Username origins......per Meoff's request!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Center Z

Sep 4, 2006
I was reading sixpack while I was working (imagine that), when I saw a thread that I had to comment on. So I went to register and minimized my CAD window, but I could still see the command line, which read "Center X Center Y Center Z". It was the last thing I saw before I was prompted for a username.

CullyCobb

Mar 4, 2008
I don't post much, but read the board often. My favorite username is Ptolemy, after our first English Bulldog mascot, but someone already had that name. I started to go with Theo, but I'm not dyslexic. I am an ag guy--B.S. in 1985, Ph.D. in 1991 and professor at MSU. I picked Cully Cobb because he is probably our most outstanding ag graduate.

From wikipedia:
Cully Alton Cobb, Sr. (February 25, 1884–May 7, 1975),[1] was an agricultural pioneer, educator, printer, journalist, and philanthropist in the American South who with his second wife, Lois Dowdle Cobb (August 1, 1889–August 9, 1987),[1] co-founded the Cobb Institute of Archaeology on the campus of Mississippi State University at Starkville, Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cully_Cobb

bullysleftnut

May 23, 2006
so I got pissed off and typed in my current name.

7 (7! Holy crap!) years later, here I am.

It's really embarrassing whenever my wife notices my user name, but 17 it - I'm not changing it now.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
I actually lived in the Memphis city limits but memphisdawg was taken. However, my cove backed up to the Germantown city limits so I went to plan B and used gtowndawg.

Funny thing is I've never lived in Germantown. I moved to Lakeland (Memphis suburb) 8 years ago but I didn't have the heart to change my name then.

jbone.sixpack

Aug 8, 2010
jbone is from wedding crashers. when chaz(will ferrell) says "jbone...hows my protege?" my first name starts with j so i just went with it.

dashriprock

Dec 14, 2008
since i am no longer in the golf course/real estate development business, my poor golf game has gotten worse. Upon reflection, it may have been your poor GC Superintendent skills that doomed my golf game.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Actually, it is my email address I use on message boards.
I had recently moved to NOLA and during the WSP Jazzfest show in 99 I took about 1/2 a bottle too much of the "sweet breath".
Fishwater is a Panic song, I don't listen to them anymore since Mikey passed, he was Panic and Jimmy just sucks and sounds like the ABB.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Four train days
Get me back to New Orleans
Drink more fishwater there
Than any whale's mama ever seen
Alright tonight
I've been fueling my dreams eatin greens and beans
When I get back down there
I'm gonna drink more fish stew
Than all the big fishes do
</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">And I still want more
I still want more
More...
I still want more
</font></p>

http://www.everydaycompan...m/setlists/19990430a.asp

</p>

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Jose Brown was the name given to John Brown, a black baseball player in the movie "Long Gone", who was renamed and told to be from South America. He joined the Tampico Stoogies as a power hitting catcher, and was signed by player/manager Cecil "Stud" Cantrell of the minor league baseball team. Jose kept his promise of "tap dancing on home plate".

Stud Cantrell's rules:

1. 17 them if they can't take a joke.
2. All girls 17.
3. They only get pregnant if they want to.

Damn, I love that movie...

MaverickAG

Feb 8, 2005
Easy. I got my first AOL account when I was probably 12 years old. I was a big fan of Top Gun so naturally I went with that as my moniker. I stuck with it ever since, mostly out of laziness. Around high school I figured I should probably change it to something else. One day as I'm finishing up a trip on a charter boat I was working on, an older lady comes up to me and says that I reminded her of "a young Tom Cruise" and that I should give her a call if I didn't find a wife by the time I was 25. The other deckhand and I got a big laugh out of the sheer awkwardness of this 65 year old grandmother propositioning a 17 year old. After that, I figured I had to stick with the name because it was too funny after that moment. Also, although she never said which version she prefered, I'd rather be associated with this:

rather than this:

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I flew F-4 Phantoms for about 13 years. Logged 1,673 hours in the Phantom. Top Gun was a good movie but doing it for real is WAAAAAY more fun. My avatar at the left of this entry is a cartoon character invented by the folks at McDonnel-Douglas and his name is Phred Phantom. He has a "II" emblem on his chest because the F-4 Phantom was the second airplane that McDonnel-Douglas built that was know as the Phantom.

Side note:
I was #3 in the 4-ship Labor Day flyover at Scott Field that still gets talked about from time to time on the message boards.

quickdawg

May 22, 2007
Well, not really, but faster than your average Mississippi black bear anyway. I am type AAA, am a leadfoot, work on rather fast computers, and was cursed** to have to live up to all things quick.

**at this point in life it's much more fun than it is cursed, though.

UnknownDawg

Mar 3, 2008
I rarely post. From the beginning, I never knew exactly what I would post or respond to in the future & thus had no desire to be found out, hounded or stalked by an internet nutbag...thus I am simply an UnknownDawg

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
My one claim to semi-athletic glory - if you want to call it that - was accomplished playing weekend softball. One of the last teams I played on won the Mississippi ASA D Class state tourney one year. Bad part is, we really won in spite of me, not because.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
that line in Forest Gump where Forest says, "they call him Tex, I don't know rightly know why".

Status
Not open for further replies.