What bowl for PSU, info and speculation thread

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
What I want: Rose Bowl, against the Washington Huskies.

What we'll likely get: Cotton Bowl against the Little Team that Could (and hopefully doesn't). What a lose-lose proposition for whichever Big 5 team gets this bowl berth.

so I think we want USC or TCU to lose (maybe both to lose) to get tOSU and Mich to the playoffs and bump us up to the Rose. But that would mean Rose Bowl against Utah.

Aquapong

Oct 14, 2021
So looking the new rankings, tOSU could sneak in the backdoor if USC or TCU lose. But currently they would likely go to the Rose. Bama and Tennessee to the Sugar/Orange. I still think that puts us in the Cotton Bowl against UCF or Tulane.

djmccaslin

Nov 1, 2021
There's talk that OSU is pushing for PSU to go to Pasadena.

We played Utah there last year, Washington there a few years ago. Worry about interest of OSU fans to go there.
I've lived in Pasadena for past 12 years and there have only been 2 occasions (not including the 2021 COVID bowl and 2 yrs it was a playoff site) where there felt like zero B10 presence: 2013 bowl which was Wisconsin's 3rd in a row and last year with OSU. With the Pac 12, it can be hit or miss on feeling and seeing that interest around town--especially in the years when it was Stanford. But thankfully, Utah made up for OSU's lack of interest last year.

I think OSU even returned tickets last year.

djmccaslin

Nov 1, 2021
Herbstreit mentioned the Rose Bowl may take PSU over OSU (despite the rankings) --- OSU would instead go to the Orange Bowl and play the ACC Champ (Clemson).

Interesting possibility that does sound plausible.
I hope so (as a Pasadena resident, it makes my life a whole lot easier) but those Rose Bowl folks are pretty conservative when it comes to tradition. It makes total sense to bring PSU over OSU which had a poor showing last year and it would be their 3rd trip in 5 years but Rose Bowl doesnt always make decisions that make sense.

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

We played Utah there last year, Washington there a few years ago. Worry about interest of OSU fans to go there.

If OSU goes to the Orange, will Alabama quietly go to the Cotton and a date with Tulane?

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
so I think we want USC or TCU to lose (maybe both to lose) to get tOSU and Mich to the playoffs and bump us up to the Rose. But that would mean Rose Bowl against Utah.
Yep, probably the best scenario for PSU although I've been reading that even if OSU doesn't make the CFP, that the Rose could bypass OSU because of their lack of interest thus sending OSU to the Orange Bowl. Supposedly OSU returned a bunch of Rose tickets last year. It seems like it's the Playoffs or bust for that spoiled fan base

Think about this, Bama, OSU, Clemson and Oklahoma might all miss the Playoffs this year. When was the last time one of those teams weren't part of the Playoffs. Definitely a unique CF season

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021

Think the Lions last game against the Huskies was actually at the Fiesta Bowl. I recall it because one of my sons went to that game.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

fastlax16

Aug 24, 2017
Not sure wishing for osu to make the playoff in order for us the make the rose is what’s best for the program long term.

it sounds like pressure is building on Day, let them stay unhappy all off-season. No reason to root for him to get a second shot at salvaging the 2022 season. Issues at OSU help more than appearing in the rose bowl does in my opinion.

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
Not sure wishing for osu to make the playoff in order for us the make the rose is what’s best for the program long term.

it sounds like pressure is building on Day, let them stay unhappy all off-season. No reason to root for him to get a second shot at salvaging the 2022 season. Issues at OSU help more than appearing in the rose bowl does in my opinion.
What's comical is that their fan base considers both 2022 and 2021 as complete failures - they went 11-1 and 11-2 but they lost, of course to Michigan. You are right, though, he won't be around much longer if he keeps losing to them

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Just read - from OSU writer Austin Ward - that OSU has informed the Rose Bowl to take another team if they don't make the Playoffs. Seems like PSU is on its way to Pasadena.
So a school can tell a bowl, "Nah. We're not interested. Take someone else"? I didn't know it worked like that. A PSU return to the Rose Bowl would be great but part of me would like to see OSU get selected simply to screw with them.

