Not a good look for Mater Dei or Coach Rollinson

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
People saying this is common & has gone on forever & not a big deal are beyond stupid.
It’s not just what happens, it’s lying about it, not informing the parents, not giving proper & timely medical treatment & covering it up while withholding information from the police investigation.
This! If they have to hide it, then they know it's wrong.

IndyNDBJJ

Nov 4, 2021
The majority y'all are out of your element.

From the article.

“Hey, chill, chill, chill,” a teammate is heard in the background.

“What the (expletive),” Player 1 shouted at Player 2. “I thought this was Bodies.”

Injured kid wasn't upset until he was hit in his face, because that's not part of the rules of the game that he willingly participated in. This isn't a ritual or hazing. It's a schoolboys game. The bigger kid took it too far and should've been punished.

The article tries to make this look like fight club or some forced ritual and that's a complete reach. The only evidence we have is what happened on the video. Everything else is speculation at best or a hit piece at worst. Rolo handled it the wrong way, but I see why he did. Once again this "game" is in all highschools. This is not unique to Mater Dei.

This is almost too stupid to respond to.

If it’s nothing then why hide it? Who not talk to the police? Why not inform the parents? Why not give immediate medical care? If it’s nothing, and it happens everywhere, then why cover it up?

This doesn’t happen everywhere & it’s not just HS kids being HS kids. It’s not a hit piece. Stop trying to brush it under the rug. There isn’t only going to be lawsuits but there will be criminal charges for neglect. Minors cannot have “mutually agreed on combat.” Minors cannot be declined or decline themselves immediate medical treatment. School officials cannot delay contacting parents of injured minors. School officials cannot “plead the 5th” when minors are injured at school functions.

Stop trying to sound tough. Doesn’t float in my waters.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017

He certainly doesn't come across as sympathetic in any way.
Wow.. This is a kick in the groin for me because I've always admired the staff. They certainly give off a different vibe in public. I know most of their primary coaching staff including Bruce but I must say I'm very disappointed that none of the staff members did the right thing by being open, honest and responsible. Many of them have teaching backgrounds too? That's unbelievable that a teacher would knowingly let students fight? Instead they chose to protect their little boys club. I'm not on board with this.

It's disgusting. Anyone that knew this type of thing went on or assisted in the cover up is a POS and you deserve what's coming to you.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
This doesn’t happen everywhere & it’s not just HS kids being HS kids. It’s not a hit piece. Stop trying to brush it under the rug. There isn’t only going to be lawsuits but there will be criminal charges for neglect. Minors cannot have “mutually agreed on combat.” Minors cannot be declined or decline themselves immediate medical treatment. School officials cannot delay contacting parents of injured minors. School officials cannot “plead the 5th” when minors are injured at school functions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still hard to believe that an adult delayed medical treatment for a minor. And that somebody ordered the parents NOT to be contacted. If it were my kid, I can't even put in to words how angry I would be.

It's like parents who host "drinking parties" for minors at their home thinking it's a better idea than letting them drink elsewhere. SMH.

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
This is almost too stupid to respond to.

If it’s nothing then why hide it?
Who not talk to the police? Why not inform the parents? Why not give immediate medical care? If it’s nothing, and it happens everywhere, then why cover it up?

Stop trying to sound tough. Doesn’t float in my waters.
Whoa there buddy! I'm not defending anybody. I said the kid who gave the concussion should've been punished and that Rolo didn't handle the situation the right way.

It was a game that turned into a fight. A kid got hurt, and Rolo decided to protect a football player/his reputation. The wrong move. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but fights do happen at every school. "Bodies" is in most schools with young boys. It's a game between boys trying to prove who's tougher. This is not some sort of gang initiation like the article wants to make you believe. I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong. I'm just shining a light on a situation many in this thread have no clue about.

Instead of being quick to accuse or belittle, make sure you fully comprehend what you're reading.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
The majority y'all are out of your element.

From the article.

“Hey, chill, chill, chill,” a teammate is heard in the background.

“What the (expletive),” Player 1 shouted at Player 2. “I thought this was Bodies.”

Injured kid wasn't upset until he was hit in his face, because that's not part of the rules of the game that he willingly participated in. This isn't a ritual or hazing. It's a schoolboys game. The bigger kid took it too far and should've been punished.

The article tries to make this look like fight club or some forced ritual and that's a complete reach. The only evidence we have is what happened on the video. Everything else is speculation at best or a hit piece at worst. Rolo handled it the wrong way, but I see why he did. Once again this "game" is in all highschools. This is not unique to Mater Dei.
First off, you keep repeating a lie that this happens at all high schools. Bodies is played at all high schools!? What exactly do you base that upon? From there, how in the heck do you then connect that with it happening basically on all football teams. Really, how many schools or college players have you coached? Do you have college buddies that are teachers, coaches, ADs, or former players that are coaching high school now? How many schools have you coached at or taught at? You say, fights happen at all schools? Wow…You say many are out of there element but a bunch of this is going right over your head.

