When did we bring back the Female Bully mascot, and how is that still a thing?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I saw her in Tampa, and someone said her name was Belle? We had a female mascot when zebras in School, but she just showed up for women's sports. Although, now that I think about it, we had the SEC Womens/Mens double headers in basketball I think she would hang around for the first half of the men's game.

Still, how does this happen in today's gender sensitive world?

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
I saw her in Tampa, and someone said her name was Belle? We had a female mascot when zebras in School, but she just showed up for women's sports. Although, now that I think about it, we had the SEC Womens/Mens double headers in basketball I think she would hang around for the first half of the men's game.

I really need to get a different hobby.

Reactions: Pars

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010

IDK, but my 5 y/o got really excited to see her, and mascots are primarily for children.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Somebody’s got to iron bully’s shirts.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2d1ee8b0-3c16-4959-8d6e-ef5bcee1cd83/gif

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Yeah I started that one. I was just surprised - not outraged.
I missed that thread. I forgot all about Belle until I saw her (?) during yesterday's game. And if anyone thought I was upset about it, you are mistsken.

I really am curious about when we brought Belle back, and why? And how she fits in to today-s culture?

Reactions: 3407Dewey

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Despite what you see in the media, there are still plenty of little boys AND girls out there.
And those little girls need a female mascot (which may very well have a man inside the costime) so that they feel included in the spectacle of sports?

Also, yours is the second post to suggest the costumed mascots are for kids. They are for fans of all ages. They provide entertainment during slow times in the game, and are sort of an anthropomorphic fan on the field.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It must be a lot of fun waking up everyday trying to find something to be offended by
Belle was created by those waking up offended cuz there was no female mascot rep. I say let her perform at female sporting events but keep Bully the way he is for male sporting events.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: Dawgg

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Who is "WE" ?
Mississippi State University. I happen to be a fan and alumnus of said university so when referring to it, or the athletic teams, I sometimes say we. I figured that was understandable.

If the University higher ups want to put out a male and female bully, who cares. Talk about things not to worry about.

Reactions: onewoof and Dawgg

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
And those little girls need a female mascot (which may very well have a man inside the costime) so that they feel included in the spectacle of sports?

Also, yours is the second post to suggest the costumed mascots are for kids. They are for fans of all ages. They provide entertainment during slow times in the game, and are sort of an anthropomorphic fan on the field.
No, they don’t NEED it, but, if a little girl gets excited about getting to see a female mascot and that provides another motivation for a family to go to an event, what’s the problem there?

And, yes, costumed mascots are for kids. If an an adult without mental disabilities is truly entertained by somebody dressed up waving and doing dances, well, that would be weird.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
No, they don’t NEED it, but, if a little girl gets excited about getting to see a female mascot and that provides another motivation for a family to go to an event, what’s the problem there?

And, yes, costumed mascots are for kids. If an an adult without mental disabilities is truly entertained by somebody dressed up waving and doing dances, well, that would be weird.
So, we're you on this site during one of our World Series runs when the school posted YouTube videos of Bully traveling to Omaha? Every video was posted here and commented on, mostly positively.

I suppose we could have a lot of 12 year olds posting here, but I know some of the posters were even older than me.

Costumed mascots can do a lot of entertaining **** at ball games. I'm sorry your inner child and sense of humor has died.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Mississippi State University. I happen to be a fan and alumnus of said university so when referring to it, or the athletic teams, I sometimes say we. I figured that was understandable.

If the University higher ups want to put out a male and female bully, who cares. Talk about things not to worry about.
Yeah, and if they want to change our logos, or our uniforms, or their licensing policies, who cares? Talk about things not to talk about.

Some people care about these things. If you don't, then just don't post in those threads.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Belle was created by those waking up offended cuz there was no female mascot rep. I say let her perform at female sporting events but keep Bully the way he is for male sporting events.
Are you sure it was offense, and not just a PR move? I never heard any clamor for a gender specific mascot, but I'm not on the front lines on this sort of thing.

Was it Bracky's call?

And if their is anything offensive in this whole thing, it is the bows on Belle's head. Although I don't know how else to indicate she identifies as a *****. The eyelash extendions aren't enough.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Are you sure it was offense, and not just a PR move? I never heard any clamor for a gender specific mascot, but I'm not on the front lines on this sort of thing.

Was it Bracky's call?

And if their is anything offensive in this whole thing, it is the bows on Belle's head. Although I don't know how else to indicate she identifies as a *****. The eyelash extendions aren't enough.
Bully has always been a masculine image so why the change? Even our living English Bulldog has always been a male. Was there a huge contingent of STATE Fans upset about this and demanded change?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I figured it was just so little girls who come to the games in little cheerleader uniforms could get their picture taken with a cute cheerleader costume mascot. But I’m sure it’s yet another battle in the “War against men”

Reactions: Dawgg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I’ve never noticed the girl mascot until State played basketball

Was it Bracky's call?

for someone who is not bothered or does not care about a female mascot, you sure seem to care a lot.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

Was it Bracky's call?

Are you serious? Offensive? There couldn’t be a more ridiculous issue to analyze.

I have 2 young daughters, if given the choice between bully and “belle” I’m sure they would like to take a picture with belle. That’s the reason for belle.

I also have a son and another on the way, and I’m sure if given the choice they’d like a picture with bully. How can being a boy or girl be offensive? Surely you’re trolling.