What bowl for PSU, info and speculation thread

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
I’m very happy for the players, Franklin and the staff that they’re in the mix for NY6. It’s a great honor. The team had a good season and this would be a nice reward for it. But they had a good season no matter where they go and I’ll be watching them.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
I’m very happy for the players, Franklin and the staff that they’re in the mix for NY6. It’s a great honor. The team had a good season and this would be a nice reward for it. But they had a good season no matter where they go and I’ll be watching them.
It's BWICAC policy to ***** and moan about things not under "our" control.
Remember...."We deserve better."

Reactions: Nits1989

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
I sympathize. It's not an easy life to be an elite fan.
True. If you can’t be happy with the season— 10 wins— you’re denying yourself some pleasure, and it’s not wrong to be pleased this year. They have some nice young players, and nice recruits and it’s looking like Franklin might be in the process of adding some more recruits.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Yeah, a 10-2 Bama over a 12-1 TCU? I mean anything is possible but would not be consistent with past decisions. I could kind of see it if Bama were conference champ since you could use that to justify but don’t see it.
If they're truly looking for the best teams, in my opinion Alabama probably belongs. Look at their two losses. They very easily could or should be undefeated. If I'm Georgia, that's the last team I'd want to play in the first game.

Reactions: Iionscott

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
If I have an "ilk," we're, by definition, not unique. Good going, sport. My "ilk" doesn't appreciate total douchebags who get off on attempting to dox people on a football message board for no reason ... especially when the attempted doxxing is way off point and only meant to harass and disparage others. And especially when these total douchebags brag about how they don't care if one of their many screennames they're using at the same time gets banned, because they have an infinite amount of them. And especially when these total douchebags spend their time being racist POSs, attempt to disparage only coaches who are POC (Franklin, Seider, etc.), going to such extremes that they'll lie and make up easily disproven nonsense (and never own up to it, even when they're affirmatively proven wrong, by video, on their latest ridiculous attempt), just to attack them. And especially when these total douchebags come on here saying how awful the board is, and how it'll fold up in no time. You're just an objectively bad person, through and through. Go back to your neo-nazi haven (the politics board on the old site), you worthless POS. With all due respect (which is none).
Rant often?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They won’t play on Jan 1 due to the NFL (it’s a Sunday).

Plus, one of PSU’s greatest victories happened on Jan 2. In 1987 against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl - which also happened to be may 22nd Birthday.
Sweet GIF
Yeah, that game was played on the second because it was the NC game and they wanted it to be all by itself. Not the same with the outdated Cotton Bowl.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Penn State fans are ‘excited’ too - lots of young talent and I think we’re all looking forward to next year. Rose Bowl would be the perfect stage/springboard. Always nice to get in front of California recruits too.
And you have OSU players, including Stroud, say he wouldn't play in a non-CFP bowl.

Reactions: Midnighter

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
If they're truly looking for the best teams, in my opinion Alabama probably belongs. Look at their two losses. They very easily could or should be undefeated. If I'm Georgia, that's the last team I'd want to play in the first game.
I think we all feel pretty good on 10-2 season where the odds were 8-9 wins, with a 6-6 downside before the season started. This team accomplished a lot and look at the list of players who were injured and missed a good part of the season. if someone told you before the season we would lose JPJ, Parker, most of the OL, be down to only 2 FR RBs, etc = that we would win 10 games you would think they were crazy. OBTW - we would would out gain tOSU and have -4 TO's and still keep game tight to the end. It was a good season.

For the NY6 bowls, I thought that the CFP Committee chooses who goes where. We should be #8 as of today, and it should look like:

Top 4 = UGA, UM, TCU,USC

Next 4 = Bama, tOSU, Tenn, PSU

I think we all want to play a team where our guys will not opt out and also play at 100%. Playing Bama, Tenn, Utah, Washington, Clemson in either Orange, Rose or Sugar would be good. Playing a team nobody has heard of in the Cotton is probably going to have a lot of opt outs, and not the effort you want to see. The Memphis game was harder than it should have been, and we were 10x that team in talent. And that game was without opt outs.

Reactions: Midnighter

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
CBS Sports is projecting PSU to the Cotton Bowl against Tulane.
I thought you have to be in the top 14 teams to qualify for NY6? Tulane no way will be ranked that high. Is this some type of automatic everyone gets a ribbon bowl?

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021
I probably wouldn't have done the Alamo Bowl regardless, but how many PSUers were excited about going to the Alamo Bowl after expecting to contend for the MNC that year?
Here's one.

I live in San Antonio and was able to speak with JoePa and even watch an actual Bowl practice.

And the game itself was real ... and spectacular.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I thought you have to be in the top 14 teams to qualify for NY6? Tulane no way will be ranked that high. Is this some type of automatic everyone gets a ribbon bowl?
The highest ranked G5 team gets a bid (as long as they are ranked high enough, but not sure what that is). If Tulane beats UCF, they will move up after the Championships and easily qualify.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Pre-season rankings mean absolutely nothing.

Losing to your only two tough opponents… every year? Significant.

It’s the same as people who defend these new Star Wars movies, even though they’re appallingly bad: either you have standards, or you’re fine with mediocrity. Many people are fine with mediocrity.

I’m not. I expect excellence.
Penn State is 3-3 vs Michigan in their last six games.

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
CFP selection comittee ranks 25 teams and puts the highest ranked G5 conference champion into a NY6 bowl. If no G5 champion is ranked, the selection committee compares them and picks one for a NY6 bowl.

LionInTheSouth

Aug 19, 2022
True. If you can’t be happy with the season— 10 wins— you’re denying yourself some pleasure, and it’s not wrong to be pleased this year. They have some nice young players, and nice recruits and it’s looking like Franklin might be in the process of adding some more recruits.
This Year?!?! 😵💫
I aim to be pleased at least once a week.

Reactions: Nits1989

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
And Franklin to Tulane, which could be awkward.
Fumi has always wanted to live in New Orleans. James is tired of being forced to fill 100,000 seats every Saturday and longs for a stadium smaller than Vanderbilt's.

They're as good as gone.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Ok imagine this

UGa gets destroyed by 3 loss LSU
Michigan loses by 21 to however many loss Purdue.
TCU loses by 25 in the Big 12 championship to K-Stare
USC craps the bed against Utah.

They all drop significantly. PSU ends up in CFP.
Wins it all by defeating OSU and Alabama.

It could happen.

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
The highest ranked G5 team gets a bid (as long as they are ranked high enough, but not sure what that is). If Tulane beats UCF, they will move up after the Championships and easily qualify.
The highest ranked G5 conference champion gets a NY6 slot regardless of how high they're ranked. If none are in the top 25, the CFP selection comittee will choose one.

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
Ok imagine th

USC craps the bed against Utah.

It could happen.
Utah is the 1 in USC's 11-1 regular season. If Utah wins again, it's (almost) certain USC is out the playoffs and likely that tOSU as the only 1 loss team is in, putting PSU in the Rose.

That's what I'm cheering for next Saturday, anyway.

Latest posts