Username origins......per Meoff's request!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHooch

Feb 25, 2008
basically my nickname/alter-ego. Been using it for years. Sorry no great story here.

DawgNsuds

Jun 4, 2007
There used to bea chain of restaurants in the Jackson area called Dog& Suds with a 50's type motif that served hot dogs and root beer. Iplayed off of that as aState and Beer fan to fit DawgNsuds</p>

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Been rooting for the Dawgs since the 60's or so, just to get under my Dads skin (UM grad) and buying season football tickets since the Felker era. All that pretty much explains the madman part. My therapist says with proper medication and intensive therapy I might get better. I'm still waiting.

</p>

retread44

Sep 17, 2010
vh dawg said:
Yeah, right...

When I was a sophomore in college, and on my 3rd year as an aspiring guitar player, I bought a guitar magazine with a cover that looked like this:

I was a Metallica and G'n'R fan for the most part, but there was a transcription in there for a song called Eruption by Van Halen, which I don't believe I'd ever heard before (because at the time, the mighty Z106 wasn't huge on playing Dave-era VH). Just from the transcription alone, it looked amazing, so I rode over to the Little Big Store in Raymond and bought a used cassette of the first Van Halen album.

This changed my life.

I probably listened to that album 20 times in the next two days, and within two weeks, I owned every Van Halen album to date, and had started collecting any guitar magazine I could find talking about VH, and started trying to learn how this fleet-fingered man created the sounds that he somehow makes come out of a guitar.

Right about the same time, the internet was coming to life, and one day I used one of those AOL CD's and figured out how to create an account. Trying to think of a user name, I somehow landed on VHFreak (which I still have, by the way).

A few years go by, and during the glorious fall of 1999, I somehow came across Genespage, and seeing that nearly everyone posting there had -dawg or -dog as part of their username, I broke with tradition and went with "vh dawg".

It was probably only a couple of years later, during the first Sherrill meltdowns, that someone first cleverly accused me of being "Vaught Hemingway" Dog, and a closet rebel.

And I laughed, and laughed, and laughed. And somehow landed here, which ultimately was probably nearly as life-changing as the day I bought that May 1995 issue of Guitar World.

Oct 3, 2008
...especially during the Croom error and the football beat downs we experienced in the 70's and 80's. I have to tell myself over and over again that Dan Mullen is not part of the losing tradition at State and to not automatically default to this saying during the football season.

dawgnautique

Mar 3, 2008
Anyone familiar with competition water skiing/boats knows what my name references....for all others, see the attached pic. Nothing creative...references my second passion behind MSU. That's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.