Reactions: Manofsteel200

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I hope so (as a Pasadena resident, it makes my life a whole lot easier) but those Rose Bowl folks are pretty conservative when it comes to tradition. It makes total sense to bring PSU over OSU which had a poor showing last year and it would be their 3rd trip in 5 years but Rose Bowl doesnt always make decisions that make sense.
looking at the % chance to make the playoffs, last night is showed OSU at 71% and USC at 20%, so there is a feeling that USC is going to lose, and OSU replaces them.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
So a school can tell a bowl, "Nah. We're not interested. Take someone else"? I didn't know it worked like that. A PSU return to the Rose Bowl would be great but part of me would like to see OSU get selected simply to screw with them.
Apparently, the Rose Bowl isn’t overly eager to take OSU again because OSU didn’t sell their allotment of tickets last year. Also, apparently there is some concern on the OSU side that scenario could occur again.

Reactions: PSUSignore

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Gimme Clemson. I'd rather not have to deal with the faux-pomposity of the Rose Bowl and ... Utah.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
So... would the Orange Bowl even want OSU? That "we're not interested if we don't make the playoffs" attitude wouldn't be attractive to ANY bowl.

Maybe Stroud, Day, and co. should just sit this one out and mope about their utter failure of a season. (that will surely attract top recruits!)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Reactions: Phlebitis

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
So... would the Orange Bowl even want OSU? That "we're not interested if we don't make the playoffs" attitude wouldn't be attractive to ANY bowl.
That isn't "what they are saying".

Thye are saying they would prefer the Orange over the Rose - which makes sense.
The Rose is a much more expensive trip for Midwestern fans, OSU has been there a lot, and the most likely matchup there would be a rematch of last year's Rose Bowl.

Going to the Orange, playing a better team, in a more attractive local for their fans, would be the better choice. That is what they are saying (apparently)

Reactions: Nits74

Phlebitis

Oct 25, 2021

The Rose is a much more expensive trip for Midwestern fans, OSU has been there a lot, and the most likely matchup there would be a rematch of last year's Rose Bowl.

Going to the Orange, playing a better team, in a more attractive local for their fans, would be the better choice. That is what they are saying (apparently)
I agree that if that is what they are saying, that is why they are saying it.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

Maybe Stroud, Day, and co. should just sit this one out and mope about their utter failure of a season. (that will surely attract top recruits!)

I heard the Orange takes the highest ranked SEC/B10/ND team (that the Rose or Sugar don't take). I don't know if that is set in stone, but if the Rose took Penn State, the World Famous OSU buckeyes would be the highest of that group.

• Haha
Reactions: Phlebitis

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Clemson the better program, but who is their best win this year? Utah beat USC.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Clemson the better program, but who is their best win this year? Utah beat USC.
True, but:

If OSU is not in the CFP, would mean USC beat Utah.... making Utah a 4 loss team (could also mean UWash in the Rose - not sure how that would shake out).

Maybe more impactful, vav OSU, is that it if it was Utah, it would be a rematch of last year's game (which was not well received by OSU fans the first time around).
In any event, it doesn't sound like OSU fans are particularly enamored with a trip to face any of the potential P12 matchups in Pasadena (given their recent history, I couldn't blame them). OTOH, I think PSU fans would be quite happy with a trip to the Rose Bowl (over spending the Holidays in Dallas - which is also an expensive trip for NorthEastern folks).

Sounds to me like a win-win (assuming OSU doesn't get into the CFP, which I would still put at better than 50-50)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
True, but:

If OSU is not in the CFP, would mean USC beat Utah.... making Utah a 4 loss team (could also mean UWash in the Rose - not sure how that would shake out).

Maybe more impactful, vav OSU, is that it if it was Utah, it would be a rematch of last year's game (which was not well received by OSU fans the first time around).
In any event, it doesn't sound like OSU fans are particularly enamored with a trip to face any of the potential P12 matchups in Pasadena (given their recent history, I couldn't blame them). OTOH, I think PSU fans would be quite happy with a trip to the Rose Bowl (over spending the Holidays in Dallas - which is also an expensive trip for NorthEastern folks).

Sounds to me like a win-win (assuming OSU doesn't get into the CFP, which I would still put at better than 50-50)

Agree. Love everything about the Rose Bowl. Would be the cherry on top of a great season.

Reactions: Nits74 and PSUFTG

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Agree. Love everything about the Rose Bowl. Would be the cherry on top of a great season.
Agreed.

What's crazy, IMO, is how back in 2019 PSU had a MUCH better season (including multiple wins over ranked teams) - and ended up shuffled to Dallas to play freakin' mid-major Memphis State. This year it could be Pasadena - maybe against USC, but, at worst, a relatively well-known P12 program - in arguably the best college bowl venue in the nation.

Sometimes the cards fall your way.

Reactions: Midnighter

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Can we please get Mississippi State and Mike Leach in the Cheese-It Bowl?

Latest posts