OT: TMB Movie Club - Use this thread for feature films in theaters or streaming....

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Just went to see creator yesterday. It was pretty good.
Anyone see the decaprio movie. Is it good at 3 hours 27 min. I see the critics liked it and that scares me. šŸ¤£
Killers of The Flower Moon is a terrific flick but quite long to sit through. Will be on AppleTV in about 45 days.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Just went to see creator yesterday. It was pretty good.
Anyone see the decaprio movie. Is it good at 3 hours 27 min. I see the critics liked it and that scares me. šŸ¤£

I haven't seen it yet, but if it's like the Irishman, Scorsese is really destroying the argument director's have made forever that studios force too much editing on them and lose their vision.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Yeah, Loki is a bit schizo. Finished Fall of the House of Usher, good show strings together Poe tales into a family structure. ā€œSuccessionā€ of horror.
I wasn't sure about House of Usher. Loki is so bad I doubt I'll finish it.

Reactions: JerseyLion

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I wasn't sure about House of Usher. Loki is so bad I doubt I'll finish it.
I am not impressed by any of the Disney+ shows lately. Maybe they are running out of interesting (or even coherent) stories to tell in the Marvel and Star Wars universes.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I am not impressed by any of the Disney+ shows lately. Maybe they are running out of interesting (or even coherent) stories to tell in the Marvel and Star Wars universes.
I think the entire Marvel product jumped the shark with the Multiverse. I get why it works in comics but I don't think it translates well to the screen.

Reactions: JerseyLion

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
So frustrating this guy couldnā€™t get it together.

No kidding. What a bizaar story. Too much smoke in other places to think he might not have issues but this chick seems to be kind of crazy as well. I guess crazy does attract crazy.

Reactions: Midnighter

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I DVR'd From Dusk to Dawn 2 and 3. Because I need to keep with the entire story line. šŸ™„

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I think the entire Marvel product jumped the shark with the Multiverse. I get why it works in comics but I don't think it translates well to the screen.
The jump the shark was endgame. After that all marvel went to hell.

Reactions: bbrown

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Has there been much talk about The Holdovers, Alexander Payne? His better movies are excellent, and this film seems to have a promising premise, boarding school over winter break. He did teenage angst very well in The Descendants. Well his films always bear watching, heā€™s never boring and he uses good actors.
Wife and I just saw The Holdovers and it was excellent. Paul Giamatti, Oscar worthy performance.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Saw this yesterday. Flavors of Tim Burton, Baz Luhrman, etc. kind of a spin on the Frankenstein story but with a very horny Emma Stone (lots of T&A in this one), and great performances from Willem Dafoe and Mark Ruffalo. Offbeat, will not be for everyone.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Saw this yesterday. Flavors of Tim Burton, Baz Luhrman, etc. kind of a spin on the Frankenstein story but with a very horny Emma Stone (lots of T&A in this one), and great performances from Willem Dafoe and Mark Ruffalo. Offbeat, will not be for everyone.

Iā€™m catching it.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Wanted to give a headā€™s up that Charley Varrick is now on Netflix. If youā€™ve never seen it, youā€™re in for a treat. It holds up very well.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Has there been much talk about The Holdovers, Alexander Payne? His better movies are excellent, and this film seems to have a promising premise, boarding school over winter break. He did teenage angst very well in The Descendants. Well his films always bear watching, heā€™s never boring and he uses good actors.

If you like Alexander Payne, you'll love The Holdovers. I finally got around to it last night, and I thought it was great.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Role Play to drop on Amazon with Kelly Cuoco on January 12th. BTW, saw two good movies over the weekend. Both are older. The first is a Ricky Gervais comedy named Special Correspondents with Eric Bana and Vera Farmiga. Very funny and probably closer to how the media works than we want to know. The second is a movie I've never heard of named Those Who Wish Me Dead with Angelina Jolie. Some story holes here but it is suspenseful and the photography is exceptional (as all Tayler Sheridan movies are). lastly, I saw a British mini-series named "Foll Me Once." Not great but worth it. I was memorized by the female lead who is named Michelle Keegan.

