Bourbon thread

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I would like to get my hands on a bottle of Old William Tarr Manchester Reserve 114 proof. $40 and rated as tasting as good as much higher end bourbons. Only problem is availability, Kentucky only at this time. Mark Stoops, Kentucky Wildcats football coach, is a part owner.

Reactions: mulegator

PUGridiron

Oct 23, 2022
Is this

CALUMET FARM SINGLE RACK BLACK 15 YEAR OLD KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON​

any good? Found it at Costco today for $109 vs $169 elsewhere?

IrishRogue

Dec 2, 2021
In Florida, anyone have a lead on a bottle of A Midwinter Nights Dram?
Good luck. Have been lucky the last 2 years, this year is pretty fierce even at the high price point. We have a local raffle but that’s been all I can find. Will keep my eyes open. If I can find two, I’ll grab them.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
It is the same family but new product - could just be a repackaging. I think it is an improvement.
I'll have to look not up, but I'm pretty sure it's the same MGP juice. They dropped the "Belle Meade" brand nationally. Belle Meade is still available in TN.

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
I'll have to look not up, but I'm pretty sure it's the same MGP juice. They dropped the "Belle Meade" brand nationally. Belle Meade is still available in TN.

I heard it’s the same. I’ve been buying the older BM Reserve though in case they started putting their own juice in the Nelson Bros version. 😆

Reactions: MLU

IrishRogue

Dec 2, 2021
I heard it’s the same. I’ve been buying the older BM Reserve though in case they started putting their own juice in the Nelson Bros version. 😆
Doesn’t seem to have as much rye as the reserve. Proof is only 1 point different, so you may be right - but I find this a better sipper than the reserve. I’ll have to try them side by side. Worthwhile research, I’ll suffer through the process so others don’t have to.

(The critics don’t seem to like it as much as I do, granted.)

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Doesn’t seem to have as much rye as the reserve. Proof is only 1 point different, so you may be right - but I find this a better sipper than the reserve. I’ll have to try them side by side. Worthwhile research, I’ll suffer through the process so others don’t have to.

I’m more curious about your thoughts on that Foursquare Indelible in that pic. 😉

Reactions: IrishRogue

IrishRogue

Dec 2, 2021
I’m more curious about your thoughts on that Foursquare Indelible in that pic. 😉
Indelible - I do like it quite a bit. If you like rum, and also like red wine cask aging it’s a good sip, like a rummy Dovetail. I’d buy it again, but the red wine aging is distinctive. (I like red wine aging - got hooked on the Longrow Red…. but not all red wines are created equal, so your mileage may vary.)

A single barrel pick of a different Foursquare product, the Real McCoy 12 year, is a current favorite. If you’re looking for a straight rum with some character it’s a better bet (and $25-30 cheaper), but still delivers some depth.

Reactions: GarnetAndGucci

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Indelible - I do like it quite a bit. If you like rum, and also like red wine cask aging it’s a good sip, like a rummy Dovetail. I’d buy it again, but the red wine aging is distinctive. (I like red wine aging - got hooked on the Longrow Red…. but not all red wines are created equal, so your mileage may vary.)

A single barrel pick of a different Foursquare product, the Real McCoy 12 year, is a current favorite. If you’re looking for a straight rum with some character it’s a better bet (and $25-30 cheaper), but still delivers some depth.

I don’t do a lot of rum. I am a member of a local rum club though & enjoy things that are high proof with no additives. I don’t mind finished rum as long a coloring & sugars aren’t added, which is why I like a lot of the Foursquare’s. I’ve had some Privateer picks that are fantastic. If you haven’t dabbled in their offerings I’d suggest you give them a try.

Reactions: IrishRogue

IrishRogue

Dec 2, 2021
I don’t do a lot of rum. I am a member of a local rum club though & enjoy things that are high proof with no additives. I don’t mind finished rum as long a coloring & sugars aren’t added, which is why I like a lot of the Foursquare’s. I’ve had some Privateer picks that are fantastic. If you haven’t dabbled in their offerings I’d suggest you give them a try.
Will do. I’m generally wary of additives and anything exactly 80 proof….

wolflake

Oct 6, 2021
I picked up a RR13 and a Caribou Crossing yesterday. Any opinions on the Caribou Crossing? Cool looking bottle regardless, Blanton’s of the north.

Reactions: MLU

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
I picked up a RR13 and a Caribou Crossing yesterday. Any opinions on the Caribou Crossing? Cool looking bottle regardless, Blanton’s of the north.

I think it’s considered Canuck Blanton’s by some because it’s made by BT & the bottle looks like Rock Hill Farms & Blanton’s had a baby. It’s pretty easy drinker at 80 proof, which is also a reason I never cared for it. Not garbo, but IMO not worth some of the hype it seems to get now. Stuff used to sit in the shelves everywhere.

Reactions: wolflake

MikeAl44

Jan 2, 2023
im a four roses convert. snobby folks may prefer single malts but i have never done the kentucky chew before and those bourbons just explode with flavor if you give them air and break them down a little.

