Did Nebraska make a mistake by joining the Big 10 ?

Apr 4, 2022
I have always respected Nebraska football as a casual observer but have felt that when it joined the Big 10 it lost its identity and correspondently it brand was weakened and its football has suffered. There was no longer the long anticipated season ending game against Oklahoma That had national championship implications.

Did Nebraska make a mistake joining the Big 10 ? Thanks.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Joined Jul 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
I have always respected Nebraska football as a casual observer but have felt that when it joined the Big 10 it lost its identity and correspondently it brand was weakened and its football has suffered. There was no longer the long anticipated season ending game against Oklahoma That had national championship implications.

I would be interested in knowing that, too. I don't think they did, because it appears the Big 12 is about to explode or be weaken a lot at the very least.

Last edited:

Florida Big Red

May 28, 2022
Not at all - Big 12 was/is dying a slow death and BIG 10 will be one of the only two real players when the Super Conferences roll around.

Biggest mistake was not firing Frost two years ago when it was clear to anyone with two eyes that he and and his staff simply did nit have what it’s takes. He will go down as one of the worst P5 coaches of all time - and that is not an exaggeratio.

Reactions: Blademan

Bible

Jun 1, 2022

No.

Reactions: GA82

Cornsilks

Sep 6, 2022
What else were they going to do? Join the Big 8? That's been dead for decades. The Big 12 we once knew was rapidly imploding as well. Nebraska saw the writing on the wall, found a better opportunity and took it. That move turned out to be golden. Too bad it happened in the midst of a downturn in the FB program. We are still far better off as a school and overall athletic program. Had we just wanted a nice football record, we should have joined the Missouri Valley... Like it or not, the B1G is an elite conference with elite coaching top to bottom. Sure some are better than others, but there is really no bottom end if you aren't looking in the mirror. It's time we hired some elite, proven coaches, bring in elite assistants and get a culture established. I know SF was considered an elite hire at the time. I was never on his bandwagon from the beginning because I didn't think he had enough experience at this level, nor did his assistants. Easy to say now, but it proved correct.

chipotlehusker

Jun 1, 2022

No because the college football landscape has lamentably changed dramatically. Thanks to ESPN, FOX, etc. time of course as always will
tell but not looking good!

SkulzNBonz

Apr 28, 2022
We had no other choice but to join the B1G when we did as Texas and OU were gonna fk us by jumping to the PAC and we got the jump on them 1st by joining a lucrative conference which would eventualy become a finacial boon for us while Texass and OU ended up screwing themselves getting themselves stuck by not being able to go anywhere until now which I consider poetic justice. Imho, us, A&M, Mizzou and Buffy leaving the Big XII ultimately destroyed that conference forever due to the extreme financial strain it has suffered since. Look at how much worse off that conference is gonna be when UT and OU finally leave it in 24.

Last edited:

Blademan

Sep 13, 2022

To be the best, you've got to beat the best in any league. So, It shouldn't matter what conference NU is in if we want to return to a relevant program again. I do think we should keep Oklahoma on the nonconference schedule though.

Generation Red

Sep 15, 2022
The mistake wasn't joining the Big 10. The mistake was hiring a ginger a$$wipe from Miami to fire Bo. Had we not done that, and he was given time to continue to adjust to what it takes to win here, we wouldn't be in this pickle. Or had we just gone out and hired somebody with better than a .500 record to replace him, instead of Sprinkles the Sparky Coach... Also, once the Big 12 was formed, there were no more season finale games against OU every year. They hitched their wagon to the Longhorns, and now they're doing what the Burnt Poop Orange is doing...going to the SEC.

Bbiller

Jun 2, 2022
I don’t think joining the BIG 10 was the problem, it has been going through 6 coaches in the last 20 years that hasn’t helped anything. However, with Trev at the helm now, you can count on the next hire to help bring the Huskers back to relevancy. It still may take awhile, but being a Chiefs fan since 1968, waiting those 50 years for another super bowl win has been worth it. Let’s just hope it doesn’t take 25 more years for the Huskers! Go Huskers, beat OK! Here’s to the spark that it just may have taken to get this team fired up enough to win Saturday! I remain hopeful!

Reactions: Here4sip
May 31, 2022
I dont think so. It's a good fit. We just haven't found the right coach to be competitively successful. These pass happy offenses are fun to watch.... but you HAVE to be able to RUN THE BALL consistently. Coaching and schemes matter.

Bill_Callahan2.0

Jun 1, 2022
bo pelini was 22-10 in the b10 conference finishing inside the top 25 every season (barely). i don't moving to the b10 was a mistake. but there have been countless mistakes made since the 2014 season.

Husker Ace

May 31, 2022
Ask KU, KSU, ISU,TT,Baylor, Oklahoma Lite, TCU etc. How comfortable they feel in the XII?
Now answer this if they had a chance to switch with Nebraska how many would say "yes in a ❤️ beat. I rest my case

Code_Blue

Sep 21, 2021
Not at all - Big 12 was/is dying a slow death and BIG 10 will be one of the only two real players when the Super Conferences roll around.

Biggest mistake was not firing Frost two years ago when it was clear to anyone with two eyes that he and and his staff simply did nit have what it’s takes. He will go down as one of the worst P5 coaches of all time - and that is not an exaggeratio.
Michigan guy here.... Rich Rodriguez says "hold my beer". :)

PalmsHusker

Jul 9, 2022
Yes. We had no choice to leave the Big 12 with the direction it was going, but we should have joined the SEC. That's where all of the power has consolidated to in CFB. That's where all the talent is. Worst case is we would have had losing seasons in the SEC as opposed to the Big Ten, but our talent pipeline would've been significantly better instead of completely drying up. Plus, with OU and UT joining, we would have had more traditional rivals in our conference.

Perhaps being in the SEC would have given us the kick we need to adopt a win-at-all costs mindset instead of the crap we've seen for 20 years.