What bowl for PSU, info and speculation thread

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
playing a low ranked team from the G5 in the Cotton would not be perceived as a NY6 game and be worse if we lost. games like that get opt outs, and also a max effort by the underdog. That is a no-win. we need to win in a hammer job to just maintain credibility.
Your comment is incredbily ill informed, and we have all just become stupider for it. And on this board of all places!

Shouldn't you be out shooting at America's National Symbol?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah, but before PSU played Miami in that game, no one paid much attention to the Fiesta Bowl.

WRT your issues on the 2nd, aren't all the bowl games (this year) being played on Jan 2 and not Jan 1?
Yes. This was a discussed several times earlier in the conversation. I forgot Jan 1 was a Sunday. Regardless, the Cotton Bowl hasn’t recently been played with the other NY6 games.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Was he an Ohio kid? Interesting...
I remember him as a star HS football and basketball player from Canton McKinley when I was in HS. He played in the same stadium as the NFL HOF game is held in.

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
Everyone seems to be disregarding the noise from the Notre Dame fan base who are all clamoring for Notre Dame to be declared national champions by default because of their selfless schedule, and that all of their coaches and players attend daily Mass, and they only had 4 losses instead of the more likely 5 or 6 losses.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Yes. This was a discussed several times earlier in the conversation. I forgot Jan 1 was a Sunday. Regardless, the Cotton Bowl hasn’t recently been played with the other NY6 games.
The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are the only NY6 games which don't routinely get rotated out of their traditional New Year's Day time slots. But even this year the Sugar Bowl starts at noon on Dec. 31st. In the playoff era, the Orange Bowl has rarely been played on New Year's Day. In the past it was a staple of New Year's Day prime time. The Peach Bowl was always a lower tier game until they started playing in the current stadium. At least the Fiesta Bowl has nice January weather going for it.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Cotton Bowl just as I'm not a fan of the Peach Bowl. Neither has a conference tie-in which causes a lack of identity. Both are in the playoff rotation because they're played in billion dollar domed stadiums which are attractions in and of themselves. Lastly, neither DFW or Atlanta are prime January travel destinations.

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
The Rose Bowl is the only NY6 game which doesn't routinely get rotated out of it's traditional New Year's Day time slot. In the playoff era, the Orange Bowl has rarely been played on New Year's Day. In the past it was a staple of New Year's Day prime time. The Peach Bowl was always a lower tier game until they started playing in the current stadium. At least the Fiesta Bowl has nice January weather going for it.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Cotton Bowl just as I'm not a fan of the Peach Bowl. Neither has a conference tie-in which causes a lack of identity. Both are in the playoff rotation because they're played in billion dollar domed stadiums which are attractions in and of themselves. Lastly, neither DFW or Atlanta are prime January travel destinations.
From a pure fan perspective it comes down to personal preference. I prefer warm weather so I wouldn't prefer Dallas or Atlanta and would prefer Fla, CA or AZ

From a this years team perspective, you want the best game match up even if it's not NY6.

From a program perspective you want NY6 no matter the opponent because 2 years from now nobody remembers the opponent...they just know PSU did 4 NY6 bowls in 7 years.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are the only NY6 games which don't routinely get rotated out of their traditional New Year's Day time slots. But even this year the Sugar Bowl starts at noon on Dec. 31st. In the playoff era, the Orange Bowl has rarely been played on New Year's Day. In the past it was a staple of New Year's Day prime time. The Peach Bowl was always a lower tier game until they started playing in the current stadium. At least the Fiesta Bowl has nice January weather going for it.

Are DFW and Atlanta ever prime travel destinations?

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Yeah, you're right. The first TCU-KState matchup was a competitive game. Nobody knows which group of 18-25 year olds is going to show up, but on paper this is no Gimme for TCU.
And TCU was the beneficiary of some really poor (corrupt?) officiating in that first game vs KSU.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
I’m not a Bowl expert but the 3rd option which has PSU playing a very tough game against LSU makes the most sense to me. A win here could bear some fruit on the recruiting front and maybe start the conversation of a third National Championship. With that said, I’m not so sure the Penn State AD would pass up on a Rose Bowl game against Washington. To me the worst option is the game against Tulane.
Fifth national championship. The NCAA recognizes Penn State as national champions in 1911 and 1912.

