OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone dig into GoT: House of the Dragon yet? NO SPOILERS....

I really, really enjoyed the premiere. It's a lot easier to get into than GoT was since I was more familiar with the material, and though not as sprawling as GoT, they do a nice job of setting up the major plot points (all having to do with heirs) and giving all the major players enough time to establish who they are and what they're about. Some of the criticism (the only criticism I've seen to be honest) is that the show is not GoT II - and that it's too focused on one family. But, there is more than enough drama within the family and their inner circle to drive the show. Lots of acting standouts too - Matt Smith is just the right amount of Joffrey/Ramsey as Prince Daemon Targaryen; Paddy Considine is surprisingly warm and compasionate as King Viserys; and Milly Alcock as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen is just really, really cool (what Danaerys would have been if she grew up riding dragons and not running for her life). It's brutal and bloody in parts and will be familiar for those who watched and liked GoT. There was also a preview of what's to come and I think it looks great. I'm in.
Interesting. You're obviously more movie "savvy" than me....im looking to be entertained and less attuned to the "art" aspect of TV and film, so I value your opinion.

After the first two episodes I am honestly less than impressed. I actually found the dragon special effects/CGI to be lower quality than GOT.

I think the Princess and Prince are compelling characters, but find the King to be too stereotypical of the bumbling fool. Maybe they are setting me up to be surprised.

It is by no means bad...I'll keep watching.

Reactions: Midnighter

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Recent watches:

The Bear (Hulu) - really enjoyed this show, discussed on here previously. Would definitely recommend.

The Old Man (FX) - I was all in on this one through the first couple episodes, but it faded for me down the stretch of this first season.

Big Mouth (Netflix) - Animated show features Nick Kroll and John Mulaney doing voices. It's about kids going through adolescence, and while it's very raunchy, it's hilarious.

House of the Dragon (HBO) - I was skeptical, but I'm loving it through 2 episodes. Obviously very early, but they've got me hooked.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Oh, one more. I'm about halfway through Nathan Fielder's The Rehearsal, and I just do not get all the discussion and praise. It's awful IMO. The whole thing seems blatantly staged and scripted (and I don't just mean the parts that are supposed to be, I mean the people they're supposed to be helping are also actors), so I'm really struggling to understand what's entertaining about it. Someone help me out with what I'm missing.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Oh, one more. I'm about halfway through Nathan Fielder's The Rehearsal, and I just do not get all the discussion and praise. It's awful IMO. The whole thing seems blatantly staged and scripted (and I don't just mean the parts that are supposed to be, I mean the people they're supposed to be helping are also actors), so I'm really struggling to understand what's entertaining about it. Someone help me out with what I'm missing.
I barely made it through the first episode - no more for me.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Figure we need a place for general movie/TV talk. Let’s use this this thread for stuff we’re watching, recommending, want to watch, new trailers, etc.

I’ll start - The Mandalorian spin off ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ looks pretty cool…

Black Phone is pretty good.

Nittany.Lion

Oct 6, 2021
Two excellent shows on Apple TV+

Black Bird - Law enforcement transfers a drug dealer at the start of a ten-year sentence from one prison to another prison with the worse of the worst for a population. In exchange for his freedom, he was to gather evidence to keep a killer, who is up for appeal, in prison. Based on a true story.
For All Mankind - Alternate NASA/space race history, starts with the Russians getting to the moon first.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
House of the Dragon continues to impress. Defnitely my favorite show on right now. Just finished Squid Game - there's a lot more to it than I thought; it's a mix of David Fincher's 'The Game', Willy Wonka, and Japanese Cult Classic 'Battle Royale'. Takes a while to reveal itself, but worth it. Also, Rick and Morty is back! Yes!

rick and morty middle finger GIF

PSUQbKeeper

Oct 12, 2021
I did not go back and search through the entire thread but has anyone else watched Mr Inbetween? Aussie show about a hit man, dark comedy mostly.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Two excellent shows on Apple TV+

Black Bird - Law enforcement transfers a drug dealer at the start of a ten-year sentence from one prison to another prison with the worse of the worst for a population. In exchange for his freedom, he was to gather evidence to keep a killer, who is up for appeal, in prison. Based on a true story.
For All Mankind - Alternate NASA/space race history, starts with the Russians getting to the moon first.
Enjoyed Black Bird a great deal.

Just finished Under the Banner of Heaven -- thought there was some cleverness there for the lead detective and the story keeps you engaged because it flips back into history and then to the present crime but man if I were Mormon, I would not be happy.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Anyone start watching American Gigolo on Showtime, starring Jon Bernthal? Just watched the pilot tonight and it’s well done with an interesting plot.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Couple of shows on my radar - we've been watching/enjoying Season 2 of HBO's 'Industry' (about young financial services professionals who do drugs, have sex, broker deals, etc. at a high end London based firm) and I see S2 (and apparent final season) of Kevin Can F*ck Himself is back with the super lovely Annie Murphy - hope she lands something else soon; my favorite character in Schitt's Creek. Also watched seasons 2 of The Flight Attendant (meh) and Only Murders in the Building (awesome!).