Bourbonlover123

Feb 3, 2023
Willett family estate 7297 lions share wax top

Willett family estate 391 party source pick wax top

Willett family estate 8138 party source pick

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Alert for Pa residents: The annual Buffalo Trace Antique collection lottery is now live. Registration is open.

Welcome, spirits enthusiast, to our first Limited-Release Lottery of the year!

Now through 5 p.m. Friday, February 17, you have the opportunity to opt in to three lotteries, one featuring products from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2022 release and two other lotteries each featuring a single bourbon.

NEW FOR THESE LOTTERIES:

• Once the Limited-Release Lottery registration period closes, you will NOT be able to update your payment information. If you’re selected as a winner and your payment is declined for any reason, you’ll forfeit your entry and the opportunity to purchase the bottle, as we will not attempt to process payment a second time. Therefore, we encourage you — before entering the lottery — to review your payment/billing information and delivery location for accuracy.
  • Only individuals with winning entries will be able to pick up lottery purchases in designated stores after presenting a valid photo ID; bottles will not be provided by stores to alternate pickup persons or anyone other than the lottery entrant.

Winners will be selected the week of February 20, and we’ll notify all winning and nonwinning entries in the following weeks.

Limited-Release Lotteries and drawings will occur in the following order:

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2022 Release
In the Antique Collection lottery, we're offering five separate drawings. Participants can enter one, several or all drawings. There's a limit of one bottle per winner for purchase. A winner selected in one drawing will be removed from all subsequent drawings for this lottery.

Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey 18 Year Old, $109.99 each, 18 bottles
(14 for individual consumers, 4 for licensees)

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17 Year Old, $109.99 each, 21 bottles
(16 for individual consumers, 5 for licensees)

William Larue Weller Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof, $109.99 each, 96 bottles
(72 for individual consumers, 24 for licensees)

George T. Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof, $109.99 each, 147 bottles
(111 for individual consumers, 36 for licensees)

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Barrel Proof,
$109.99 each, 198 bottles (149 for individual consumers, 49 for licensees)
Bourbon Lotteries
You have the chance to enter one or both of the following lotteries. You’re eligible to win one bottle from each lottery.

Michter's Straight Bourbon Limited Release 20 Year Old, $1,149.99 each, 10 bottles
(8 for individual consumers, 2 for licensees)

Blanton Straight From The Barrel Bourbon, $149.99 each, 324 bottles
(243 for individual consumers, 81 for licensees)

Puyallup Duck

Mar 8, 2017
I just got notification from Total Wine that I was selected to be able to purchase a bottle of Weller 12 Year for the price of $49.99 (pre-taxes). I actually have never tried this bourbon so when TW sends out their emails that you can enter to win the option to purchase high end bourbon this was on the list (not as high on mine as Pappy). Anyone with experience around the Weller can confirm if that's a good buy at this price?

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
I just got notification from Total Wine that I was selected to be able to purchase a bottle of Weller 12 Year for the price of $49.99 (pre-taxes). I actually have never tried this bourbon so when TW sends out their emails that you can enter to win the option to purchase high end bourbon this was on the list (not as high on mine as Pappy). Anyone with experience around the Weller can confirm if that's a good buy at this price?

That price is an absolute buy. Extremely hard to find these days & catches just south of $150 on secondary. I’m a drinker, not a flipper though. It’s a great bourbon for $50.

Puyallup Duck

Mar 8, 2017
That price is an absolute buy. Extremely hard to find these days & catches just south of $150 on secondary. I’m a drinker, not a flipper though. It’s a great bourbon for $50.
I've never seen it for sale in Washington and haven't bought on the secondary market either but if that's the start price on it then this is a can't miss offer

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
IMO
Best inexpensive bourbon - quality/price is Old Grand Dad 114
Honorable mention - Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye and Bourbon, 101 Rye and Wild Turkey 101
Best ryes for the money - Pikesville Rye and Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye

All the Wild Turkey Rare Breeds are *****

Last edited:

Djnitro

Jun 4, 2022
Couple of days late here but W12 is worth a buy at that price. With that said I would trade into something better. W12 is very underwhelming to me and only 90 proof. If you're a Weller fan I would see if you could trade into a Full Proof otherwise you could probably get into a Stagg Jr for a roughly equivalent trade

Puyallup Duck

Mar 8, 2017
Couple of days late here but W12 is worth a buy at that price. With that said I would trade into something better. W12 is very underwhelming to me and only 90 proof. If you're a Weller fan I would see if you could trade into a Full Proof otherwise you could probably get into a Stagg Jr for a roughly equivalent trade
I went and picked it up today. $50 plus tax to give the Weller a try sounded like a good deal since it is way higher priced on the secondary market currently

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Just how good are the Elijah Craig 1789 Barrel Proof whiskeys ???
It's allocated
I haven't had the pleasure yet but all the reviews are off the charts

1683201429719.png

Last edited: