Penn State - Ohio State Dual Thread

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Nagao has lost to current 1, 3, and 12 ranked wrestlers. Calm down guys. He'll be fine.

Reactions: WV lion

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Some of our guys are wrestling tight. OSU came to wrestle. It’s about time for us to be at our best.
They are wrestling tired. You don't win March by taking your foot off the gas for OSU on the second day of February.

Reactions: ScottHHHH

gimb14

May 3, 2022
They are wrestling tired. You don't win March by taking your foot off the gas for OSU on the second day of February.
Yes, you do. You work hard now and fix things so you're ready come March. There's a reason we do so well every year at NCAA's. Cael doesn't care about meets and BIGs as much as everyone else

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Nagao has lost to current 1, 3, and 12 ranked wrestlers. Calm down guys. He'll be fine.
He beat himself at Michigan also. Just an unfortunate roll while being aggressive.

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
aren’t the rules that you have to work to turn on top? All that riding and he didn’t make one legit effort to turn mesenbrink in my eyes.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165: #7 Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #20 Bryce Hepner (BH)

Per 1
Mesenbrink in quickly on a head outside single, they scramble, and a stoppage for PD on the knee, with 2:20 left. Mesenbrink in on a head outside single, BH with a roll but Mesenbrink gets the TD, 3-0. Mesenbrink working an arm bar, but as he turns him BH slips out, and he's to his feet for an esc, 3-1. Mesenbrink reaches. He reaches again and gets a double fro a TD, 6-1. He's working a crossface, then he keeps changing things, but he can't tilt him. End. RT @ 1:47 for Mesenbrink. Hmm, score is 6-2 -- not sure what I missed.

Per 2
Mesenbrink takes bottom. BH throws in the boots, and Mesenbrink works to a 4-pt stance, then to back down. Stalemate with 1:16 left. BH with a boot in quickly on the restart, Mesenbrink works up, BH trying to lock a cradle, and a stalemate with 48 sec left. Mesenbrink grabs a leg, then spins around, and gets the reversal, 8-2. BH is quickly flattened. And that's pretty much how he stayed for 20 sec. End. RT @ 59 sec for Mesenbrink.

Per 3
Bh takes top. He goes to throw in the boots, but Mesenbrink grabs one leg. He loses the leg, and gets flattened. Mesenbrink grabs the other foot, and tries to throw BH over, but BH stays back. Mesenbrink nearly turns over and then he gets the reversal, 10-2. Then BH with a quick reversal, 10-4. BH tries to lock a cradle, but he can't moe Mesenbrink. End. It's a 10-4 DEC for Mesenbrink

16-3, PSU

Reactions: hohmadw1978

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
OSU has done a fairly good job of stalling where they're overmatched and going hard where they thought they had a chance. This is closer than I anticipated which is good headed into Iowa.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
174: #1 Carter Starocci vs. #11 Rocco Welsh (RW)

Per 1
They are both active off the whistle, but nothing. RW sort of shoots, nothing. CStar with a head outside single, he works behind for the TD, and takes RW to the mat, 3-0, and OOB with 1:52 left. RW sits out, then works up, and he's out with 1:40 left, 3-1. Stoppage with 1:12 left for interlocking hands. Stall warning on RW with @ 12 sec left. End. RT @ 0:21 for CStar

Per 2
RW takes bottom. He sits out, then back, CStar stays with him. RW to his feet and he's out with 1:35 left, 3-2. RT @ 45 sec for CStar. CStar shoots a single, but blocked. CStar is mulling RW around the mat, but not getting anything. They are on the edge, now back to center. RW isn't doing anything. CStar sort of shoots, nothing. End. RT @ 45 sec for CStar

Per 3
CStar takes bottom. Cstar works up, and he's out in @ 7 sec, 4-2. 1 min left. TW sort of reaches, nothing. He reaches again, nothing. 30 sec left. CStar reaches, nothing. OOB with 14 sec left. Stall warning on CStar. End 4-2 DEC for CStar

19-3, PSU

gimb14

May 3, 2022
OSU has done a fairly good job of stalling where they're overmatched and going hard where they thought they had a chance. This is closer than I anticipated which is good headed into Iowa.
Almost exactly where I had it in what will be a blowout. Just how the matchups fell

Reactions: LionsAndBears

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Agree. We been wrestling tired or tight for a few weeks. Not all our guys but a few should be better. Hopefully Cael and Staff figure things out. I’m confident they will.

