What is Dakota Jordan’s average when we need a meaningful hit?

MSBamaWard

Feb 3, 2023
He leans forward too much.. needs to center himself and use lower body power. Reason you see him falling out. A good hitting coach can work with him.. it will take time though. He has the raw talent, just don’t know if he has the mental ability. Time will tell.. but he has potential to be great

Reactions: fang

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He leans forward too much.. needs to center himself and use lower body power. Reason you see him falling out. A good hitting coach can work with him.. it will take time though. He has the raw talent, just don’t know if he has the mental ability. Time will tell.. but he has potential to be great
lol the guy is hitting 370 with exit velo thru the roof. He strikes out too much but that’s the game now a days.

And we are analyzing his swing like we know it better than he does? A good hitting coach isn’t gonna do much with his swing at all. He played private school baseball, he just needs reps and reps and reps seeing the filthy stuff he’s getting thrown

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
lol the guy is hitting 370 with exit velo thru the roof. He strikes out too much but that’s the game now a days.

And we are analyzing his swing like we know it better than he does? A good hitting coach isn’t gonna do much with his swing at all. He played private school baseball, he just needs reps and reps and reps seeing the filthy stuff he’s getting thrown
Didn’t read. Muh stats.

Watch a 17ing game for once.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He hit .250 (3-12) this weekend against the worst staff in the league, just saying
It’s baseball. Hell go 0 for 12 at times too. Hell also go 8 for 12 some weekends.

He hit pretty well against the best staff in the league last weekend. Things tend to even out.

Reactions: patdog

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I guess this thread answers my question of which MSU player who is actually good will be the next one Sixpackers will call a scrub and schitt on relentlessly.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I guess this thread answers my question of which MSU player who is actually good will be the next one Sixpackers will call a scrub and schitt on relentlessly.
Meanwhile, he will become a millionaire in a few weeks and probably be in the major league in a couple of years.

Reactions: 1984dog

Chuck B

May 3, 2024
I don’t disagree with some of these takes, but every time I’m ready criticize him he goes full speed down the line on a chopper to third or makes a fantastic defensive play. Makes me believe he his hustling and giving his best

Reactions: 3-2 Dawg

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
He also led the conference in K's this year. So the fact that he hit .370 means when he makes contact, good things happen. He looks too spread out at the plate to me and I agree he isn't balanced when swinging which seems odd as wide as his stance is. Hines has a more narrow stance and has high strike outs as well, so not saying the stance is the issue. Jordan seems to be able to go the other way more so than Hines.
I don't think either will do more than a cup of coffee at AAA. They just don't have that clutch gene, or the leader gene. Chance and Mershon are more leader quality to me. Just wish Mershon hadn't gone cold the last few games.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

I tend to agree with you. The things I would suggest to him.

1. He is a front foot type hitter like Henry Aaron was. He really needs to concentrate on keeping that front shoulder in. When he is hitting well he is driving balls to right center field. That breaking ball he hit in Arkansas to right field he should watch that video every day.

2. He does seem to have issues in pressure situations. That is also a concentration thing. In the situation today all he needed was to make solid contact. He did not have to exit velo that at 115. You need to understand what to do on every pitch of the AB. I would get him in the batting cage and tell him to put the barrel of the bat every pitch thrown. Basically long pepper. His natural strength he will still hit it hard.

3. Stop guessing especially with 2 strikes. That is the only way he let's fastballs go looking at them. The above drill will also help with that. recognize and react.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I tend to agree with you. The things I would suggest to him.

1. He is a front foot type hitter like Henry Aaron was. He really needs to concentrate on keeping that front shoulder in. When he is hitting well he is driving balls to right center field. That breaking ball he hit in Arkansas to right field he should watch that video every day.

2. He does seem to have issues in pressure situations. That is also a concentration thing. In the situation today all he needed was to make solid contact. He did not have to exit velo that at 115. You need to understand what to do on every pitch of the AB. I would get him in the batting cage and tell him to put the barrel of the bat every pitch thrown. Basically long pepper. His natural strength he will still hit it hard.

