Bourbon thread

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
Had to make a road trip to Toledo OH for a funeral for Mrs. Pioneer's beloved Uncle. While there we scouted the local liquor centers and scored: several bottles of Weller Special Reserve ($23 each!!), McKenna 10 yr, Dickel bottled in bond, Elijah Craig barrel strength, Knob 12 yr, Knob 9 yr single barrel select (120 proof yet so smooth), Traverse City Barrel Strength store pick.
So we are toasting Mrs. Pioneer's Uncle, the good life he led, and the many people he helped, for a long, long time.

Reactions: mulegator and MLU

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Absolutely! And we REALLY need to check out all those bottles of Pappy, to ensure they are all genuine! :cool: 🤣

These are all that’s leftover from my old plug.🔌

I used to be able to crack them like they were nothing because I’d knew I’d get 4-6 a year. Unfortunately that dried up & now I just stare at these as a reminder of better days. 🥲

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Good numbers on the Pappy this year.

Yeah I know they’ve talked about being more available this year, but one thing about me… I am NOT a camper. 😄

I’m in a alcohol controlled state as well, so unless I have someone that calls me & asks if I want one, we now have an allocated day each year here through lottery. I was lucky enough to get 51 the first year but haven’t been selected the last few, so that’s the only way I’d go up & wait.

thomasna

Nov 11, 2021
Got a bottle of this over the summer while at the distillery. Can't post a pic of my bottle while at my daughters practice but I was surprised at how solid it was. Anyone else tasted this?

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Got a bottle of this over the summer while at the distillery. Can't post a pic of my bottle while at my daughters practice but I was surprised at how solid it was. Anyone else tasted this?
I never did get around to trying this, but these guys have been supplying Pinhook and Blue Run with a lot of their product. They were very patient and waited a long time to roll out their own bourbon, so I am sure it's solid and only going to get better.

Marianne Eaves is the Master Distiller who got it of the ground. She was a master taster for Brown-Foreman before that. She's had her hands in a lot of successful ventures recently like Kings Distillery, Woodenville and she was who the Manning's turned to for Sweetens Cove. She's a sharp lady and don't miss very often.

DoublerVol

Sep 1, 2022
I just sold a few bottles of 97 and 100 proof. Also had a few bottles of the wheated! Played golf in a charity event with Brooks Smith! We had WAY to much in common.

DoublerVol

Sep 1, 2022
I never did get around to trying this, but these guys have been supplying Pinhook and Blue Run with a lot of their product. They were very patient and waited a long time to roll out their own bourbon, so I am sure it's solid and only going to get better.

Marianne Eaves is the Master Distiller who got it of the ground. She was a master taster for Brown-Foreman before that. She's had her hands in a lot of successful ventures recently like Kings Distillery, Woodenville and she was who the Manning's turned to for Sweetens Cove. She's a sharp lady and don't miss very often.
Solid information for the drinking public! If you ever make your way around middle Tennessee, please visit my store. Bar is always open!

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022

I’ve heard from some really solid guys that Jim Rutledge was really who they were leaning on while she was learning. She still seems like a smart cookie though. They had nothing but good things to say about her.

Reactions: HTXIrishWave

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I’ve heard from some really solid guys that Jim Rutledge was really who they were leaning on while she was learning. She still seems like a smart cookie though. They had nothing but good things to say about her.
Well, that wouldn't surprise me one bit since Rutledge was all over that distillery with the Blue Run distillate being from there and his habit of sharing knowledge with anyone who shows interest. His background being pretty strong with the production side of things and hers strengths being the chemistry/flavor side of things, I would have loved being a fly on the wall there. Not to mention, the Old Taylor Distillery is one of my favorite places to visit for the grounds alone.

Rutledge is a big reason why I am all in on Blue Run. Their high rye bourbon tastes an awful lot like Rutledge's previous product, although that pretty butterfly seems to add a lot of value to their juice. Lol

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Well, that wouldn't surprise me one bit since Rutledge was all over that distillery with the Blue Run distillate being from there and his habit of sharing knowledge with anyone who shows interest. His background being pretty strong with the production side of things and hers strengths being the chemistry/flavor side of things, I would have loved being a fly on the wall there. Not to mention, the Old Taylor Distillery is one of my favorite places to visit for the grounds alone.

Rutledge is a big reason why I am all in on Blue Run. Their high rye bourbon tastes an awful lot like Rutledge's previous product, although that pretty butterfly seems to add a lot of value to their juice. Lol

I agree that C&K is a fantastic tour. I was on the first few when they opened. Only issue was we had to drink gin & vodka during the tasting because they had no bourbon yet lol.

Have they talked anymore about Rutledge still opening his own distillery? I know they had plans to, but I haven’t heard much since prior to COVID. I’m a big Four Roses guy & love me some Rutledge. 🤓

• Love
Reactions: MLU

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I agree that C&K is a fantastic tour. I was on the first few when they opened. Only issue was we had to drink gin & vodka during the tasting because they had no bourbon yet lol.