Reactions: ElDuce

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
Agree. We been wrestling tired or tight for a few weeks. Not all our guys but a few should be better. Hopefully Cael and Staff figure things out. I’m confident they will.
Agreed, especially the 2 freshman, Kasak and Davis

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: #5 Bernie Truax vs. Ryder Rogotzke (RR)

Per 1
Both guys active off the whistle. Truax with a low single but RR kicks free. Stalemate (I think) at 2:38. Truax with a head inside single, slips behind and gets the TD, 3-0. RR quickly to his feet and gets the esc, 3-1. Stoppage @ 1:50 for ?? (possible PD). Truax with a head inside single, trips RR down but he does a split and then Truax gets the TD, 6-1. They are on the edge, and OOB with 1:03 left. RR sits out, and he's out, 6-2 with just under 1 min left. Not much happening. End RT @ 32 sec for Truax.

Per 2
Truax defers so RR takes bottom. RR to his feet and he's out, 6-3. Turax in on a single, and gets behind, 9-3. RR is out, 9-4. RR with a reach over throw and gets the pin @ 3:59. Wow, I didn't see that coming.

19-9, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
#1 Aaron Brooks vs. #22 Luke Geog (LG)

Per 1
AB working underhooks, but LG working off the mat, as they go OOB with 2:11 left. AB pulls down on the underhook, and then spins behind for the TD, 3-0. He cuts him, 3-1. AB is active, now working from a front headlock, and spins around for the tD, 6-1. They are on the edge, and OOB with 24 sec left. LG sits out, AB stays with him, then flattens LG out. End. RT @ 59 sec for AB

Per 2
LG takes bottom. AB cuts him, 6-2. RT @ 1:12 for AB. AB reaches, nothing. LG shots, blocked and AB spins behind, 9-2. He cuts LG, 9-3. OOB with 1:06 left. LG in on a single, AB stuffs the head and spins behind for the TD, 12-3. He comes out in front and basically cuts him, 12-4. AB reaches, nothing. End. RT @ 1:33 for AB

Per 3
AB takes bottom. AB works up and he's out in @ 5 sec, 13-4. AB in on a low single but it's stopped for PD on the knee with 1:45 left. LG is a little gimpy on the knee. AB reaches, nothing. He spins behind and gets the TD, 16-4. Then he cuts him, 16-5. LG sort of shoots, AB stuffs him, and spins behind, 19-5. AB cuts him, 19-6. AB working an underhook, then releases and goes from a single to a double for the TD, 22-6, and that's a TF @ 6:21

24-9, PSU

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Feels like at iowa. Ref counts us down, calls us for stalling and nada for osu.

Reactions: ElDuce

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I don't think anyone is worried. Surprised in a couple of matches but not worried. I think we'll be stronger after the lessons we learned tonight.
I dunno. The tone (as best that can be seen on a message board) is worried about Nagao especially, but also Truax and Bartlett some. Even with the losses tonight, I still got 10 AAs and I wasn't saying that preseason. It's just our tough part of the season.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Bernie definitely needs to make a few adjustments. Including elbows in and protecting legs against better guys. That guy loses or pins you. Just gotta be smart. He gets himself in those positions. Gotta get an attitude and he’ll be alright. Love to see more attitude from both our transfers at 33 and 84. Will see here soon. Big Tens are right around the corner.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I dunno. The tone (as best that can be seen on a message board) is worried about Nagao especially, but also Truax and Bartlett some. Even with the losses tonight, I still got 10 AAs and I wasn't saying that preseason. It's just our tough part of the season.

Truax is fine. He's better than that. He just had a lapse and credit to the OSU kid, he took advantage. Nagao got a little exposed IMO. Bartlett always worries me. He's so defensive without enough offense IMO. I don't think that style will get him through the big tournament unscathed.

Reactions: gslachta

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285: #1 Kerk vs. #12 Nick Feldman (NF)

244.4 vs. 233.2

Per 1
Not much thru 1st minute. Kerk in on a single to a double, 3-0. Feldman is flattened. Kerk seems to be working a tight waist. Stall warning on NF. Kerk hit with a stall warning. End. RT @ ?? for Kerk

Per 2
Kerk takes bottom. He hits a shoulder roll and is out in 5 sec, 4-0. Kerk with a double to single, back to a double for the TD, 7-0. NF is flattened once again. He works to his knees, and is flattened again. End. RT @ 2:30 for Kerk

Per 3
NF takes neutral. NF sort of shoots, nothing. Kerk shoots a single and trips NF to the mat for the td, 10-0. FN is flat again. RT is locked. Stall call on NF makes it 11-0. NF works to his knees, then to his feet, and tripped back down and flattened. End. With 3:46 in RT, it'a a 12-0 MAJ for Kerk

28-9, PSU