Reactions: psu31trap

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
Let's take off the blue-and-white goggles and come to our senses....do any of us really want to face Alabama, Clemson, or Utah in any bowl and get tossed around like rag dolls as in the Michigan game or the 4th quarter of the Ohio State game?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Let's take off the blue-and-white goggles and come to our senses....do any of us really want to face Alabama, Clemson, or Utah in any bowl and get tossed around like rag dolls as in the Michigan game or the 4th quarter of the Ohio State game?
Not Bama. Don't know much about Utah. But Clemson might be a good game. I think it would be the battle of the embattled QBs - Clifford and DJU.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
Steve Jones saying a chance the Rose Bowl might pick PSU over OSU

Three reasons from his radio show today:

OSU was just there last year after being disappointed not getting into the CFP (that would be the same scenario again this year). So PSU may travel better with their fans.

PSU is close enough to OSU in the rankings (the Rose Bowl rules say if two Big Ten teams are in a "cluster", they can pick the lower ranked team)

CJ Stroud announced he wouldn't play in anything less than the CFP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

OSU was just there last year after being disappointed not getting into the CFP (that would be the same scenario again this year). So PSU may travel better with their fans.

PSU is close enough to OSU in the rankings (the Rose Bowl rules say if two Big Ten teams are in a "cluster", they can pick the lower ranked team)

Also mentioned on The Athletic’s ‘The Audible’ podcast as well….

Reactions: Zenophile

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Bama is gonna have sh*t loads of opt outs…

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
Everybody should want to play one of those opponents. There would be no rag doll tossing.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Personally I don’t care who we play, where we play or when we play…..as long as we WIN!
That atitude is not going to get you very far young man
No No No GIF by Dolly Parton

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Based on what I've seen from those three this year, while we might lose, none of them are rag dolling us.

Bama lost to a Tennessee team that barely escaped Pitt.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
The NCAA recognizes no school as FBS (and its precursors) football champion. They simply publish a list, which isn't the same

Yep. There is no such thing as a national championship in Div 1-A college football and there never has been. And there are no plans for an official championship in the future.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Clemson didn’t “toss around” most of the teams they played in the ACC….they’re not exactly the juggernaut you think they are. Utah lost three games and barely beat Washington State…again, you’re giving them too much credit.

STL_Lion

Oct 12, 2021
Steve Jones saying a chance the Rose Bowl might pick PSU over OSU

WTF...Stroud's announcement should do wonders for OSU team morale
Day will have t take control before this spirals out of control
And this does nothing for Orange wanting to take OSU

Last edited:
Reactions: ODShowtime

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Stewart Mandel at The Athletic predicts PSU v Tulane in the Cotton Bowl but allows for the possibility that the Rose could opt for Penn State over Ohio State. Both good options for different reasons.

Reactions: pennstater97

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Before people continue arguing about the Cotton Bowl, let’s give kevin warren a chance to work his magic. He has our back and he’s got this.

I don't see a point in arguing about this at all. We have absolutely no say in this. I just root for whomever the team plays because no amount of arguing about it on the internet will change what bowl the team will go to.

Reactions: pennstater97

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
This ain't the late 70's/early 80's. That was 40 or so years ago. **** happens. Maybe if a legend hadn't held on for a couple decades too long, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I think everyone wants to compete for Nattys and be mentioned with the big boys, but some of us are more realistic. We're in a ****** recruiting area (now, compared to most of the big boys), and we "just" came off the craziest scandal and 2nd worst ncaa-imposed punishment for a high-profile program in history ... so to be where we're at is pretty friggin awesome.
Yep…it is all Joe’s fault!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
In the event the Rose selects PSU over OSU, OSU likely ends up in the Orange, but the B1G would then forfeit it's automatic slot in the ReliaQuest Bowl. So, if you want a good reason for the B1G to lobby for OSU to keep it's Rose Bowl slot (which would likely put PSU in the Cotton and still give the B1G it's guaranteed slot in the ReliaQuest/Outback Bowl), this is it.

Reactions: ODShowtime

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Everybody should want to play one of those opponents. There would be no rag doll tossing.
Teams like Utah are interesting. In the team talent composite rankings (#33), they are in the same zone as TCU, MSU, and Maryland. They have found a way to maximize the talent they have acquired to the point of being a really good football team. I'm sure in some key positions they have had players really pan out. The same can especially be said of TCU. It makes me think of how/when can that phenomenon happen at PSU with our even higher level of recruits? Michigan has now done so the past two years with roughly the same level of talent we have. I'm hoping this young crop of players we have will do likewise for us.

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
What I want: Rose Bowl, against the Washington Huskies.

What we'll likely get: Cotton Bowl against the Little Team that Could (and hopefully doesn't). What a lose-lose proposition for whichever Big 5 team gets this bowl berth.