What bowl for PSU, info and speculation thread

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Ok imagine this

UGa gets destroyed by 3 loss LSU
Michigan loses by 21 to however many loss Purdue.
TCU loses by 25 in the Big 12 championship to K-Stare
USC craps the bed against Utah.

They all drop significantly. PSU ends up in CFP.
Wins it all by defeating OSU and Alabama.

It could happen.
Time to wake up now, ro. Sounds like you had a good nap. (Although, Purdue is just the kind of team that could beat Michigan on a given day)

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
They won’t play on Jan 1 due to the NFL (it’s a Sunday).

Plus, one of PSU’s greatest victories happened on Jan 2. In 1987 against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl - which also happened to be may 22nd Birthday.
Sweet GIF
Well happy belated birthday.

Reactions: psuro

Meat Lab

Oct 25, 2021
Utah is the 1 in USC's 11-1 regular season. If Utah wins again, it's (almost) certain USC is out the playoffs and likely that tOSU as the only 1 loss team is in, putting PSU in the Rose.

That's what I'm cheering for next Saturday, anyway.
Agreed. Also, lets say USC wins. A K State win over TCU will put OSU in the playoffs and PSU in the Rose.

Plan on cheering a day earlier for Utah. game is Friday at 8.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
The highest ranked G5 team gets a bid (as long as they are ranked high enough, but not sure what that is). If Tulane beats UCF, they will move up after the Championships and easily qualify.
The highest ranked G5 teams goes. Period. There’s always at least one G5 in the NY6 bowls each year. If there’s no G5 in the top 25, the committee keeps ranking until the highest G5 is reached.

Reactions: WanderingSpectator

Ironlions23

Nov 1, 2021
Unless there is a deal behind closed doors for the Buckeyes to goto the Orange since they haven’t been there in quite some time which would open up the Rose Bowl, PSU is heading to the NY6 Cotton to play the Tulane / CFU winner. There are no other options on the table. Now if there is chaos next weekend, it will make the selection show more interesting. Maybe Utah could get USC , never know about TCU and big 12 but Georgia, Michigan aren’t losing.

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
Agreed. Also, lets say USC wins. A K State win over TCU will put OSU in the playoffs and PSU in the Rose.

Plan on cheering a day earlier for Utah. game is Friday at 8.
Yeah, you're right. The first TCU-KState matchup was a competitive game. Nobody knows which group of 18-25 year olds is going to show up, but on paper this is no Gimme for TCU.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Ok imagine this

It could happen.
And Bob could stop touching himself :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Utah is the 1 in USC's 11-1 regular season. If Utah wins again, it's (almost) certain USC is out the playoffs and likely that tOSU as the only 1 loss team is in, putting PSU in the Rose.

That's what I'm cheering for next Saturday, anyway.

In the Rose against Utah though….so, great bowl/venue, meh opponent.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Ok imagine this

It could happen.
I'm not sure we would jump Michigan no matter how much they lose by :confused:

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
He's so super awesome, and you're so acquainted with him, that you don't even know his name.

Good job, troll.
I quickly recognized my auto-spell error and corrected it.

Thanks for stalking me 🙄

I’d normally consider it a compliment, but I’m actually concerned because you exhibit mental derangement.

Reactions: Iionscott

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
SI’s Wogenrich lays out Penn State bowl scenarios; says Cotton most likely but Rose could opt for PSU over OSU if it wanted.

I’m not a Bowl expert but the 3rd option which has PSU playing a very tough game against LSU makes the most sense to me. A win here could bear some fruit on the recruiting front and maybe start the conversation of a third National Championship. With that said, I’m not so sure the Penn State AD would pass up on a Rose Bowl game against Washington. To me the worst option is the game against Tulane.

Last edited:

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
I’m not a Bowl expert but the 3rd option which has PSU playing a very tough game against LSU makes the most sense to me. A win here could bear some fruit on the recruiting front. But again, I’m not so sure the Penn State AD would pass up on a Rose Bowl game against Washington. To me the worst option is the game against Tulane.
LSU doesn’t deserve to play us. Isn’t that how it works? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: psu31trap

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
The perfect is the enemy of the good.

While you're waiting for Penn State to play up to your standards, you missed out on a young team that developed nicely and played a pretty exciting brand of football. Too bad for you.
I missed nothing. How much longer are you going to keep writing them excuses?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
If we end up here at the Cotton Bowl again playing a Div 1-AA team I am going to be really pissed.
playing a low ranked team from the G5 in the Cotton would not be perceived as a NY6 game and be worse if we lost. games like that get opt outs, and also a max effort by the underdog. That is a no-win. we need to win in a hammer job to just maintain credibility.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
You must frequently be disappointed in life. I won’t even get into what I think about Star Wars. 🙄
You’re not wrong. I am often disappointed by what other people consider to be “good”. But you seem to be implying I should lower my standards. Hard pass.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
You’re not wrong. I am often disappointed by what other people consider to be “good”. But you seem to be implying I should lower my standards. Hard pass.
About Star Wars….hard pass for me.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
I couldn’t even get through this whole post. What a whiny attitude.
You’re confusing “whining” with “analytical”. It’s cool if you choose not to look at things too closely so long as you’re aware that the inability to distinguish “greatness” from “mediocrity” is a poor flex.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I missed nothing. How much longer are you going to keep writing them excuses?
"Them excuses"? English is not your friend. Spend more time working on the quality of your posts, and less time worrying about the lack of perfection in what others produce, while you have produced nothing.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
You’re confusing “whining” with “analytical”. It’s cool if you choose not to look at things too closely so long as you’re aware that the inability to distinguish “greatness” from “mediocrity” is a poor flex.
What's "analytical" about noticing that we'd be better if we lost fewer games? Genius! You think demanding better of others while sitting there watching the same games we're watching somehow makes you better?

It's like sitting down at a restaurant for a nice meal with a large group. Everyone's chit-chatting, having a good time. The food's good, but not the greatest, but everyone's enjoying themselves. Everyone, that is, but some douche who insists on criticizing every aspect of the food and service, telling everyone - loudly - about how he had this great meal at Cafe Whogivesaphuck, and how that would blow this meal out of the water. Then Sir Douchealot takes it upon himself to stop the waiter and loudly proclaim to him just how unsatisfactory everything is, and how he demands perfection .. except he actually says he demands "prefection" and everyone knows the food at Cafe Whogivesaphuck is boiled in cat piss and tastes like it just came out of the sewer.

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, that game was played on the second because it was the NC game and they wanted it to be all by itself. Not the same with the outdated Cotton Bowl.
Yeah, but before PSU played Miami in that game, no one paid much attention to the Fiesta Bowl.

WRT your issues on the 2nd, aren't all the bowl games (this year) being played on Jan 2 and not Jan 1?

Last edited:
Reactions: FHSPSU67

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
playing a low ranked team from the G5 in the Cotton would not be perceived as a NY6 game and be worse if we lost. games like that get opt outs, and also a max effort by the underdog. That is a no-win. we need to win in a hammer job to just maintain credibility.

yet, when I read the pundits talk about PSU getting a NY6 bowl, they mention it would be Franklin’s 4th. So they do perceive the Cotton as a NY6.

Reactions: doctornick

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
yet, when I read the pundits talk about PSU getting a NY6 bowl, they mention it would be Franklin’s 4th. So they do perceive the Cotton as a NY6.
Of course it is....and every few years, it's one of the playoff bowls. Because that is how the rotation is set up.