OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Damn, finished The Bear S2 and Carmy f*cked himself in the end. Damn. Maybe he's relieved?

Yeah, I absolutely love this show, but I’m only going to have so many seasons of watching Jeremy Allen White think he doesn’t deserve anything and intentionally sabotaging himself as a result. I already watched 10 seasons of that on Shameless.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
If you aren’t already, now is a great time to catch up on Letterkenny before the final season…

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

Watched the first 2 episodes of Bass Reeves on Paramount+. Thought it was pretty good.
David Oyelowo is very good.

Reactions: Midnighter

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Does this seem like the plot to maybe a half dozen other movies?
The Family Plan

Last edited:

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Surely this photo will not mean anything to most people, but try to focus on the people around the highlighted man

Now imagine the man in the center of a larger photo, depicting a large group of people gathered in a ballroom with a palm tree in the background. Are you starting to associate it with something familiar?

Now imagine seeing Jack Nicholson's face instead of this man's face, or rather, imagine seeing Jack Torrance's face. That's right, this is the unretouched version of the famous final photograph of the film "The Shining", Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece.

The director inserted this photograph, modified with the protagonist's face, in the final scene, driving fans crazy who for years racked their brains trying to understand what it could mean. The original photo was unobtainable for years until it reappeared in a photography manual from 1985 which presents this photo as an example of photo retouching performed with an airbrush. The authors of the book, Peter Owen and John Sutcliffe, were responsible for the photographic makeup for Kubrick.
1699549110211.png

😉

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
"This scene has been interpreted many ways, and one of the most popular explanations is that it represents the hotel “absorbing” Jack's soul. Although this makes sense, Kubrick himself has said the photo actually suggests Jack being a reincarnation of an earlier official at the hotel."

"The reincarnated Jack explanation makes sense when going back to his conversation with Grady in the bathroom, where the butler tells Jack that he has “always been the caretaker.” This explanation for The Shining ending also fits with the role of both Grady characters mentioned in the film: the past caretaker and the ghost. The ghost is Delbert Grady, and the past caretaker was Charles Grady. Jack says he saw Delbert in the newspaper, and thus he is the reincarnation of Charles Grady.

While the explanation that Jack is in the photo at the end of The Shining because he's a reincarnated former employee makes sense, this isn't explained in the movie itself. It's also not immediately obvious when rewatching with that knowledge (unlike, say, The Sixth Sense, where rewatching with the knowledge that Bruce Willis's character is also dead completely changes the viewing experience). Kubrick's explanation for the Jack Torrance's appearance in the 1921 ballroom photo may be plausible, but it's also one of the few weaker elements of The Shining, as such a significant plot element could have been both further elaborated on and made more apparent."

🧐

1699549567577.png
Click to enlarge

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
"This scene has been interpreted many ways, and one of the most popular explanations is that it represents the hotel “absorbing” Jack's soul. Although this makes sense, Kubrick himself has said the photo actually suggests Jack being a reincarnation of an earlier official at the hotel."

"The reincarnated Jack explanation makes sense when going back to his conversation with Grady in the bathroom, where the butler tells Jack that he has “always been the caretaker.” This explanation for The Shining ending also fits with the role of both Grady characters mentioned in the film: the past caretaker and the ghost. The ghost is Delbert Grady, and the past caretaker was Charles Grady. Jack says he saw Delbert in the newspaper, and thus he is the reincarnation of Charles Grady.

While the explanation that Jack is in the photo at the end of The Shining because he's a reincarnated former employee makes sense, this isn't explained in the movie itself. It's also not immediately obvious when rewatching with that knowledge (unlike, say, The Sixth Sense, where rewatching with the knowledge that Bruce Willis's character is also dead completely changes the viewing experience). Kubrick's explanation for the Jack Torrance's appearance in the 1921 ballroom photo may be plausible, but it's also one of the few weaker elements of The Shining, as such a significant plot element could have been both further elaborated on and made more apparent."

🧐

View attachment 444592
Click to enlarge
Kuibrick never liked King's version of Jack and King HATED Kubrick's version of Jack.
King's version where the Hotel drove, someone already on the edge off is much better. I like some of the plotting and love the tracking shots of the film but the book was much, much better. But then I'm a big King fan.

Reactions: step.eng69

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
For the DC Animated fans, Warworld is on Max now. Lobo is a pretty prominent character which makes it that much better.

DC Animation is tremendous. Not for everyone, but the Harley Quinn series on Max is hilarious and very well done. Love Lobo and will check this out. Also, sad news that Lobo co-creator Keith Giffen passed away recently.

Reactions: ewb75 and bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
DC Animation is tremendous. Not for everyone, but the Harley Quinn series on Max is hilarious and very well done. Love Lobo and will check this out. Also, sad news that Lobo co-creator Keith Giffen passed away recently.
I like the DC Animation series better than the DC movies and lately better than the Marvel movies and streaming series.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
"Grizelda" to be released on January 25th starring Sophia Vergara. This is about Griselda Blanco who is known as the Black Widow of Cocaine. She perfected a way to kill her competition using motorcycles. Basically, two people on a bike drive up beside the victim's car when stopped. The person on the back pulls up an automatic weapon and they shoot into the victim. They then speed away using the bike which can go around parked cars, traffic jams, and even go off-road. She had several people killed. Ironically, she was killed using that same tactic in 2012.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Moms and I watched this in like 5 days, SO GREAT
”I loved that c unt like a brother”

Wow. We started it a couple weeks ago. Not finished yet but really dig it.

I also started The Curse - really interesting and cringy at times (definitely the vibe they’re going for). Emma Stone wears the hell out of some jeans too. It’s early but I like it. Emma will host SNL in two weeks and she is reliably awesome on there.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Wow. We started it a couple weeks ago. Not finished yet but really dig it.

I also started The Curse - really interesting and cringy at times (definitely the vibe they’re going for). Emma Stone wears the hell out of some jeans too. It’s early but I like it. Emma will host SNL in two weeks and she is reliably awesome on there.

As great as she is, I don’t think people appreciate how good Emma Stone is at acting. There are some sequences in episode 1 of The Curse where the camera focuses on her face, and she conveys an entire spectrum of emotions without saying a word.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
S5 banging so far. Pays lots of subtle tribute to the original film.

Yeah, totally agree. I did think the 'flashback' was a bit weird last night, but overall loving this season. It's essentially the move, but what if the wife was a badass?

Reactions: rudedude

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
This is probably old news to most, but I was “this past weekend years old“ when I found out the HBO show from a couple years ago ”Ballers“ starring The Rock was based in part on former PSU WR Charlie Fields.
FIFY.........maybe Chafie Fields?

Reactions: psuro

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
There are random Easter eggs and sometimes direct ties between seasons (1, 2 & 4 come to mind) but they’re not interconnected. This season mostly resembles the movie but even then, you don’t have to have seen it to enjoy.
Jon Hamm with nipple rings! 😂😂😂😂

• Wow