OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I felt like it was non stop action (done poorly IMO) without building the characters and story line. Maybe I would have felt differently if I knew more about the directors history going into it I guess
I hear ya. It was sort of like having a bowl of frozen yogurt with the kids - tastes okay, finish the bowl before you get home and forget about it 10 minutes later! Not much substance.

Reactions: Fortheglory612

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I went back last night to check out Hunters with Pacino and a group of young and old who find and eliminate Nazis. The first two episodes are riveting, Tarantinoesque and all over the place. What's the BWI Streaming Club's take on that series? I confess I knew about it when it started but reviews were mixed at the time so I moved on to other series.

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021
The new Manti Te’o documentary is now out on Netflix if anyone is interested. It’s two episodes. The first is more about the background and how it all happened. Second episode focuses more on behind the scenes of how the press found out, etc. I found it really interesting. I know we all know the story but there was a lot more info in this. Recommend if you like documentaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Got GSPs

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Finally finished Sandman ... it was worth fighting through the initial naps. I'm not familiar with the source material, so I'm not sure if this was in line with that, or a product of screen adaptation, but I thought the start of the series set a dark, foreboding tone, and then it kind of wavered back and forth between a family friendly morality fantasy, and something more adult, with the ending being too syrupy. But, overall, it was engaging.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Anyone dig into GoT: House of the Dragon yet? NO SPOILERS....

I really, really enjoyed the premiere. It's a lot easier to get into than GoT was since I was more familiar with the material, and though not as sprawling as GoT, they do a nice job of setting up the major plot points (all having to do with heirs) and giving all the major players enough time to establish who they are and what they're about. Some of the criticism (the only criticism I've seen to be honest) is that the show is not GoT II - and that it's too focused on one family. But, there is more than enough drama within the family and their inner circle to drive the show. Lots of acting standouts too - Matt Smith is just the right amount of Joffrey/Ramsey as Prince Daemon Targaryen; Paddy Considine is surprisingly warm and compasionate as King Viserys; and Milly Alcock as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen is just really, really cool (what Danaerys would have been if she grew up riding dragons and not running for her life). It's brutal and bloody in parts and will be familiar for those who watched and liked GoT. There was also a preview of what's to come and I think it looks great. I'm in.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
OK, now I've fallen asleep 3 times trying to get through episode 1 of Sandman. I haven't hated it when I was watching it ... I can't put my finger on it. It's slow. It's quiet. So maybe that's it. But there was enough to keep me going back for round 4, maybe. I'll just have to have a coffee beforehand.
Stick with it, very well done. They even dropped a surprise episode last week that was excellent.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Anyone dig into GoT: House of the Dragon yet? NO SPOILERS....

I really, really enjoyed the premiere. It's a lot easier to get into than GoT was since I was more familiar with the material, and though not as sprawling as GoT, they do a nice job of setting up the major plot points (all having to do with heirs) and giving all the major players enough time to establish who they are and what they're about. Some of the criticism (the only criticism I've seen to be honest) is that the show is not GoT II - and that it's too focused on one family. But, there is more than enough drama within the family and their inner circle to drive the show. Lots of acting standouts too - Matt Smith is just the right amount of Joffrey/Ramsey as Prince Daemon Targaryen; Paddy Considine is surprisingly warm and compasionate as King Viserys; and Milly Alcock as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen is just really, really cool (what Danaerys would have been if she grew up riding dragons and not running for her life). It's brutal and bloody in parts and will be familiar for those who watched and liked GoT. There was also a preview of what's to come and I think it looks great. I'm in.
I thought it was well done and had me interested from the start. Daemon Targaryen is a right awful prick and will be a great protagonist, plus no waiting around for friggin dragons to hatch!!

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Finally finished Sandman ... it was worth fighting through the initial naps. I'm not familiar with the source material, so I'm not sure if this was in line with that, or a product of screen adaptation, but I thought the start of the series set a dark, foreboding tone, and then it kind of wavered back and forth between a family friendly morality fantasy, and something more adult, with the ending being too syrupy. But, overall, it was engaging.
Did you catch the surprise episode released last week?

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The new Manti Te’o documentary is now out on Netflix if anyone is interested. It’s two episodes. The first is more about the background and how it all happened. Second episode focuses more on behind the scenes of how the press found out, etc. I found it really interesting. I know we all know the story but there was a lot more info in this. Recommend if you like documentaries.
It made me really sympathetic to Man-Ti. What a crappy situation he was put in.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Anybody watch the first episode of House of the Dragon? Thoughts? I'll watch the next few episodes and see if it captures that intrigue or not. The dragon looked excellent.

I think I may have missed some stuff because the actors do not always speak clearly. Even repeating with higher volume did not always help.

I just read an article saying to pay attention to visions and how the iron throne treats those who sit upon it. Repeated cuts mean it is rejecting the person sitting upon it.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
GRMMs world is simply a fantastic setting. There is a good many stories that could be told there and be consumed for years to come.

Ep. 1 was a fantastic start. I really liked how they set it up with the commentary and visuals. The characters all seem well cast.

Definitely will be watching. Not shocked it drew nearly 10 million. There are people who subscribe to HBO just for GoT. I assume this show will be no different.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
GRMMs world is simply a fantastic setting. There is a good many stories that could be told there and be consumed for years to come.

Ep. 1 was a fantastic start. I really liked how they set it up with the commentary and visuals. The characters all seem well cast.

