USC & UCLA to B1G by 2024; conferences react; TV contracts thread

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Nothing really shocking about that. The process will take up to 4 months and could end up back in court if the 2 sides don’t come to an agreement. A few interesting nuggets from the article-

-The article states FSU could potentially be heading to the Big Ten. Interesting it doesn’t say Big Ten or SEC. Given ESPN’s behind the scenes efforts to reorganize conferences, just thought that was an interesting omission.

- The ACC is fighting to keep its contract with ESPN secret. FSU wants open transparency on the details with the documents unsealed.

-No mention of how Clemson would fit into all of this with their recent lawsuit in South Carolina against the ACC. Could there be competing judges with different rulings?

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021

Interesting having Richmond in the Patriot League as a full member now. Has any of these AD's even consider with expansion of the "lower tier" leagues, the greater cost of travel expenses for these schools which doesn't have huge budgets to start with. That's a long bus ride from Colgate to Richmond, even if you use I-95. "apologies to Travis Tritt"....

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Interesting having Richmond in the Patriot League as a full member now. Has any of these AD's even consider with expansion of the "lower tier" leagues, the greater cost of travel expenses for these schools which doesn't have huge budgets to start with. That's a long bus ride from Colgate to Richmond, even if you use I-95. "apologies to Travis Tritt"....
Interesting to see these schools organizing along new lines. I am looking to an alternative to the minor league football that will be offered in the B1G. I want to learn more about what the schools outside of FBS, if that is still a thing, will be doing.

I remember how much fun it was to go to a college football game back in the 1960s. The game of course was the centerpiece, but with the bands and cheerleaders and students there was an energy that was so much fun. That is dead now.

I plan to take in a game at Millersville, F&M or Shippensburg to see if any of the things I once loved about the sport remain.

Last edited:

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021

Interesting to see these schools organizing along new lines. I am looking to an alternative to the minor league football that will be offered in the B1G. I want to learn more about what the schools outside of FBS, if that is still a thing, will be doing.

I remember how much fun it was to go to a college football game back in the 1960s. The game of course was the centerpiece, but with the bands and cheerleaders and students there was an energy that was so much fun. That is dead now.

I plan to take in a game at Millersville, F&M or Shippensburg to see if any of the things I once loved about the sport remain.
Dave, Ivy League might be an alternative to consider on several levels.

Reactions: GrimReaper

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Wonder how much more the Big10 money number will increase with USC, Oregon and others adding to the bottom line. Rutgers will become the "Financial King of the Mediocre" without breaking a sweat.
Who cares about $? Really. WGAF?

If I want to cheer about finances I’ll read the Wall Street Journal.

“Things are out of whack.” A great Penn State icon had it right. It used to be college football, not NFL lite.

BTW, what will PSU have to put up as their share of that $2billion plus settlement I heard about on the news this morning? Then there is the projected $700 million in principal plus interest on the stadium coming up. The players will be directly paid in the near future as well. Funny how projected fortunes find a way to disappear.

Soon we will likely see dozens of schools eliminated from “College” football when the B1G and SEC have achieved the creation of their two super leagues. What happens to Pitt, GA Tech, Syracuse, VA Tech, SMU, Stanford, Cal, Kansas State, BYU and their fans then? Are we really better for it if it happens?

The Penn State brain trust seems to operate under the assumption that the money is never going to disappear. Funny, the ACC schools had that belief when they signed their last tv contract. **** happens.

Why worry? Penn State has that leadership team to navigate through all this. When have they ever cost us hundreds of millions? Oh, other than a decade ago, but let’s ignore that.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Who cares about $? Really. WGAF?

If I want to cheer about finances I’ll read the Wall Street Journal.

“Things are out of whack.” A great Penn State icon had it right. It used to be college football, not NFL lite.

BTW, what will PSU have to put up as their share of that $2billion plus settlement I heard about on the news this morning? Then there is the $700 million in principal and interest on the stadium. The players will be directly paid soon soon as well. Funny how projected fortunes find a way to disappear.

Soon we will likely see dozens of schools eliminated from “College” football when the B1G and SEC have achieved the creation of their two super leagues. What happens to Pitt, GA Tech, Syracuse, VA Tech, SMU, Stanford, Cal, Kansas State, BYU and their fans then? Are we really better for it if it happens?

The Penn State brain trust seems to operate under the assumption that the money is never going to disappear. Funny, the ACC schools had that belief when they signed their last tv contract. **** happens.
If my reading is correct, nothing upfront. What will happen over the 10 year (I believe that is the number) during which the $2+bn is paid out is that the NCAA will slash its distribution (from the media rights deal for March Madness) to member schools. For the last reporting year, PSU received nearly $5mm.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
If my reading is correct, nothing upfront. What will happen over the 10 year (I believe that is the number) during which the $2+bn is paid out is that the NCAA will slash its distribution (from the media rights deal for March Madness) to member schools. For the last reporting year, PSU received nearly $5mm.
From Fortune - “Schools in the Big Ten, Big 12, Atlantic Coast and Southeastern conferences will end up bearing the brunt of the settlement at a cost of about $300 million each over 10 years, the majority of which will be paid to athletes going forward.”

Ouch!

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

Neither conference is in an ideal spot. I think there’s room for one going forward. The pickle is which one?

If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC, then things get dicey. This really starts to become a zero-sum game with periodic conference shifts but little meaning outside of the B1G and SEC.