Michelle Keegan

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Second trailer:
Leave the World Behind

Finally saw this; overall thought it was pretty solid and while there are some big holes in the narrative, it was well done and pretty entertaining. My biggest issue is that I do not believe it would be literal 'days' for the US Government to find a way to get a message to people about the circumstances of the event. This really only works because our protagonists are in an isolated area. Some of the visuals were cool (the barge heading toward the beach) and I loved the interaction between the families (nice to see 'Industry' star Myha'la Herrold in something different). They're a bit heavy handed with the 'message', but it's sort of wiped away at the end with the Friends DVD....

Reactions: Woodpecker

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Is succession any good. Seems like it cleaned up at the globes. Same with beef and the bear.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Finally saw this; overall thought it was pretty solid and while there are some big holes in the narrative, it was well done and pretty entertaining. My biggest issue is that I do not believe it would be literal 'days' for the US Government to find a way to get a message to people about the circumstances of the event. This really only works because our protagonists are in an isolated area. Some of the visuals were cool (the barge heading toward the beach) and I loved the interaction between the families (nice to see 'Industry' star Myha'la Herrold in something different). They're a bit heavy handed with the 'message', but it's sort of wiped away at the end with the Friends DVD....

The scene in the bed didnā€™t really add anything to the movie except to put some point out there that they tried a little to hard to say.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Is succession any good. Seems like it cleaned up at the globes. Same with beef and the bear.
Succession is good, as well as the Bear. The Bear at times is very very intense. I havent seen or heard of beef until the other night. I think Lessons in Chemistry should have won more.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Succession is good, as well as the Bear. The Bear at times is very very intense. I havent seen or heard of beef until the other night. I think Lessons in Chemistry should have won more.

Succession and The Bear are both excellent; just prestige level work all over - talent, showrunners, writers, etc. Both shows have flexed directoral muscle too in the way certain episodes were shot which is something I really appreciate (one 18 minute episode of The Bear was done in one continuous shot). Highly recommend. I haven't seen 'Beef' yet but it's on the list.

Reactions: ApexLion

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Yes lessons was very strange. I thought she would invent a crispier corn flak or something.

Reactions: s1uggo72

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

Succession and the Bear are great. Beef was good, but eventually went weird for my liking.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

It did a great job as a suspense film of building and maintaining the suspense. I was interested and on edge the whole time, so well done in that respect. They just really missed on the ending. And as you note, large plot holes.

SPOILERS: for example, no explanation for how they wouldā€™ve caused the noise at that volume over an obviously enormous expanse. But more absurdly, the deer made absolutely no sense based on the explanation of what happened.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
It did a great job as a suspense film of building and maintaining the suspense. I was interested and on edge the whole time, so well done in that respect. They just really missed on the ending. And as you note, large plot holes.

SPOILERS: for example, no explanation for how they wouldā€™ve caused the noise at that volume over an obviously enormous expanse. But more absurdly, the deer made absolutely no sense based on the explanation of what happened.
I thought it was just ehhh.
Acting was good.
But if they wanted to do something like that they should have just taken the book One Second After and turned into a series.

Reactions: wbcbus

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

Also watched the new to streaming 3rd Equalizer. Not much of a fan and I am a big Denzel Washington fan and liked the first 2 but this one just seemed off to me. Itā€™s like the producer or director said hey those John Wick movies are intersting letā€™s turn McCall into himšŸ™„

Reactions: wbcbus

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Also watched the new to streaming 3rd Equalizer. Not much of a fan and I am a big Denzel Washington fan and liked the first 2 but this one just seemed off to me. Itā€™s like the producer or director said hey those John Wick movies are intersting letā€™s turn McCall into himšŸ™„
I like the equalizer movie series. Your right about John wick though without a gun of course which always cracks me up that he throws the guns he gets away against top militant professionals.