Last edited:

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

He certainly doesn't come across as sympathetic in any way.

Totally unacceptable. :(

Reactions: HRPickenstuff

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
First off, you keep repeating a lie that this happens at all high schools. Bodies is played at all high schools!? What exactly do you base that upon? From there, how in the heck do you then connect that with it happening basically on all football teams. Really, how many schools or college players have you coached? How many schools have you coached at or taught at? You say, fights happen at all schools? You say many are out of there element but a bunch of this is going right over your head.
Negative, you're out of touch and can't grasp what I'm saying.

Now for the umpteenth time...

1. Rolo handled this situation the wrong way.
2. Kid who caused the injuries should've been punished.

And here's what I've said in every post in this thread and my main point.

3. This was an isolated incident and not some kind of gang initiaton or rite of passage like the attorney or the author would lead you to believe. I say this because "Ritual" is in the headline and loosely thrown around in the article without any evidence to back it up. The transcript of the incident clearly shows both kids playing a game until it becomes an actual fight and the smaller kid is hurt. The author presenting this as hazing, bullying or a ritual is talking out of his *** at best.

I have no relation to Mater Dei or coach Rolo. I don't care what they do moving forward. I do see the author taking a few liberties to make the story worse than what it actually is.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
This game of “Bodies”…..they don’t even do it with boxing gloves? It’s bare knuckles?

So, a 205 lb. linebacker can bust the f#<¥ out of a 168 lb. WR’s chest/ribs?

Anyway…..the story just now played out on Channel 7 (ABC) with lawyers speaking. Backlash coming……

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Now for the umpteenth time...

1. Rolo handled this situation the wrong way.
2. Kid who caused the injuries should've been punished.

And here's what I've said in every post in this thread and my main point.

3. This was an isolated incident and not some kind of gang initiaton or rite of passage like the attorney or the author would lead you to believe. I say this because "Ritual" is in the headline and loosely thrown around in the article without any evidence to back it up. The transcript of the incident clearly shows both kids playing a game until it becomes an actual fight and the smaller kid is hurt. The author presenting this as hazing, bullying or a ritual is talking out of his *** at best.

I have no relation to Mater Dei or coach Rolo. I don't care what they do moving forward. I do see the author taking a few liberties to make the story worse than what it actually is.
Again, you are avoiding your own lies. I’ll ask you again, what do you base the statement: this happens at every high school? Can’t answer it because it’s BS.

I’d like you to name some other high schools you know of that play bodies.

Nobody is shocked that a fight happens in high schools. Yet. You think that sophomoric sarcasm was intelligent or even close at pointing out why people are pissed. Again right over head.

“Taking liberties…more than what it really is?! And Im out of touch lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fyton82

Mr.roltrojan

Aug 7, 2018
BS. It was the definition of hazing. The second Rollo or any other f-ing adult got wind this insanity was taking place, it should have been squashed in a second. These m-fers have known about this for decades and buried it. I hope it comes back to bite every single one of them.
Coach Rollinson is different breed of coach from the old school mentality. Yes maybe assistants/ staff may have not said anything immediately and the head coach. But the students could reported this behavior right away as well or in the past. Even if they did and it got covered up it might’ve taken this to stop it. Sometimes when young men get carried away with situations like this one. Also kids get into fights at school all the time and football is a physical sport and help players take out their aggression on the field. Anyone that has been an angel all of their lives throw the first stone at coach Rollinson. Whoever is the next head coach at Mater Dei has big shoes to fill and continue the success and winning and hopefully build a better culture.

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
Again, you are avoiding your own lies. I’ll ask you again, what do you base the statement: this happens at every high school? Can’t answer it because it’s BS.

I’d like you to name some other high schools you know of that play bodies.

Nobody is shocked that a fight happens in high schools. Yet. You think that sophomoric sarcasm was intelligent or even close at pointing out why people are pissed. Again right over head.

Im out of touch lol.
You are, and you'd rather argue semantics than actually tackle my main point. Nice try

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still hard to believe that an adult delayed medical treatment for a minor. And that somebody ordered the parents NOT to be contacted. If it were my kid, I can't even put in to words how angry I would be.

It's like parents who host "drinking parties" for minors at their home thinking it's a better idea than letting them drink elsewhere. SMH.
Even worse, IMO. And that's pretty bad.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
You are, and you'd rather argue semantics than actually tackle my main point. Nice try
No I’m actually basing that upon what you said, but hey if semantics allows you to spew BS than fight on!? Lmao

Or should I say body on or whatever you and your friends play lol.

On a different note, I hope the NorCal rep can hand the south open division winner that big L.

