Was there any real reason not to choose Meridian over Starkville as the site for MSU?******

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This question reminds me of my post last year.

Here are a few snippets:

The Golden Triangle area just isn’t a great place to attract people.

The money is decent enough but there ain’t enough there.

Meridian is by far the cultural center of East Mississippi.

MSU should invest a lot more in Meridian.

Is it too late to do a Wake Forest?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Eh, I used to think Murderidian was the play, but I like Vicksburg better. It's farthest away from all SEC competitors, and a cooler river location.

Better shot at Target eventually, too (for the Louisiana shoppers, of course).

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Eh, I used to think Murderidian was the play, but I like Vicksburg better. It's farthest away from all SEC competitors, and a cooler river location.

Better shot at Target eventually, too (for the Louisiana shoppers, of course).

Alcorn would veto a Vicksburg move in a heartbeat considering they have a campus there:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Historically speaking Starkville has had the least amount of natural disaster in the State. As far as natural disaster goes it is the safest place to live in Miss. Nothing to do with the subject.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yes, there was a perfectly good reason. The problem is that there is no one left alive who was present when the decision was made thus no first hand knowledge.

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Have been told by MSU people,, with being an ag school, they studied that rain fall for the state,
and that area was most favorable for the situation. So that is my understanding why.
This was about 45 years ago.

Last edited:

desotodawg

Sep 16, 2010
Per this web site:https://www.university-grounds.com/home/mississippi-state-university

The board was most interested in locations in the so-called “Black Belt” area of central Mississippi, so named for its black soil which was crucial to cotton farming. By the board’s next meeting on December 13th, the potential sites had been narrowed to Meridian, Starkville, and West Point. In the end, Starkville was selected. In part, the decision was likely influenced by board member Colonel W.B. Montgomery who was from the town and who had influence in the state. Starkville was also the county seat (Oktibbeha County) and had both a rail and a telegraph line. The town, originally named Boardtown, was subsequently renamed for Revolutionary War veteran John Stark. The board purchased 390 acres of land owned by William Bell at a price of only $2,450 (roughly $70,438 in today’s value). By any standard, the price was a bargain.

edit to add: per wikipedia, meridian was in a bit of scandals and epidemic around that time too:
The growth during Reconstruction was set back when downtown was destroyed in a fire in 1871 during the Meridian race riot, related to freedmen's efforts to resist the Ku Klux Klan. Up to thirty black men were killed by a white mob.[20]

The city quickly recovered and defined an 1872 fire district requiring buildings to be constructed of brick. The remainder of the 1870s saw hard times for the city, including economic troubles during the Panic of 1873, and a yellow fever epidemic in 1878.[3] Yellow fever affected almost 500 residents, leaving at least 86 dead, which resulted in a quarantine in the city. Rail passengers entering the city were required to provide a health certificate certifying that they were free of the disease. Many of the fatalities from the riot and epidemic were buried in McLemore Cemetery.[21] Despite these early troubles, the town experienced an economic boom and entered a "Golden Age" around the start of the 20th century.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Get a copy of People's University. That's probably the definitive story.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Too many Alabama fans
If they would have put MSU in Meridian. Columbus would have even more Alabama fans, me being one of them.....

law and order crazy shit GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If they would have put MSU in Meridian. Columbus would have even more Alabama fans, me being one of them.....
Well, truth be known, I often wonder if all the GTR resources/infrastructure had gone to Tupelo, if MSU had been in Murderidian or anywhere else, would Tupelo be a little further along right now. Take the airport for instance, I have to think they split passengers being an hour away from each other. And what if all those areas that Joe Max recruited were consolidated with what Tupelo already has? Of course, I understand that if the Golden Triangle wasn't what it was, with MSU and all that, that it may not have the same success. But you get my drift.

Heck even the Air Force Base would have benefitted from being a little further from Meridian.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
With it being founded as an AG school in the later part of the 1800's, I would assume the location sitting on the edge of the blackbelt prairie had something to do with it. The blackbelt is just like a mini-delta region with fertile soil similar to the delta. At that time, Meridian was the main city in Mississippi but it sure has gone downhill since then. It's fair to say that any city in Mississippi that contains a large school like MSU would be totally different than what you see now.

Reactions: Maroon13

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Well, truth be known, I often wonder if all the GTR resources/infrastructure had gone to Tupelo, if MSU had been in Murderidian or anywhere else, would Tupelo be a little further along right now. Take the airport for instance, I have to think they split passengers being an hour away from each other. And what if all those areas that Joe Max recruited were consolidated with what Tupelo already has? Of course, I understand that if the Golden Triangle wasn't what it was, with MSU and all that, that it may not have the same success. But you get my drift.

