I’ll pick up.

Puyallup Duck

Mar 8, 2017
Your first mistake is trying to find anything good at a Total Wine. If😆

ABC or Market Sqaure usually has a decent selection. Three Oaks in Thomasville always has something I’ll pick up.
I'm not sure what your all TW is like but ours has a pretty good selection. However I have a place that I order from online on a semi annual basis when I want to stock up on the harder to find stuff at better prices. Check out thirdbasemarketandspirits.com for good prices and a great selection of harder to find bourbon, scotch and whiskey. Things can be sold out at times but keep checking in and they get them back fairly regularly. For us in here in Washington if you are buying 3 bottles or more at one time the cost of shipping is offset by the taxes that you don't have to pay for buying here in state.

Reactions: mulegator

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
I'm not sure what your all TW is like but ours has a pretty good selection. However I have a place that I order from online on a semi annual basis when I want to stock up on the harder to find stuff at better prices. Check out thirdbasemarketandspirits.com for good prices and a great selection of harder to find bourbon, scotch and whiskey. Things can be sold out at times but keep checking in and they get them back fairly regularly. For us in here in Washington if you are buying 3 bottles or more at one time the cost of shipping is offset by the taxes that you don't have to pay for buying here in state.

I touch 4 states with my job so there’s several I pop in fairly regularly. I will say that they have a large section, but outside of the numerous house brands they have, I usually never find a thing to buy. Now that being said…I’m super picky & big snob too though. 😆

I’ll check out your site! I’m in a controlled state though. They probably can’t ship to me. 😏

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
The bottle of Stagg Straight Barrel strength bourbon that I won the right to buy in the Pennsylvania lottery arrives tomorrow. With tax and shipping it cost me $71. I’m anxious to pop the cork and give it a small taste. I understand they tend to go at around 130 proof so an ice cube could be the way to go.
1684894183591.jpeg

AJ93JEEP

Jun 1, 2022
I still have an unopened bottle of eagle rare 10 year, a blantons Gold from Canada, and a Michter single barrel 10 yr. Just picked up a WT rare breed for $36. And you can’t go wrong with BH Dark Rye. Have two bottles of the BH.

Reactions: Nitwit