OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
I know many couldn't handle the cringe factor on 'The Curse', but I've been really loving it recently. The three leads are really, really excellent (Emma Stone, Nathan Fielder, and Bennie Safdie) and watching them slowly peel false layers away to reveal their true selves and motivations has been really exciting to watch (Emma Stone's Whitney 'breaking bad' a bit is awesome since she's typically such a wholesome, good person in her roles). It's still difficult to watch at times (mostly because Fielder is so good at being awkward) but that's part of the experience I think. Finale to come soon!

The Curse has really been a fascinating show. It can definitely be a cringey watch at times, but Emma Stone has been fantastic in it. She is such a good actress.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The Curse has really been a fascinating show. It can definitely be a cringey watch at times, but Emma Stone has been fantastic in it. She is such a good actress.

Yeah, she goes from earnest do-gooder to master of evil very quickly and in horrifying fashion. Can't wait to see how this ends.

Good time for TV - Fargo ends next week and True Detective begins. YES.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Just finished The Curse. Never seen anything like it; would have never predicted the ending in a million years. Wow.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
True Detective S4 E1. Interesting start, seems to want to have the same atmosphere as S1, which is a good thing. Dark environment, a cool Easter Egg early on and good tunes in the show. Looking forward to more and Fargo S5 ends tonight.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
True Detective S4 E1. Interesting start, seems to want to have the same atmosphere as S1, which is a good thing. Dark environment, a cool Easter Egg early on and good tunes in the show. Looking forward to more and Fargo S5 ends tonight.
Great news on Fargo - I can finally watch it! I would like to blame my advanced age but I've always had a poor memory so I've taken to always bingeing complete seasons of almost all shows.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Agree - they’re leaning into the ‘supernatural’ element a lot more than any of the other seasons, and I love the location as its own character. Surprised at how good Kali Reis is - really hold her own with Foster.

What is the Easter Egg?

Reactions: rudedude and bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Was listening to a Stephen King Podcast and they had the Writer, director and Show runner, Issa Lopez, on. She said a lot of it pays homage to The Thing and has a lot of Stephen King "Weird **** in small town" going down in it. (y)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I am 2 episodes in. Almost up after 1, and then 2 ... tell me it gets better

I think so, but it's a very particular style of storytelling. Definitely not for everyone. The ending is the payoff; it's mostly more of the same until then (there are some big character plot points that are revealed throughout though). Ultimately worth it for me as a massive Emma Stone fan and fan of surrealist (David Lynch, David Cronenberg) storytelling.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I agree, philosophical nature left lacking in the revenge factor IMO.

Yeah, and really goes against the grain of other more successful seasons of Fargo. I felt like this was very much a re-hashing and expansion of the movie, but there isn't any real payoff for the viewer. The last we see of the big bad is him in jail looking pretty great (and still a threat IMO). The one guy worth rooting for was murdered. Munch ended up better than expected but really - biscuits? Might be time to retire Fargo if Hawley is out of ideas (and I think he's tremendous).

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
I have not read this thread, but saw it bump to the top. I'm certain this has been discussed in the previous pages. My wife and I just started watching Ted Lasso. LOVE IT! Really well done. Both funny and serious in the same epsiodes. I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it.

SPOILER..it's awesome when Ted starts to tie in the classic coaching cliche's and you can just see them coming.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I have not read this thread, but saw it bump to the top. I'm certain this has been discussed in the previous pages. My wife and I just started watching Ted Lasso. LOVE IT! Really well done. Both funny and serious in the same epsiodes. I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it.

SPOILER..it's awesome when Ted starts to tie in the classic coaching cliche's and you can just see them coming.

I enjoyed the first two seasons a lot, but it loses steam I think. I think season three is the last one and probably a good thing. Overall worth it and very well done, but I don't find myself pining to finish S3 anytime soon; part of it is the show not deciding what it wants to be (comedy/drama).

Reactions: LionJim and JWB389

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021

Ted Lasso started off great, but it becomes hot garbage by the final season. Each season gets progressively worse for that show. Just my opinion.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ted Lasso started off great, but it becomes hot garbage by the final season. Each season gets progressively worse for that show. Just my opinion.

Yeah - the things that made the show were how refreshing and charming the characters are but by middle of S2 they just don’t have any new ideas or go anywhere.

Last edited:

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, and really goes against the grain of other more successful seasons of Fargo. I felt like this was very much a re-hashing and expansion of the movie, but there isn't any real payoff for the viewer. The last we see of the big bad is him in jail looking pretty great (and still a threat IMO). The one guy worth rooting for was murdered. Munch ended up better than expected but really - biscuits? Might be time to retire Fargo if Hawley is out of ideas (and I think he's tremendous).
I thought the concept of breaking the cycle of evil that has permeated the Fargo universe was new and different. In my opinion, the last 20 minutes of the finale was brilliant.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I thought the concept of breaking the cycle of evil that has permeated the Fargo universe was new and different. In my opinion, the last 20 minutes of the finale was brilliant.

Yeah, upon further reflection I agree - the entire Munch sequence was really smart and very entertaining. Still didn’t like the Tillman resolution.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Rewatched the Fargo ending and wow it really was quite profound in that forgiveness and love are what really matters in life. A story of survival and how to move on, Dot was the perfect example of this with all the horrible crap she endured on her life, but she always fought for her family and her family’s happiness. So much so that she showed
Compassion and love to the sin eater , who, for the first time in his life was able to “eat” love vs hate, greed, etc. may be one of the most satisfying endings to a Fargo season. Has touches of a Serious Man (Another Coen Brothers film) where the protagonist has to endure biblical
tragedies. A Serious Man is one of the better Coen Nros films IMO.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Rewatched the Fargo ending and wow it really was quite profound in that forgiveness and love are what really matters in life. A story of survival and how to love on, Dot was the perfect example of this with all the horrible crap she endured on her life, but she always fought for her family and her family’s happiness. So much so that she sjowed
Compassion and love to the son water, who, for the first time in his life was able to “eat” love vs hate, greed, etc. may be one of the most satisfying endings to a Fargo season. Has touches of a Serious Man (Another Coen Brothers film) where the protagonist has to endure biblical
tragedies. A Serious Man is one of the better Coen Nros films IMO.
“A Serious Man” is very very fine. Strangest ending ever but it works.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Watched the first episode and liked it. Strong
The Thing, Stephen King and Twin Peaks (think Bob) vibes.
Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
After seeing the first episode, I’m not sure if it will be great, or if it will be a woke crapfest. I will give it one more episode because Jodie Foster is typically great in everything, but if episode 2 isn’t compelling, I’m out.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
After seeing the first episode, I’m not sure if it will be great, or if it will be a woke crapfest. I will give it one more episode because Jodie Foster is typically great in everything, but if episode 2 isn’t compelling, I’m out.
Because it has Indigenous peoples in it? Really?
let it go lol GIF by Oxygen

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Yeah, she goes from earnest do-gooder to master of evil very quickly and in horrifying fashion. Can't wait to see how this ends.

Good time for TV - Fargo ends next week and True Detective begins. YES.
I'm having a hard time getting through the first one, but after hearing you guys I'm going to power through.