Heck even the Air Force Base would have benefitted from being a little further from Meridian.
The Tupelo Airport does lose a few passengers to GTR, but it's REAL competition is Memphis. That's why it has never really been able to support non-subsidized service like GTR has. Back when Memphis was a hub for Northwest you could get non-stop mainline service to nearly anywhere Northwest went in the US, and some beyond. Tupelo just couldn't compete with that. That has carried over even though it's not a hub anymore. It's still bigger planes and more mainline service than Tupelo will ever have. The Memphis Airport is on the Tupelo side of town, and it's a real easy drive. The subsidized service out of Tupelo has never really been that reliable either. GTR used to have that problem too, but it seems much better the last few years.

Reactions: Palos verdes

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Tupelo Airport does lose a few passengers to GTR, but it's REAL competition is Memphis. That's why it has never really been able to support non-subsidized service like GTR has. Back when Memphis was a hub for Northwest you could get non-stop mainline service to nearly anywhere Northwest went in the US, and some beyond. Tupelo just couldn't compete with that. That has carried over even though it's not a hub anymore. It's still bigger planes and more mainline service than Tupelo will ever have. The Memphis Airport is on the Tupelo side of town, and it's a real easy drive. The subsidized service out of Tupelo has never really been that reliable either. GTR used to have that problem too, but it seems much better the last few years.
The best thing that happened for Memphis was Northwest/Delta dropping the hub. It created a lot more competition between the airlines and rates went down.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Starkville was also the county seat (Oktibbeha County) and had both a rail and a telegraph line.
It's so funny how so many things go back to the technology of the time being readily available in an area.

"Welp, Ol' Boardtown does have that telegraph line and it's only a 3 day train ride. Sorry, Meridian, we'll get you a community college in about 50-60 years. Next time, invest in cutting edge technology like telegraphs and railroads!"

Reactions: mstateglfr

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It's so funny how so many things go back to the technology of the time being readily available in an area.

"Welp, Ol' Boardtown does have that telegraph line and it's only a 3 day train ride. Sorry, Meridian, we'll get you a community college in about 50-60 years. Next time, invest in cutting edge technology like telegraphs and railroads!"
The way things are going in this world, that'll soon read:

"Welp, Ol' (WHEREVER) does have potable water and its only a three day walk...."*********************

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It was a smartass comment because they locked my thread about this same topic because (I am assuming) of @mstateglfr-typical thread ruination tactics. Thanks to @Mr. Cook for reviving the convo.

Don't read too far into things. Guess I could have added sarcs.
I didnt lock that thread. Maybe DCD locked it, I am not sure.

The thread was absurd- you posed a hypothetical, confidently claimed an assumed result would have occurred, and declared the result would have been a sure fix to something only loosely related.

Also, this good thread is not the same as your thread. Like not at all the same. Fundamentally different would be an appropriate term to use.

If you tag me in a post, I'll probably respond after the second mention because I am not lazy like Beetlejuice or Candyman.
But what would be better is if you don't mourn over your absurd hypothetical and move on.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The way things are going in this world, that'll soon read:

"Welp, Ol' (WHEREVER) does have potable water and its only a three day walk...."*********************
I do think sustainable water resources is going to be a thing sooner rather than later. I've already seen reports of neighborhood developments being stopped or abandoned because their planned water sources never materialized. That's been mostly in the Southwest, but I don't think Texas can sustain the level of growth it's seeing for much longer. Texas is very business friendly and that's great for the job market, but DFW went from being one of the most livable areas in the country to being a crowded mess, even in what used to be a little tucked away area like my Waxahachie.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I do think sustainable water resources is going to be a thing sooner rather than later. I've already seen reports of neighborhood developments being stopped or abandoned because their planned water sources never materialized. That's been mostly in the Southwest, but I don't think Texas can sustain the level of growth it's seeing for much longer. Texas is very business friendly and that's great for the job market, but DFW went from being one of the most livable areas in the country to being a crowded mess, even in what used to be a little tucked away area like my Waxahachie.
No question. Water resources are very much taken for granted on a global level.

And the pandemic showed us how strong our supply chains are in this country, too***************

anniversary celebrate GIF

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah GTR is the 3rd busiest airport in the state by passenger count and the area is growing rapidly with industry. There's something new being built all the time. Starkville has to benefit from that at some point.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's not, but MEM was too small for an airline hub post 9/11 industry consolidation. They're in great shape now with the number of airlines and low fares.
Interesting handle. I have in-laws that live in Rancho Palos Verdes.