OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
..and dropping today, December 7th

I checked this out. Actually had some video clips I’ve never seen . Some nice voice overs and interviews of people who were there on the frontlines. Much respect to the Allies who persevered . My grandfather landed at Anzio . He never said anything about it like most veterans.

Reactions: Lanz and Midnighter

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
I checked this out. Actually had some video clips I’ve never seen . Some nice voice overs and interviews of people who were there on the frontlines. Much respect to the Allies who persevered . My grandfather landed at Anzio . He never said anything about it like most veterans.
Agree. I thought that they did a nice job of adding context. By that, I mean that many series on WW2 concentrate on one location before going to another. Here, they show what we were dealing with on all fronts (NAfrica, Italy, Soviet Union, Japan, China, etc.). So it added context to the world struggle and how challenging this must have been, logistically. I don't believe our allies were involved in the South Pacific yet we played major roles in NA and Europe.

BTW,
  • I tried to watch "The Curse" and found it to be lacking.
  • i really liked "Leave the World Behind" but there were a couple of issues that I really didn't like but don't want to add spoilers here
  • I also watched a good movie named "Fair Play" about a woman who is moving up the ladder at work but many guys can't handle her success.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
Couldn’t get into The Curse either. Too cringy. I really enjoyed Lessons in Chemistry. I know I’m a year late but really dug Daisy Jones and the Six.
I just finished Daisy Jones also. I think it might have been the best thing I watched in the last year.

Reactions: Rotzc

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Couldn’t get into The Curse either. Too cringy. I really enjoyed Lessons in Chemistry. I know I’m a year late but really dug Daisy Jones and the Six.
Maybe I am reading too much into it but this under 30 crowd target, and their movies, are cringy and dark. I feel like I should be wearing Goth when I watch them. I watched "May December" which Netflix is pushing for tons of awards. I think everyone in the movie has been nominated for a Golden Globe. It basically takes the Mary Kay Letourneau situation and legitimizes it. Very creepy.

While there is some really great viewing out there (the Morning Show for example), there is a lot of really bad crap being released.

Reactions: Rotzc

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
This year was a gift for TV/streaming shows - Last of Us, House of the Dragon, Succession, The Crown, Gilded Age, Fargo, The Curse (love it!) - and still have a few to get to - Murder at the End of the World, Gen V. But without a doubt one of the best things I’ve watched was Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix. It’s animated, but from the writer of Logan and Blade Runner 2049. It’s a revenge story set in feudal Japan about a ‘half breed’ with blue eyes hunting down the four remaining white men in Japan (one of whom may be their father). It’s bloody and very mature; one of the most compelling stories of revenge I’ve seen. Just renewed for Season 2. Absolutely top notch and highly recommended.

Reactions: bbrown

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry if already mentioned, but I just finished Midnight Mass, a seven episode Netflix series. It was made by Mike Flanagan, who also did The Haunting of Hill House.

I thought it was one of the best TV series that I have seen in years.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbrown and Obliviax

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Sorry if already mentioned, but I just finished Midnight Mass, a seven episode Netflix series. It was made by Mike Flanaganwho also did The Haunting of Hill House.

I thought it was one of the best TV series that I have seen in years.
Liked Midnight Mass but haven't been able to get into Haunting of Hill House.
Am liking the Bass Reeves series. Cast is excellent but the stories could have been better but all in all enjoyable.
Watched Leave the World Behind on Netflix the other night. Ehhh not really a fan. It was slow and plodding. There is an excellent book called One Second After that deals with a similar "fallout" that would have been 100x better as a series.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Liked Midnight Mass but haven't been able to get into Haunting of Hill House.
Am liking the Bass Reeves series. Cast is excellent but the stories could have been better but all in all enjoyable.
Watched Leave the World Behind on Netflix the other night. Ehhh not really a fan. It was slow and plodding. There is an excellent book called One Second After that deals with a similar "fallout" that would have been 100x better as a series.
For me, the problem with Midnight Mass is that for it to work you need to be willing to repress your disbelief for seven hours, too long. The same problem occurs with Black Spot, there are just too many head-shaking plot structures. It's a me thing.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021

• Love
Reactions: rudedude and wbcbus

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
For me, the problem with Midnight Mass is that for it to work you need to be willing to repress your disbelief for seven hours, too long. The same problem occurs with Black Spot, there are just too many head-shaking plot structures. It's a me thing.
I liked the Midnight Club better. Too bad there won't be another season.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Had a chance to watch this Yogi Berra documentary. Wow what a story. I was the anti-Yankee fan, and grew up after his playing days were over. I just knew him as this funny guy who was often the butt of jokes and his appearance on commercials. In spite of this predisposition, the story pulled at all of my emotions. One amazing man with a full life well lived. Bravo.

