RaRa in Portal

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I said this in another thread...

The one thing about this offense that doesn't bother me in this current state is wide receivers. The way the offense is ran with Will as QB - good or bad - you don't know need elite WR so to me it's next man up.

I disagree… having mediocre receivers is part of the reason the offense is mediocre, along with a mediocre QB. Not saying rara was the next Michael Crabtree in this offense but he was clearly the best receiver we had.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It hurts us bad not in the sense of losing a WR (we have plenty) as much as it is going to likely help a conference rival. RaRa was without question the best WR on the team though, and I’d much rather him play for us than against us. Leach’s offense is rarely ever going to have even elite WR’s get more than 600-700 yards because he uses so many, but RaRa is good enough to potentially have a 1000 yard season in the right landing spot where he is more of an alpha.
Actually, Leach said if someone wants to lock down a position at WR then they need to demonstrate their ability at practice and nobody did this year. One did last year.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We didn't miss Heath. We didn't miss Polk.

Wait... what? You don't think we missed a guy who had over 100 receptions and 1000 yard in 2021? We threw for ~1000 fewer yards and lower completion %. Average total yardage per game was down 50 yards.

I can agree on Heath. But Polk would have been our #1 WR if he had come back.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, if you listen to Leach talk about it ya sorta get the idea that he isn't very satisfied with the effort the receivers are putting in. Not sure if he thinks they don't run precise routes or if they just don't give 100% effort every play. But he has a stable full. I would think he could find some consistency. Heath did not do much here but had a good year at OM. I don't know if Will just isn't finding the open guy or they just can't get open.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
Seeing rumors he's going to the other bulldog team in the SEC. Can't blame him, they've got deep pockets.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Yeah, if you listen to Leach talk about it ya sorta get the idea that he isn't very satisfied with the effort the receivers are putting in. Not sure if he thinks they don't run precise routes or if they just don't give 100% effort every play. But he has a stable full. I would think he could find some consistency. Heath did not do much here but had a good year at OM. I don't know if Will just isn't finding the open guy or they just can't get open.
Some of them don’t. Rara was one, but still our best. So many times you would see him or Ducking jogging. But, in their defense (it’s a super weak one), it was a check down to a back or 4 yard route.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Some of them don’t. Rara was one, but still our best. So many times you would see him or Ducking jogging. But, in their defense (it’s a super weak one), it was a check down to a back or 4 yard route.
If they don't sell the route the defense can tell. Leach probly figures instead of a three yard play it might been 20 if he took defenders with him on the clear out. Which is true

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That the portal frenzy starts on DEC 5 and the bowl game doesn’t…
This was a discussed on ESPNU radio on Wednesday l. Lot of coaches want a new dead period until portal is done or open portal year around because they say it's tough to recruit when you don't know how many will leave in portal yet.
Idk though, dead period sec used to be when all the recruiting really happened. I guess now that it's legal to pay players don't have to be sneaky about it anymore

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This was a discussed on ESPNU radio on Wednesday l. Lot of coaches want a new dead period until portal is done or open portal year around because they say it's tough to recruit when you don't know how many will leave in portal yet.
Idk though, dead period sec used to be when all the recruiting really happened. I guess now that it's legal to pay players don't have to be sneaky about it anymore
Mr sunshine say we don't need receivers. We got guys on intramural field just as good that leach can turn into a star

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
This will happen more and more often in College athletics now, where many schools with less NIL money will become a little like "Athletic Jr. Colleges" where players go to try to establish a reputation, then opt out their Jr. year for the money available at rich schools. I understand they have rights and shouldn't be stopped from shopping for a better paying job for their last two or three years of eligability.

Maybe the NCAA should form several leagues based on the dollar value of NIL payout spent to purchase the team's players, and set up several national championships, based on how much money you spent buying a team, or some such foolishness.

Oh well, the evolution of college sports seems to go more and more toward the establishment of another level of professonal sports. The final outcome? NILs for t-ball teams and Pop Warner leagues.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We need to be in portal next week picking up guys show guys that they are replaceable if they don't want to be here then leave. If they getting a better elsewhere we will find someone better to replace them with

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
There is no defense for that. It's part of spreading a defense and then blocking.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Ummmmmm…
Heath was far from our best receiver…
Agreed, Heath had some moments but overall he didn't come close to his ceiling. He had a much better year at Ole Miss this year. But even in the Egg Bowl he had an egregious drop.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
RaRa won't get as many passes at UGA. But he'll put up more yards and scores because of our antique offense.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We just offered a WR transferring out of TAMU. He's a grad T. Chase Lane

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Why don't these kids wait until after the bowl to announce such things? What am I missing?
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak
\

NIL

I told you guys that this one new aspect of college football is going to change the entire landscape hang on because it's gonna be a bumpy ride. I still don't think he, who has the most money, is automatically going to win at this thing. I'm just basing this on the fact that I and almost everyone I have known have spent ridiculous amounts of money in some foolish places before to watch it sadly waste away.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They are.
All it takes is one thing happening for this crowd to act like the 17ing entire team is going to die a horrible death. Don't worry about it; they will find something new to cry about and predict our impending implosion tomorrow, actually, probably by this afternoon.

Seriously RaRa was a good player for us and has a solid future but I think we have a few more players on our roster that might step into that role by next season. It's just December. Maybe... someone in the portal or in our signing class wants that spot.

I was much more worried about Tulu. It's hard to find and you cannot coach what he has and he is one guy who can turn the game on it's ear all by himself with just his feet and I don't know anyone else on this team who can do that. It's hard to find players like RaRa as well, but I think we're gonna be much happier knowing that Tulu is coming back than missing a good wide receiver.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
All it takes is one thing happening for this crowd to act like the 17ing entire team is going to die a horrible death. Don't worry about it; they will find something new to cry about and predict our impending implosion tomorrow, actually, probably by this afternoon.

Seriously RaRa was a good player for us and has a solid future but I think we have a few more players on our roster that might step into that role by next season. It's just December. Maybe... someone in the portal or in our signing class wants that spot.

I was much more worried about Tulu. It's hard to find and you cannot coach what he has and he is one guy who can turn the game on it's ear all by himself with just his feet and I don't know anyone else on this team who can do that. It's hard to find players like RaRa as well, but I think we're gonna be much happier knowing that Tulu is coming back than missing a good wide receiver.
Truth!

We have some bigger guys now that will make an impact. Robinson and Harmon are 6'4ish. You saw what Ducking could do at that height in this system. These 2 are going to be great for us.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Ducking should have done much more than he did. A 6'5" receiver is always open. No way a 5'11" corner can cover him. Or a 6' safety. Throw it high and let the big man get it. If I had to pick of course I would prefer to keep Tulu over Rara.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Ducking should have done much more than he did. A 6'5" receiver is always open. No way a 5'11" corner can cover him. Or a 6' safety. Throw it high and let the big man get it. If I had to pick of course I would prefer to keep Tulu over Rara.
Ducking was generally worthless except for 15-25 yards from the end zone. Seriously, he did nothing else well. Also, sucked at blocking.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Props to you guys calmly rationalizing this but this crap is going to get really old really quick. And not just at State
Yep. I've moved closer and closer to giving up college football. I've already dropped YT TV. No sports packages other than what I get free.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Umm, what happened to that thread about "Leach and staff doing work?"
How do you know that Rara leaving isn't part of that work? Maybe Rara wasn't happy and one of the coaches said, "Get to steppin'!" We don't know the story behind what went on here. Every program in the country is going to have transfers. Leach rotates a lot of players and those that want all the plays may end up leaving. The nice thing about the system is someone will get their reps.