Have they talked anymore about Rutledge still opening his own distillery? I know they had plans to, but I haven’t heard much since prior to COVID. I’m a big Four Roses guy & love me some Rutledge. 🤓
I don't think they have broken ground yet. Several investors pulled their money out during the COVID-19 shutdowns was the last I heard. He's still distilling in other places, but no movement on the JW Rutledge Distillery yet.

I haven't had the pleasure of doing a tour yet. They were starting them soon the last time I went. All they had was gin, vodka and rye. We just wandered the grounds with cocktails and I ended up taking a nap creekside in the adirondack chairs. Lol

Reactions: GarnetAndGucci

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
I don't think they have broken ground yet. Several investors pulled their money out during the COVID-19 shutdowns was the last I heard. He's still distilling in other places, but no movement on the JW Rutledge Distillery yet.

I haven't had the pleasure of doing a tour yet. They were starting them soon the last time I went. All they had was gin, vodka and rye. We just wandered the grounds with cocktails and I ended up taking a nap creekside in the adirondack chairs. Lol

Did you drive down to see Old Crow too? That place is awesome looking from the road. I keep saying I’m gonna get over to Glenns Creek next time we’re on the Trail so I can wander around out there. (If they let me lol)

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Did you drive down to see Old Crow too? That place is awesome looking from the road. I keep saying I’m gonna get over to Glenns Creek next time we’re on the Trail so I can wander around out there. (If they let me lol)
Well, the last trip was just a couple hours to relax before our tours at BT started. I have heard people highly recommend visiting Glens Creek. I wouldn't mind sneaking over next door to Old Crow and just soak in the history.

HTXIrishWave

Dec 25, 2021
I’ve had it. I wasn’t blown away but it’s still a solid pour. Cool looking bottle and the story of bringing back the historic distillery is pretty cool

Reactions: thomasna

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Had Russell’s Reserve 13 last night. It’s an incredible pour
This year's isn't quite a legendary as last year's, but it's pretty good. Russell's always seems to produce some nice single barrels out there that are on par. I try not to ever pass one up, but people have caught on and they go fast now.

Reactions: HTXIrishWave

BonInBama

Jul 30, 2022
Share those rare finds gents. Bookers, Blood Oath, Weller, Papppy, Blanton.

What you got?
My Daddy drank nothing but Evan Williams. So that’s been my go to, but I recently took a sip of my niece’s Crown Royal and Gingerale Zero (I know that grossed out you slow sippers.) I’m afraid Evan Williams and I will divorce soon. Apparently I’m a C. R. kind of gal. Who knew 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: MLU

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
My Daddy drank nothing but Evan Williams. So that’s been my go to, but I recently took a sip of my niece’s Crown Royal and Gingerale Zero (I know that grossed out you slow sippers.) I’m afraid Evan Williams and I will divorce soon. Apparently I’m a C. R. kind of gal. Who knew 🤷‍♀️
Not a thing wrong with it. I'm every bit the whiskey nerd, but come summertime I'm drinking Jameson and Ginger Ale as the beverage of choice.

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
I think I’m a pretty decent bourbon and scotch connoisseur, so here’s my rundown of go-to top 3 sipping bourbons/whiskey:

1. Four Roses Small Batch Select
2. Blanton’s
3. Remus (Indiana)

I’ve had Pappy (15, 20, 23), Van Winkle, Weller’s (not a fan), Buffalo Trace (lol), and other hard to find bourbons. And while Pappy’s is amazingly delicious and smooth, it’s not a regular budget friendly sipper. Pound for pound, I think Four Roses SBS is the best bourbon out there right now at $55 a bottle, Virginia ABC.
By the way, Rob Samuels IV (Owner of Makers Mark) was my frat brother at South Carolina (Lambda Chi) Hey Rob, if you’re reading this, send me a case! Lol

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
This year's isn't quite a legendary as last year's, but it's pretty good. Russell's always seems to produce some nice single barrels out there that are on par. I try not to ever pass one up, but people have caught on and they go fast now.

Heck, I’d argue that WT is putting the best juice out there. Between them & HH IMO.

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
It's tough to beat RR10 and RB Rye and I am convinced no bad bottles of ECBP exist.

We picked a ECBP for a local cigar bar & it’s fantastic. Only issue is he has to sell it for $100. 😂

And I gets no discount. 🥹

You’ve inspired tonight’s pour to be RB Rye though. 😎

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
We picked a ECBP for a local cigar bar & it’s fantastic. Only issue is he has to sell it for $100. 😂

And I gets no discount. 🥹

You’ve inspired tonight’s pour to be RB Rye though. 😎
I would pay more for an ECBP single barrel pick.

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Something different some of you may not have tried. This is blended by a friend of mine who own’s a store in Ocean Springs. Think it’s only available in Mississippi right now. This is a blend of KY & IN bourbon at cask strength.

Fred Minnick recently did a tasting of it on his channel & loved it as well.