Music To Come Home To

woohit42

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for posting. I am tired of speakers that are nearly 5 ft tall and too heavy to move. The ones you mention sound really nice.
They're incredible. Huge soundstage too. I ended up getting their little brother, the 802's. A bit smaller of a foot print but the sound is very close. You'd have to listen to them on the same recording, one after the other to notice. On a side note, Skywalker Sound and Abby Road studios use the 801's.

SouthernCAlabama

Sep 11, 2021
Wow that is beautiful! I enjoyed the piano too. Don't know about anyone else but I couldn't wait for Coltrane to finish up so I could hear Stan. He was just a melody player on a different level. Love the little goose he gives the drummer too.
Stan Getz is the gold standard for sure. I love his beautiful sense of melody and perfect pauses and everything else he lays down.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I love this, but a certain chick ruined all other renditions for me. I think Sinatra is a bit too sterile here in following the lyrics' lead. For my money, my first lady of song and her Count produced the most exuberant rendition:

This is a few years after I heard her sing with Count Basie (pre-stroke for Count). She was married to Count's trumpeter Waymon Reed (much her junior) at the time.

SouthernCAlabama

Sep 11, 2021
Thanks for asking. The thought now is to do both. There's a completely different vibe when I play with the new guy and I like the idea of being a sideman with input.
Sometimes you can't get everything you want out of just one band, so it necessitates two. It will be a lot of fun! Leaves a lot of room for new creativity and spark.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Sometimes you can't get everything you want out of just one band, so it necessitates two. It will be a lot of fun! Leaves a lot of room for new creativity and spark.
A cradle robber! :)

The footnotes in the video say that she died of lung cancer. Was she a smoker?
I don't know. She was a bit heavy when I saw her with Count. I saw her with him at least 3-4 times. She was a little melodramatic for my taste, and when she did "Feelings" I thought it was a bit much for a man of Basie's stature. I was privileged to meet Count Basie and talked to him a couple times. He was a really down-to-earth guy. There was nothing down-to-earth about his band!! Especially in the late 70s when he had Butch Miles on drums, it was as good as any band I've ever seen. I still miss him. But I'm happy to report that the Orchestra is still going under the direction of Scotty Barnhart.

SouthernCAlabama

Sep 11, 2021
I don't know. She was a bit heavy when I saw her with Count. I saw her with him at least 3-4 times. She was a little melodramatic for my taste, and when she did "Feelings" I thought it was a bit much for a man of Basie's stature. I was privileged to meet Count Basie and talked to him a couple times. He was a really down-to-earth guy. There was nothing down-to-earth about his band!! Especially in the late 70s when he had Butch Miles on drums, it was as good as any band I've ever seen. I still miss him. But I'm happy to report that the Orchestra is still going under the direction of Scotty Barnhart.
I can't stand that song "Feelings" either. If I never heard it again it would be too soon, haha!

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Oh yeah, he really got into his bands and showed it onstage! I can see why! They were always the best, most edgy and daring musicians around.
Sinatra insisted on nothing less. That’s why he loved playing with the Basie Orchestra which played with a lot of feeling and was tighter than a small gnat’s ***.

Reactions: SouthernCAlabama

SouthernCAlabama

Sep 11, 2021
Sinatra insisted on nothing less. That’s why he loved playing with the Basie Orchestra which played with a lot of feeling and was tighter than a small gnat’s ***.
He had really exquisite musical taste and instinct. He was a true master! I love to see him really start enjoying what the band is doing. He lights up the room!

Latest posts