Flag GIFs | Tenor

I thought you learned the error of your ways with your Amber Midthunder post? 15-yard PF (and no, the GIF you posted of Annie doesn't meet the standard for avoiding a flag).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Atlanta returns tonight with a two episodes premiere for its fourth and final season. One of my favorite shows the past decade - outstanding cast and really great, creative writing. I think Glover got what he was going for…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Has anyone been watching Power of the Rings? I find it visually very impressive, but not all that exciting. It pales in comparison to House of the Dragon.

I've heard good things, but LOTR was never my wheelhouse - I much prefer the grittier GOT universe (and HOTD has surpassed expectations for me thus far!).

Reactions: JerseyLion

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I've heard good things, but LOTR was never my wheelhouse - I much prefer the grittier GOT universe (and HOTD has surpassed expectations for me thus far!).
I really liked the movies but was bored by the books. I read two, and that was enough.

I agree - the GOT universe is so much better.

WillyMO

Oct 28, 2021
Has anyone been watching Power of the Rings? I find it visually very impressive, but not all that exciting. It pales in comparison to House of the Dragon.
Visually stunning but man is it slow. And I don't really like any of the characters through 3 episodes. Also, l just hate when they add ridiculous things like the main character parkouring off swords and using her knife to climb a cliff when everyone else is using an ice pick.

Reactions: JerseyLion

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Another apocalyptic show, meh.

I enjoyed the PS game and HBO hits more than it misses. I'll check it out.

As an aside, how is everyone liking HOTD? I do wish we had more time with the characters before last episode's ten year time jump; I heard a TON happened that would have been awesome to see (such as Daemon's efforts to marry Laena). That said, the first five episodes essentially serve as a prologue for what's to come. I like all the new actors - especially Emma D'arcy as Rhaenyra, and the story is really well done and compelling, but unlike GoT, I don't have anyone to really root for. Everyone is selfish for the most part and/or evil, and we don't have our version of Jon Snow or the Stark's or even Daenerys here. It seems like Rhaenyra is the only suitable character worth cheering for but even she is obsessed with her ascension to the Iron Throne (but unlike Daenerys, we don't know to what end). I guess with enough time, maybe we'll come to sort of like everyone in the same way GoT made even Cersei sympathetic (at times). Still, loving the show and that they're opening up some of the dragon lore - really, really good stuff. Also, poor Viserys. Give that dude a win.

Last edited:

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

As an aside, how is everyone liking HOTD? I do wish we had more time with the characters before last episode's ten year time jump; I heard a TON happened that would have been awesome to see (such as Daemon's efforts to marry Laena). That said, the first five episodes essentially serve as a prologue for what's to come. I like all the new actors - especially Emma D'arcy as Rhaenyra, and the story is really well done and compelling, but unlike GoT, I don't have anyone to really root for. Everyone is selfish for the most part and/or evil, and we don't have our version of Jon Snow or the Stark's or even Daenerys here. It seems like Rhaenyra is the only suitable character worth cheering for but even she is obsessed with her ascension to the Iron Throne (but unlike Daenerys, we don't know to what end). I guess with enough time, maybe we'll come to sort of like everyone in the same way GoT made even Cersei sympathetic (at times). Still, loving the show and that they're opening up some of the dragon lore - really, really good stuff. Also, poor Viserys. Give that dude a win.

Right there with you on House of Dragon, love the show, time jumps are jarring, why isn’t there anyone you want to win the throne.
I wish they’d have done an entire season of the early actors. I understand they wanted to get to the more interesting part, but a mid season break for the 4 year jump, and a between season break for the 10 year jump would’ve easier to take. There were also a lot of stories and characters that could’ve been fleshed out more (see the multiple characters it felt like we just really met last episode who also met their end that episode). You can’t get the red wedding type reactions the original earned if you only got to know the person that episode. Then it almost feels annoying.

Only reason I’m glad they did this 10 year jump now is that the show was feeling a bit cramped. Part of what made GOT great was the differing storylines happening in all these different parts of the world you got to go visit intermittently. House of Dragon needed to spread out.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Imagine a world where you didn't have to watch every show/movie under the supervision of your wife. It's quite amazing, I tell you.
I don’t get it. Obviously kidding but if you think I have a problem one poster on here is supposed to wear 'his' Ohio state shirt with his OSU buddies and his wife. No f'in way. Get new friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

I was loving it ... until the time jump. I knew it was coming, but when it actually happened, I was still taken aback. It's like it's a different show, in some respects. Part of it is simply the "the role of so-and-so will now be played by" where you just need to forget about the earlier actor's portrayal of the character and now get used to a new version ... but now you add on a time jump, where you wondering how they got from A to B, and it just kind of was an unsettling, unenjoyable episode for me. It hit me different than movies that take place in different time periods, with the same characters.

