BWI Film Club: New Movie Trailers…

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
quick reviews.

• Family Switch with Ed Helms and Jennifer Garner was amusing and well done. Obviously, it's predictable but a good family movie during family movie week. It's a remake of freaky Friday or Big but this one's twist is that the entire family of five gets switched. Well, five is not an even number, so there-in-lies a good opportunity for jocularity.
  • The Family Plan with Mark Wahlberg was also a good family movie. Again, very much a redone movie of several before (Family Dad is suddenly exposed as a former government assassin to his unsuspecting, bored, suburb family). But some good laughs and a good movie to watch with the family as long as they are old enough to see some people get shot.
  • Ricky Gervais Armageddon stand-up on Netflix. Ricky is the best in the biz, right now, for calling it as he sees it. he combines some G rated observations (comparing the life of a snail to a slug), difficult conversations (growing up with pedophiles) and wokeness observations. But he makes you think. He comes at concepts with a sharp wit and provocative thoughts. You won't always agree, but you will think
Curb Your Enthusiasm coming out Feb 4th and the follow-up to band of brothers/the pacific regarding the 8th airforce on January 26th named Masters of the Air.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Saw ‘Saltburn’ last night and am still processing. It’s an early 00’s story about a ‘working class’ lad Oliver (Barry Keough) who meets and becomes infatuated with an obscenely rich/attractive/magnetic classmate Felix (Jacob Elordi) while at Oxford. The two become friends and during break Felix, whose family is British nobility, invites Oliver to his castle home to spend the summer. While there, Oliver meets and interacts with Felix’s family (his parents, played by Rosamund Pike and Richard Grant, are terrific), the servant staff, his sister Venetia, and others, and experiences decadence in a way only few can.

But, through a series of actions we see Oliver has his own motivations and by the end they are revealed in a very unsatisfying way IMO. No spoilers, but definitely a version of ‘Talented Mr. Ridley’ if you’re familiar.

The cinematography is gorgeous and the Saltburn estate is magnificent, and the cast is wonderful (Keough truly bares all in a starmaking turn). Again, hated the ending, but won’t spoil until someone else chimes in…

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Saw ‘Saltburn’ last night and am still processing. It’s an early 00’s story about a ‘working class’ lad Oliver (Barry Keough) who meets and becomes infatuated with an obscenely rich/attractive/magnetic classmate Felix (Jacob Elordi) while at Oxford. The two become friends and during break Felix, whose family is British nobility, invites Oliver to his castle home to spend the summer. While there, Oliver meets and interacts with Felix’s family (his parents, played by Rosamund Pike and Richard Grant, are terrific), the servant staff, his sister Venetia, and others, and experiences decadence in a way only few can.

But, through a series of actions we see Oliver has his own motivations and by the end they are revealed in a very unsatisfying way IMO. No spoilers, but definitely a version of ‘Talented Mr. Ridley’ if you’re familiar.

The cinematography is gorgeous and the Saltburn estate is magnificent, and the cast is wonderful (Keough truly bares all in a starmaking turn). Again, hated the ending, but won’t spoil until someone else chimes in…

And there's some weird-*** **** in there

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
I had the chance to check this out with my son over the Christmas break. My son loves classical music. He thought Bradley Cooper really nailed Bernstein's mannerisms. He really enjoyed the musical score. From what I read; Cooper worked for 6 years on preparing for the role. It's a little hard to follow if you don't know more of his life story as it is told in a series of vignettes.
Some critics ostracized Bradley Cooper for using a prosthetic nose and playing the role of a Jew. However, Berstein's family thought he did a great performance. I googled pictures while watching the movie and thought the resemblance was uncanny.
Overall, I enjoyed learning more about an American institution. I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Maestro | Official Trailer | Netflix (youtube.com)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The bathtub and the blood in particular stand out. Kinda seems like they are in there only for shock value. I read that you either love this movie or hate it. I will say I liked it.

On the whole, agree. Ending soured me though. Especially since I felt the Catton’s were mostly nice people.

Reactions: JerseyLion

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
So early, premature rumblings for Best Picture;

Oppenheimer, Barbie, The Holdovers, Killers of the DiCaprio and Scorsese Moon as expected

Other rumblings:

Poor Things, Past Lives, American Fiction, Maestro, May December

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Reactions: Midnighter

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Saw Oppenheimer, Barbie, The Holdovers, Killers of The Flower Moon, & Poor Things. I liked them all except Barbie and great performances in all of them so some tough competition.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
So early, premature rumblings for Best Picture;

Oppenheimer, Barbie, The Holdovers, Killers of the DiCaprio and Scorsese Moon as expected

Other rumblings:

Poor Things, Past Lives, American Fiction, Maestro, May December

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Watch for Showing Up; Kelly Reichard has maybe the best track record of any American filmmaker…I agree with the others you listed as well.

Reactions: ApexLion

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
a quick scan back and I did not see this mentioned so...Iron Claw....

saw it New Years eve. I thought it was a good movie, except a couple guys miscast (like the Bear(Jeremy Allen White) guy being 1 of the brothers, that brother was suppose to throw the discus in the 1980 Olympics and rumor was Aronld wouldnt take his shirt off in his company, it was like Tom Cruise as Reacher)
Anyway its a good story, mostly true, the thngs they left out would make you more despressed.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
a quick scan back and I did not see this mentioned so...Iron Claw....

saw it New Years eve. I thought it was a good movie, except a couple guys miscast (like the Bear(Jeremy Allen White) guy being 1 of the brothers, that brother was suppose to throw the discus in the 1980 Olympics and rumor was Aronld wouldnt take his shirt off in his company, it was like Tom Cruise as Reacher)
Anyway its a good story, mostly true, the thngs they left out would make you more despressed.

I thought that somebody had posted it so I looked around and, sure enough, it was in the Streaming Movies thread. As I am probably most guilty of posting trailers that had previously been posted (either here or in other threads), I would like to propose that we adopt a convention to facilitate searching for trailers: enter the Film or TV Show title somewhere in the post outside of the inserted video. I'll start doing it (unless I forget ;) ) and hope that others will jump onboard.

Reactions: LionJim

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
I watched "The Equalizer 3" last night on Netflix. I only watched it because it had Denzel Washington, whom I just love. I thought it was really good. It is kind of a slow crawl with lots of tension. It is almost all subtitles, based in Naples and Sicily. Denzel, pushing 70, can still bring it.

Reactions: PO60

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I watched "The Equalizer 3" last night on Netflix. I only watched it because it had Denzel Washington, whom I just love. I thought it was really good. It is kind of a slow crawl with lots of tension. It is almost all subtitles, based in Naples and Sicily. Denzel, pushing 70, can still bring it.

Love the OCD aspect of his character. Bronson updated. Enjoyed all 3.

Reactions: Obliviax

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

I freaking LOVED this movie

Reactions: Obliviax

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Was wondering who QT would nab for the lead in his ‘final’ film….no idea what to expect.