Reactions: ManxomeLion

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Watched this for maybe 10 minutes and turned it off. What dreck, derivative Star Wars etc done ala 300 slo mo. A steaming pile of dog crap IMO.
I watched it last night, ehhh. I don't think I'd call it a steaming pile of dog crap but it wasn't very good.
It was like a version of the Magnificent 7 meets Star Wars...a bad version.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

Late to the party on this one but I binged The Crown on Netflix over Christmas and it is excellent. The actress playing Diana is spot on eerily her. Dominic West as Prince Charles is funny just because of The Wire. Matt Smith as Phillip is also very good. John Lithgow as Churchill is excellent. The budget on this must have been huge. Gorgeously filmed.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Late to the party on this one but I binged The Crown on Netflix over Christmas and it is excellent. The actress playing Diana is spot on eerily her. Dominic West as Prince Charles is funny just because of The Wire. Matt Smith as Phillip is also very good. John Lithgow as Churchill is excellent. The budget on this must have been huge. Gorgeously filmed.

Agree - all the cast was excellent (Olivia Colman’s Queen Elizabeth was my favorite Queen) but the two Diana’s were outstanding. We have the last half of the final season to go.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Agree - all the cast was excellent (Olivia Colman’s Queen Elizabeth was my favorite Queen) but the two Diana’s were outstanding. We have the last half of the final season to go.
The Duke of Windsor is a hoot too. Man that family was messy. LOL.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Agree about Olivia Coleman she was excellent. I really didn't like "Professor Umbridge" much as the Queen.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
I'm sure I'm really late on this one, but just finished "Warrior" on HBO, damn good, hope they are making another season and really enjoyed Toyko Vice as well.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Slow Horses just wound up season 3 with season 4 on tap for later in 2024. A worthy British spy drama based on the Slough House novels and featuring a grizzled Gary Oldman in the lead.
I just want to throw him in the shower sometimes!!! good series!

Reactions: rudedude

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Totally agree , two Diana's were perfect, favorite episode was Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret partying with LBJ to convince him to sign legislation. Loved Claire Foy, and Olivia Colman as the Queen, Imelda Staunton was what you would expect from an aging monarch , in a family filled with tragedy and dysfunction. The characters of William, Harry, and Kate were tops. The most perfectly cast series i have ever watched.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I know many couldn't handle the cringe factor on 'The Curse', but I've been really loving it recently. The three leads are really, really excellent (Emma Stone, Nathan Fielder, and Bennie Safdie) and watching them slowly peel false layers away to reveal their true selves and motivations has been really exciting to watch (Emma Stone's Whitney 'breaking bad' a bit is awesome since she's typically such a wholesome, good person in her roles). It's still difficult to watch at times (mostly because Fielder is so good at being awkward) but that's part of the experience I think. Finale to come soon!

Reactions: Obliviax

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Totally agree , two Diana's were perfect, favorite episode was Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret partying with LBJ to convince him to sign legislation. Loved Claire Foy, and Olivia Colman as the Queen, Imelda Staunton was what you would expect from an aging monarch , in a family filled with tragedy and dysfunction. The characters of William, Harry, and Kate were tops. The most perfectly cast series i have ever watched.
I have the final season left. I do t like the casting as much. I’m not crazy about Prof. Umbridge as the queen. Also don’t like Jonathan price as Phillip and as much as I loved the wire and Dominic West he as a horrible choice for Charles.
Bonham Carter was funny and I liked the LBJ scene too. I think my favorite episodes were the intruder in the Palace and the one about Apartheid. And Gillian Anderson as Thatcher was brilliant. It’s a gorgeously filmed series.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I have the final season left. I do t like the casting as much. I’m not crazy about Prof. Umbridge as the queen. Also don’t like Jonathan price as Phillip and as much as I loved the wire and Dominic West he as a horrible choice for Charles.
Bonham Carter was funny and I liked the LBJ scene too. I think my favorite episodes were the intruder in the Palace and the one about Apartheid. And Gillian Anderson as Thatcher was brilliant. It’s a gorgeously filmed series.

Agree with a lot of this but for all the later season casting blunders the Diana's are awesome. Elizabeth Debicki is tremendous.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Agree with a lot of this but for all the later season casting blunders the Diana's are awesome. Elizabeth Debicki is tremendous.
Yes they were fantastic. Especially the one in the final 2 season.
One thing I found interesting and I'm not sure if it's the "show runner" or whom but the music really changed in the later seasons. I wondered why in the 60's there was nothing from The Beatles or Stones. It wasn't until they did the Apollo episode that brought in Bowie. Later on with Diana she was listening to a lot of stuff from the 80's, Cure, Bauhaus, UB40, Queen.
And even though I didn't like some of the later casting decisions they were all excellent.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I also loved the Green Sports coupe that Charles drove. I was trying to figure out what it was and all I could come up with was an Aston Martin but what a cool car. 🤣