Unlike the other poster, I like that this series isn't all gummed up with 50 different houses I couldn't keep track of, unlike GoT ... they introduce someone you think will be important, and then they aren't seen again for a long time .. and then they die.

I'm also happy that the characters are a bit more complex than in GoT. It's easy to root for "the hero," but life really isn't that easy. From different perspectives, "the hero" looks flawed, and you have to chose if you're rooting for or against them based on some deeper aligned morality, and I'm glad they're exploring that complexity.

Overall, it's good to finally have a series that I can't wait to see the following week. It's not perfect, at all, but it's engaging television.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Do Not, at the risk of both physical and mental illness, watch the absolutely horrid Rob Zombie disaster, The Munsters (Netflix) I had a morbid curiosity after reading prior reviews and tolerated about 5 mins and wowee, what dreck. It amazes me that directors get funding for such crap!

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Do Not, at the risk of both physical and mental illness, watch the absolutely horrid Rob Zombie disaster, The Munsters (Netflix) I had a morbid curiosity after reading prior reviews and tolerated about 5 mins and wowee, what dreck. It amazes me that directors get funding for such crap!
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to give that a look.
I do like the trailers I've seen for Wednesday Adams on Netflix. But it is a Tim Burton movie and his last few have been pretty bad so we'll see.
In other Netflix news. The Dahmer series is freaking creepy.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Andor on Disney is excellent. Precedes Rogue One and tells the background of Cassian Andor, rebel fighter. A serious Star Wars saga. 4 of 12 episodes available now. Diego Luna excellent in the lead role. Makes the Obi Wan series look like a cartoon.

Last edited:

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
Andor on Disney is excellent. Precedes Rogue One and tells the background of Cassian Andor, rebel fighter. A serious Atar Wars saga. 4 of 12 episodes available now. Diego Luna excellent in the lead role. Makes the Obi Wan series look like a cartoon.
Was Cassian Andor in other Star Wars movies?

I'm enjoying this show as well.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I was loving it ... until the time jump. I knew it was coming, but when it actually happened, I was still taken aback. It's like it's a different show, in some respects. Part of it is simply the "the role of so-and-so will now be played by" where you just need to forget about the earlier actor's portrayal of the character and now get used to a new version ... but now you add on a time jump, where you wondering how they got from A to B, and it just kind of was an unsettling, unenjoyable episode for me. It hit me different than movies that take place in different time periods, with the same characters.

Unlike the other poster, I like that this series isn't all gummed up with 50 different houses I couldn't keep track of, unlike GoT ... they introduce someone you think will be important, and then they aren't seen again for a long time .. and then they die.

I'm also happy that the characters are a bit more complex than in GoT. It's easy to root for "the hero," but life really isn't that easy. From different perspectives, "the hero" looks flawed, and you have to chose if you're rooting for or against them based on some deeper aligned morality, and I'm glad they're exploring that complexity.

Overall, it's good to finally have a series that I can't wait to see the following week. It's not perfect, at all, but it's engaging television.
I'm with you. I actually wasn't aware of the time jump. I recorded several episodes, and it had been a couple weeks since I watched the last one. I start the "time jump" episode and immediately say to myself "I obviously missed recording an episode.... who is this pregnant woman that seems to be important". Only after going to DirecTV online did I realize... nope, didn't miss an episode.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Little back story. I have 3 kids under 5. I never have a chance to watch TV. Don’t have cable. However I got some free-space a few weeks ago after everyone went to bed and I have an IPTV service that has series on it. Started with Yellowstone and loved it. Watched letterkenny and Ted lasso and loved them. Then I started watching 1883. I’m sure this opinion is late to the party but holy crap this is a great series so far. Watching episode 6 and I’m struck by how powerful of a performance Sam Elliot gives so far in the series. Holy crap this is a good series….. and casting tim McGraw and faith hill was a great call. Their chemistry is great.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
So I watched Blonde last night. It was certainly entertaining on one level but overall, I can't say it's a good movie. I have no idea how much of what was portrayed was accurate or totally made-up. While Ana de Armas did a good job as Norma Jean, the movie was really disjointed and I found the overly artistic techniques rather affected.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I started watching Party Down on Starz with Adam Scott and Lizzie Caplan. Some of the episodes have Jane Lynch who is absolutely hysterical. I was surprised to see that it made Rolling Stone's current top 100 shows of all time list, and that new episodes will air next year. I don't know if I would put it among the top 100 ever, but it is definitely worth watching. There are also a lot of great cameos.