FSU vs ACC

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
I don't have any idea how it will shake out in terms of cost, but I don't see the rationale for the ACC settling. As I see it, their only option is to fight this to the death. If FSU gets out, no matter how much they pay, then the ACC is dead. At that point, exit fees are irrelevant. If FSU can get out, it will trigger a mass exodus from the conference. There are no schools for the ACC to add once FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc all take off. The ACC will fight like heck to keep FSU b/c it's a matter of life and death for the conference.
FSU is getting out, if something slows them temporarily then Clemson will adjust tactics and get out and then others will follow and FSU will regroup and try again. Teams in the ACC without a place to land will need to regroup and merge with another conference. Its not life or death, it is like a divorce or a rebellion. Its a matter of how much you want to spend to fight and how much dirty laundry do you want to have aired. The outcome is ineveitable so the ACC just needs to decide what is an equitable settlement and how much more money do they throw at fighting this and how do individuals save face so they can move on to their next job. Both parties survive a divorce, England survived the United States breaking away. The current ACC comissioner is fairly new and is not an ACC lifer. He will decide that he can blame this on prior leadership and spin a story that lands him another job. I expect he is currently thinking that this is not what he signed up for and how much easier life could be someplace else.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
FSU is getting out, if something slows them temporarily then Clemson will adjust tactics and get out and then others will follow and FSU will regroup and try again. Teams in the ACC without a place to land will need to regroup and merge with another conference. Its not life or death, it is like a divorce or a rebellion. Its a matter of how much you want to spend to fight and how much dirty laundry do you want to have aired. The outcome is ineveitable so the ACC just needs to decide what is an equitable settlement and how much more money do they throw at fighting this and how do individuals save face so they can move on to their next job. Both parties survive a divorce, England survived the United States breaking away. The current ACC comissioner is fairly new and is not an ACC lifer. He will decide that he can blame this on prior leadership and spin a story that lands him another job. I expect he is currently thinking that this is not what he signed up for and how much easier life could be someplace else.
My post was only speaking to the ACC negotiating a buyout, which makes no sense for them to do. Maybe you quoted the wrong post.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
My post was only speaking to the ACC negotiating a buyout, which makes no sense for them to do. Maybe you quoted the wrong post.
To you to some it makes perfect sense. Going to court and risking it all may not be the answer either. Discovery may be another issue is there truly are “trade secrets” at stake. Seeing as how 97% of these things end in settlement, I wouldn’t be so quick to take it off the table.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
To you to some it makes perfect sense. Going to court and risking it all may not be the answer either. Discovery may be another issue is there truly are “trade secrets” at stake. Seeing as how 97% of these things end in settlement, I wouldn’t be so quick to take it off the table.
For the ACC, though, it’s all or nothing. If Florida state gets out, regardless of the buyout amount, the league is dead.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
While I agree with your post, I would submit that when the FSU exit occurs, they will not be going alone. Initially they will be joined by another school. ESPN will be calling the shots as to when they leave and to what conference both schools end up in.
After that, the mass exodus will commence in due time.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The ACC negotiating a buyout would be like a person negotiating how much they would charge for someone to put a bullet in their head. Whether you get $1 million or $10 million you’re still getting a bullet in the head and you’re gonna be dead.

it is true that if Florida state leaves, they will not leave alone, and the ACC will lose every major team they have in football and basketball. That would relegate them to little more than G5 status.

There simply is no upside to them negotiating. Which is why they’re taking the approach they are taking.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
The ACC negotiating a buyout would be like a person negotiating how much they would charge for someone to put a bullet in their head. Whether you get $1 million or $10 million you’re still getting a bullet in the head and you’re gonna be dead.

it is true that if Florida state leaves, they will not leave alone, and the ACC will lose every major team they have in football and basketball. That would relegate them to little more than G5 status.

There simply is no upside to them negotiating. Which is why they’re taking the approach they are taking.
The ACC will become the next victim of expansion, and will suffer the same fate as the Pac 12.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
For the ACC, though, it’s all or nothing. If Florida state gets out, regardless of the buyout amount, the league is dead.
I wouldn’t be so sure about that and what is your definition of dead? Will it be part of the 2 no. Could it be 3 with the addition of some teams or 4 absolutely. They could also structure them selves to be the big dog in the subordinate class when all this shakes out like some believe.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022

They will lose Clemson and Florida state and I think it ends there .

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
The UNC System just took over all decision-making power as regards conference affiliation. Maybe he has their administrative "hand" up his puppet "back".
Speed bump. This won't hold up, just provides another hurdle for UNC. While States are exempt from antitrust legislation, regulatory agencies of the State are not exempt. And since the action by the UNC System restricts the transfer of a school to another conference it is a "restraint of trade" issue under antitrust legislation. And I am sure all parties know that.....it is simply delaying the inevitable.

Last edited:

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I get what you’re saying but you’ll have to forgive me in believing they might not have a clue either. Fox is pulling the big10 strings and you won’t convince me otherwise. Same as ESPN and the sec. If either of those two called the conference leaders and said we need Clemson it would happen as soon as the way out of the acc is paved. What I’m trying to say is neither of the conferences will bite the hands that feed them. I don’t buy that Clemson is totally out of the big conversation. I would include dabosits but he parrots what you say.
The BTAA and the individual schools pull the strings in the B1G....not the athletic departments or any of their several media affilitates.

Reactions: atl-cock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Rumor, of course.

But I am reading that the addition of SMU, Stanford and Cal were done so the ACC could continue after FSU and Clemson left.

Not sure I buy that though, because if those two leave, I see several others jumping ship and being gobbled up by the B2.

I believe that earnest negotiations are going on right now though.
The ACC has to maintain a certain number of members to keep their ESPN media contract in effect.....12-14 I think. The additional schools helped do that, but then it came up in the court filings that the media contract expires in 2026 (not 2036 as many thought) and there is an option for renewal by ESPN in 2026. Makes an interesting legal issue in and of itself.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
The ACC has to maintain a certain number of members to keep their ESPN media contract in effect.....12-14 I think. The additional schools helped do that, but then it came up in the court filings that the media contract expires in 2026 (not 2036 as many thought) and there is an option for renewal by ESPN in 2026. Makes an interesting legal issue in and of itself.

14 if I am not mistaken. Il

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022

Oh, they will split up. Too much research money from the BTAA for UNC to say no to.
Are we discussing UNC or UnCarolina? Remember, they are different schools.

Mar 24, 2022
They will lose Clemson and Florida state and I think it ends there .
I think as few as 2 leaving could cause the conference to dissolve regardless of how many left.Several podcasts that follow this closely are saying this.The only question is will it break up in 2024 or 2026.From what insiders are saying ESPN has already made it known the TV deal will not be renewed.
Will there be 2 Super leagues left or will the Big 12 pick up some teams and hang on.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I think as few as 2 leaving could cause the conference to dissolve regardless of how many left.Several podcasts that follow this closely are saying this.The only question is will it break up in 2024 or 2026.From what insiders are saying ESPN has already made it known the TV deal will not be renewed.
Will there be 2 Super leagues left or will the Big 12 pick up some teams and hang on.
By 2026 is the most specific I have heard.

Latest posts