3. Stop guessing especially with 2 strikes. That is the only way he let's fastballs go looking at them. The above drill will also help with that. recognize and react.
All he needs to work on is his overall approach. What pitch to look for and when. How certain pitchers will pitch him, and how he will be pitched on a given situation…. All that will improve with experience.

again he played private school baseball and once in the sec he very quickly turned into the guy you don’t want to beat you in our order. Meaning he gets pitched tough and pitched around a lot. The jump from Mra to the sec is huge and He’s handled it very very well.

when a guy hits the ball as far and as hard as DJ does… no one is going to fix any part of that swing.… they will take the bad with the good And there is an awful lot of good there.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
All he needs to work on is his overall approach. What pitch to look for and when. How certain pitchers will pitch him, and how he will be pitched on a given situation…. All that will improve with experience.

again he played private school baseball and once in the sec he very quickly turned into the guy you don’t want to beat you in our order. Meaning he gets pitched tough and pitched around a lot. The jump from Mra to the sec is huge and He’s handled it very very well.

when a guy hits the ball as far and as hard as DJ does… no one is going to fix any part of that swing.… they will take the bad with the good And there is an awful lot of good there.
Problem is, the good never shows up when the game is on the line and the good is really, really needed. Stats this weekend don't lie. Same with Hines; when the game is on the line, he's MIA. Again, stats don't lie.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Problem is, the good never shows up when the game is on the line and the good is really, really needed. Stats this weekend don't lie. Same with Hines; when the game is on the line, he's MIA. Again, stats don't lie.
Game isn’t always won in the 7/8/9 inning. Sometimes the big moments in the game happen at other times. He’s been plenty big for us this season and during his career.

stats this weekend, sure he struggled. How did he do last weekend, agains the best staff in the league.

you can pick out 12 at bats throughout the course of a season and make anyone look good or bad. Jordan has had nearly 400 college at bats and the good far outweighs the bad… and like you said… the stats don’t lie

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Oh and Hines…. I guess the 2 out homer to win the vandy game… guess he was mia there or was that not considered a game on the line situation?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Hunter Hines does one thing good. He wears out the infield on his 4 fly outs per game.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
He apparently has been trained to have an uppercut swing, which results in a long flyball or a strikeout. I wonder where that came from? The old-school approach was swing level and hit line drives.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He apparently has been trained to have an uppercut swing, which results in a long flyball or a strikeout. I wonder where that came from? The old-school approach was swing level and hit line drives.
Welcome to baseball.. this is the new approach
Hunter Hines does one thing good. He wears out the infield on his 4 fly outs per game.
He’s hit 12 homers in sec play. He practically won the vandy series for us. Amazing how we remember the bad but forget the good

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Welcome to baseball.. this is the new approach

He’s hit 12 homers in sec play. He practically won the vandy series for us. Amazing how we remember the bad but forget the good

Yes, he flat out won the Vandy series. We get swept without him.

1984dog

Apr 4, 2014
I don’t disagree with some of these takes, but every time I’m ready criticize him he goes full speed down the line on a chopper to third or makes a fantastic defensive play. Makes me believe he his hustling and giving his best
He hustles in the field and running the bases. Yes, he is young (just a soph) and he will continue to develop in the next few years on someone else's team (making 7 figures) while perfecting his pitch recognition, better base running and better throws from the outfield. He would be a triple crown candidate next year if he returned to MSU for his junior season and could probably increase his draft status to a top 10 pick and pocket a couple more million$ - but for now, he needs to take the money and run as his future is so bright. Let that sink in!

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Is he 0 for the season?

I'm not doing the math nor the research, but solely based upon you starting this thread I've crunched those numbers & arrived at the statistical impurity of Butthurt .853.

For the record, I'm disappointed with all of our situational hitting.

However, the math implies you're more insufferable than any failure in fields of play.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton