WZZQ

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Really good show. Best part was the pothole patrol. Good to know Jackson was still dealing with potholes back in the seventies. I also didn't realize Jackson basically gave Dan Fogelberg his break. Didn't Perez go to Z106 at some point?

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Yes, in the seventies it was THE station to listen to in the Jxn area. A lot of cars at that time did not have FM, and FM converters were selling like hot cakes. The good old days?

Oct 2, 2022
Great rock station for that era and location. Lots of good artists and bands played in Jackson as a result of ZZQ’s efforts. Living in a small town in MS we spent lots of time driving around listening to ZZQ in our cars. Nice trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Best thing about that documentary, besides the interviews with the old DJs, was all that original audio from the broadcasts.

Amazing somebody was prescient, or crazy, enough to hang onto that stuff.

Reactions: Dawg84

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
601-982-1029

My parents would get all over me when they saw the phone bill every month and I had been calling this Jackson phone number all the time. For a small town South MS (Pine Belt area and could only get it at night and on the open interstate) kid it was so awesome to stay up past midnight listening to the coolest DJ's I had ever heard playing the coolest music I had ever heard. The skits/ads were awesome, King Biscuit Flour Hour, the classifieds, it was all so new and great for me. I went to my first concert in Jackson (Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive Tour w/ Gary Wright on his Dream Weaver Tour opening) because I heard about it on WZZQ. Ticket was $7...........

Edit: My favorite part last night was seeing old photos/videos of the old DJ's w/ long hair, beards, beads etc and now they all look like, me. NO hair, old fashioned grumpy, etc.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
601-982-1029

My parents would get all over me when they saw the phone bill every month and I had been calling this Jackson phone number all the time. For a small town South MS (Pine Belt area and could only get it at night and on the open interstate) kid it was so awesome to stay up past midnight listening to the coolest DJ's I had ever heard playing the coolest music I had ever heard. The skits/ads were awesome, King Biscuit Flour Hour, the classifieds, it was all so new and great for me. I went to my first concert in Jackson (Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive Tour w/ Gary Wright on his Dream Weaver Tour opening) because I heard about it on WZZQ. Ticket was $7...........

Nice.

I think this was the ZZQ experience for a lot of us. I was young to be listening and never old enough to participate in the debauchery, but it was formative for me.

Amazing that era has come and gone and so have things it created (local record stores and stereo shops) in my lifetime.

And I still feel ok. Physically that is...

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010
For those old enough to remember, this looks like a cool watch on MPB tonight...

WZZQ had a little van that broadcasted from during the State Fair. I remember this mom stopping by there to fuss at the DJ (I think it was Wayne Harrison) complaining about the language and music they played. Good times.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
WZZQ had a little van that broadcasted from during the State Fair. I remember this mom stopping by there to fuss at the DJ (I think it was Wayne Harrison) complaining about the language and music they played. Good times.

They actually got away with a show called Sex in the Morning in Jackson MS in the 1970's. Amazing.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I was still wet behind the years, but it seems like we could periodically pull in WZZQ as far away as Greenwood.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
601-982-1029

Edit: My favorite part last night was seeing old photos/videos of the old DJ's w/ long hair, beards, beads etc and now they all look like, me. NO hair, old fashioned grumpy, etc.
Ha, I got chills the first time I heard one of them say the phone number last night (instant recognition even though I hadn't heard or thought about it in years) and remembered waiting to call in until after 11:00 when the long distance call charges dropped (my folks wouldn't complain if I did that).

Reactions: She Mate Me
Oct 17, 2023
Before covid, that van was in a fenced junk yard where the new cut through comes into Hwy 51, At least I think those are the roads. We passed it all the time going to lunch. I tried to buy it but they wouldn't sell it.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Did ZZQ use the "Keep On Truckin'" dude from the Robert Crumb cartoon on T-shirts and bumper stickers in the early years? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Our family only had one FM radio in the house back then, and I wasn't really allowed to touch it. My best friend's older brother had ZZQ stuff all over his room, though, and for some reason he took us to visit the station once. I think he had won a prize.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Really good show. Best part was the pothole patrol. Good to know Jackson was still dealing with potholes back in the seventies. I also didn't realize Jackson basically gave Dan Fogelberg his break. Didn't Perez go to Z106 at some point?
I don't know if Perez did but I know that David Adcock did.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sunday morning Toons 'til Two baby...

Adcock was a sublime DJ.
I moved back to MS around 1996 and was thrilled to find Adcock and "Tunes till 2:00" every Sunday morning from 8:00-2:00. Sorry preacher, David Adcock is on the air every Sunday during your time slot.......probably a big contributor to why I'm such a heathen today

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
I remember listening to the final airing of ZZQ. 2am Sunday morning, The Doors "This Is The End" was the last song. Can't remember who did the final sign-off, if it was Adcock, Gary, or who, but they said WZZQ signing off and then there was static......my friends had told me the station was changing formats, but I didn't believe them. The next morning I turned on the radio and there was MS103. Nothing against country music, but my radio was never on 102.9 again.

Reactions: Double Dawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I remember listening to the final airing of ZZQ. 2am Sunday morning, The Doors "This Is The End" was the last song. Can't remember who did the final sign-off, if it was Adcock, Gary, or who, but they said WZZQ signing off and then there was static......my friends had told me the station was changing formats, but I didn't believe them. The next morning I turned on the radio and there was MS103. Nothing against country music, but my radio was never on 102.9 again.
The documentary said it was Warren Strain that did the final sign off. I believe he passed away maybe a couple years ago now from a stroke? He said "this WAS WZZQ" and it went to static.

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008
I don't know if Perez did but I know that David Adcock did.

It seems like Perez worked at every rock station in Jackson at some point. I cracked up the first time I heard him on SuperTalk. I love his response to any questions about marijuana: “I don’t have to answer that question.”

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It seems like Perez worked at every rock station in Jackson at some point. I cracked up the first time I heard him on SuperTalk. I love his response to any questions about marijuana: “I don’t have to answer that question.”

He's quietly hilarious in that YouTube video above.

All those retired guys around him telling stories about the wild days and constantly breaking FCC rules and actual laws. You can hear him in the background trying to tone it down. At one point I think he says "SHUT UP, Bruce" in a whisper yell.

Passivetrader

Oct 21, 2022
The documentary said it was Warren Strain that did the final sign off. I believe he passed away maybe a couple years ago now from a stroke? He said "this WAS WZZQ" and it went to static.
It was indeed Warren Strain who did the final sign off. He was a fraternity brother of mine at MSU.

Rockydawg

Mar 3, 2008
For those old enough to remember, this looks like a cool watch on MPB tonight...

SHAMELESS PLUG:

I am very inspired by the legacy of WZZQ, and am committed to bringing that spirit back to central Mississippi. Please check out my rock and roll variety show. It’s free.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008

Wayne Harrison and I were really good friends. We grew up together in the same neighborhood in Byrd Heights - Clinton. There were four brothers in the family. Wayne's dad was a postman. We played Whiffleball and two-hand-touch football in their backyard about a hundred times. On May 25th, 1965, Ali fought Sonny Liston and we all got together to listen to the shortest fight Ali ever fought on Wayne's Dad's AM radio in their carport. The fight was less than a minute long. Went by BoBop many times, just to see Wayne. He was such a good guy, nearly killed me when he was shot in the failed marijuana purchase that night on Mill Street, west of Milsaps campus. The music scene in Jackson lost a great guy that night. His younger brother, Gerald was not very tall, but loved baseball as much as anyone I have ever met. He played Little Legue baseball, and no pitcher could put a ball into his 12-18 inch strike zone. The coaches would always tell him to "Just stand there and make them walk you." This nearly killed Gerald, who was a pretty good hitter and so badly wanted to swing the bat. every time he did, even when he got a hit, the coach would go berserk because Gerald didn't do what he was told. So many good memories of Wayne and his family. Too many to share here.