Definitely will be watching. Not shocked it drew nearly 10 million. There are people who subscribe to HBO just for GoT. I assume this show will be no different.
But but it’s too “woke”. Didn’t you get the memo?🙄🤣

• Wow

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
But but it’s too “woke”. Didn’t you get the memo?🙄🤣

This kind of thinking is why my brother doesn't want to watch any new streaming content (with one recent exception*). He's mad that they're making a big thing out of a woman potentially being queen, despite that narrative fitting in perfectly with GRRM's GoT world (this isn't the enlightened age folks - royals will trade their sisters for a horse army you know?). But, he's way more upset over the 'woke' shifts in Star Wars and the new Lord of the Rings show. His loss. That said, the one thing I've read that I didn't even consider until reading it is the supposed 'shift' from violence towards women (which was fairly common in the original series) to sidelining them as birthing instruments for the most part (if you've seen the first episode, this is made somewhat explicit during Rhaenyra's discussion about childbirth with her very pregnant mother).

*My brother said the way the new Hulu Predator movie 'Prey' handled a female protagonist (the very lovely Amber Midthunder) was great, because it wasn't 'shoved in your face'. So, there's that.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Did you catch the surprise episode released last week?

I haven't watched yet but will. Really hoping Sandman gets another season. S1 was great, but this is a really difficult show to do in ten episodes; it's one of the biggest, most expansive comic book universes and the stories are very non-traditional (they're less about Dream/Sandman and more about regular people). Gaiman says he's hopeful for another one though. Fingers crossed.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
This kind of thinking is why my brother doesn't want to watch any new streaming content (with one recent exception*). He's mad that they're making a big thing out of a woman potentially being queen, despite that narrative fitting in perfectly with GRRM's GoT world (this isn't the enlightened age folks - royals will trade their sisters for a horse army you know?). But, he's way more upset over the 'woke' shifts in Star Wars and the new Lord of the Rings show. His loss. That said, the one thing I've read that I didn't even consider until reading it is the supposed 'shift' from violence towards women (which was fairly common in the original series) to sidelining them as birthing instruments for the most part (if you've seen the first episode, this is made somewhat explicit during Rhaenyra's discussion about childbirth with her very pregnant mother).

*My brother said the way the new Hulu Predator movie 'Prey' handled a female protagonist (the very lovely Amber Midthunder) was great, because it wasn't 'shoved in your face'. So, there's that.
+1. Disney is now some kind of evil empire🤷‍♂️🙄

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I haven't watched yet but will. Really hoping Sandman gets another season. S1 was great, but this is a really difficult show to do in ten episodes; it's one of the biggest, most expansive comic book universes and the stories are very non-traditional (they're less about Dream/Sandman and more about regular people). Gaiman says he's hopeful for another one though. Fingers crossed.
I have to give the first episode another try. I fell asleep about half way through🤣

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
+1. Disney is now some kind of evil empire🤷‍♂️🙄

He was downright giddy that the new Batgirl movie was shelved. Thank goodness for The Boys, Rick and Morty, and Squid Game or we wouldn't have many shows to discuss with each other!

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
He was downright giddy that the new Batgirl movie was shelved. Thank goodness for The Boys, Rick and Morty, and Squid Game or we wouldn't have many shows to discuss with each other!
🤦‍♂
They should shelve the new Flash movie
And release Batgirl. 🤣

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021

[Sigh] You're welcome.

17438859_274593472985238_692893695040552960_n.jpg

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Finished “The Lincoln Lawyer” on Netflix. It’s okay, but I allow the improbable aspects of the plot to grate on me.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021
I have two things to post so I’m gonna separate them…

Yellowstone season five starts on November 13

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
The
Figure we need a place for general movie/TV talk. Let’s use this this thread for stuff we’re watching, recommending, want to watch, new trailers, etc.

I’ll start - The Mandalorian spin off ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ looks pretty cool…

current National Parks series running on The National Geographic channel is amazing but has way too many commercials.
it’s also being shown on Disney+
Highly recommended.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I went back last night to check out Hunters with Pacino and a group of young and old who find and eliminate Nazis. The first two episodes are riveting, Tarantinoesque and all over the place. What's the BWI Streaming Club's take on that series? I confess I knew about it when it started but reviews were mixed at the time so I moved on to other series.
What platform is this on?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Couple of shows on my radar - we've been watching/enjoying Season 2 of HBO's 'Industry' (about young financial services professionals who do drugs, have sex, broker deals, etc. at a high end London based firm) and I see S2 (and apparent final season) of Kevin Can F*ck Himself is back with the super lovely Annie Murphy - hope she lands something else soon; my favorite character in Schitt's Creek. Also watched seasons 2 of The Flight Attendant (meh) and Only Murders in the Building (awesome!).

Last edited:
Reactions: wbcbus

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Couple of shows on my rada - we've been watching/enjoying Season 2 of HBO's 'Industry' (about young financial services professionals who do drugs, have sex, broker deals, etc. at a high end London based firm) and I see S2 (and apparent final season) of Kevin Can F*ck Himself is back with the super lovely Annie Murphy - hope she lands something else soon; my favorite character in Schitt's Creek. Also watched seasons 2 of The Flight Attendant (meh) and Only Murders in the Building (awesome!).

KCFH is kinda weird structurally but, once you buy into the half parody, it's not too bad. And yeah, either way there's Annie Murphy

Latest posts