Last edited:

Fyton82

Sep 6, 2017
Coach Rollinson is different breed of coach from the old school mentality. Yes maybe assistants/ staff may have not said anything immediately and the head coach. But the students could reported this behavior right away as well or in the past. Even if they did and it got covered up it might’ve taken this to stop it. Sometimes when young men get carried away with situations like this one. Also kids get into fights at school all the time and football is a physical sport and help players take out their aggression on the field. Anyone that has been an angel all of their lives throw the first stone at coach Rollinson. Whoever is the next head coach at Mater Dei has big shoes to fill and continue the success and winning and hopefully build a better culture.

You mean like this kind of "old school"

1637810544853.png

Reactions: Tamatoa916

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
No I’m actually basing that upon what you said, but hey if semantics allows you to spew BS than fight on!? Lmao

Or should I say body on or whatever you and your friends play lol.

On a different note, I hope the NorCal rep can hand the south open division winner that big L.

Howzit Bruddah Tamatoa916, Could you please post the NSCIF playoff brackets and results for us SSCIF fans. Very interested who will represent the North and Central CIF for the State bowl games. Oh, who made the finals for the Open, D-1, D-2, D-3 Div? Mahalo Brah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tamatoa916

Mr.roltrojan

Aug 7, 2018
You mean like this kind of "old school"

View attachment 161749
Well many were entertained actually by the winning. Many coaches have had their flaws and errors but I recognize that some players get affected more than others. Hope mater dei moves on and starts over with a new head coach and players affected overcome this.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
First off, you keep repeating a lie that this happens at all high schools. Bodies is played at all high schools!? What exactly do you base that upon? From there, how in the heck do you then connect that with it happening basically on all football teams. Really, how many schools or college players have you coached? Do you have college buddies that are teachers, coaches, ADs, or former players that are coaching high school now? How many schools have you coached at or taught at? You say, fights happen at all schools? Wow…You say many are out of there element but a bunch of this is going right over your head.
I have a 30 year history of coaching in Southern California. Several sports both mens and women's with several Organizations. I also worked for Parks and recreation in thier after school youth department and specialized, in development, implementing and organizing leagues and tournaments. I've never seen a game like "Bodies" played or condoned by any coach around me. If something like this did pop off it would have been meet with swift action. It would've simply not been allowed and full cooperation with law enforcement would have been expected. Immediate suspensions would have taken place. The safety of all participants was always our number one priority. Then the game, Fair play, sportsmanship. We taught kids more than how to score touchdowns and hit Home Runs.

If "bodies" is being played at a school or on a team it's because you have corrupt weak leaders. It not normal. You should be teaching teams to play a team game "We're only as good as out weakest link" lift up your bothers. Not be the one to cripple him. You invited both players protect both not just the better player. You turned your back on #1 and is #2 still on the team?

Two things that stand out: There were players that did not participate. Good for you that's the result of good parenting and good moral instincts. (I wish they would've taken the next step ban together and stop it)

The second thing is this so called game "Bodies" Is exactly the excuse a bully needs to find a sucker to pummel of coarse he chooses a weaker opponent. Notice he didn't challenge a 300lb OT? or someone bigger or tougher? I'm sure the smaller guy felt peer pressure to participate. I guess he figured ill take a few blows and quit and get my respect. But to a bully he cant quit for him this was always going to turn into a full fight with hits to the face and an opportunity to embarrass someone. These bully's can give it but they can't take it. Once he was hit back and hurt he snapped. Including an alleged one more time when the fight was over. That's chicken $@#t. Who knows did the little guy strike him in the face first? If so was it an accident? Whether it happened like this or not that's what the sleazy Attorney will say anyways. It's a lose lose situation for #1. He going to be painted as the aggressor. MD will probably find a bunch of sheep witnesses to protect Rolo.

Now Mater Dei HS. You charge an obscene amount of money for tuition. Doctors, Lawyers and anyone who wants a better education for their children are willing to pay it. How do you justify letting something like this happen at a prestigious school? How do you go into cover up mode instead of cooperating? Football before academics at a private School?

Bruce R? What type of catholic role model are you? I've heard you do team prayers and use God in your speeches? God this and God that? Really man?

Last edited:

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
Tone def response from Rolo, but I get where he's coming from. I grew up "playing" bodies/body-shots/body, and never got seriously hurt. It's like rough housing...but with your fists.😅 There's rules, at least one ref, and you'd usually dap up your oppenent after it was done (no bad blood).

The article makes it sound like Rolo was hosting fight club. Lol As for the small kid's injuries, that ain't "bodies". At best it maybe started as that, but turned into an actual beating. The "ref" should've jumped in to stop the game when a body blow goes too high or low. This game happens every day at most High Schools (and probably middle schools) in america. This is the first time I've heard someone getting a brain injury over a game of bodies.

This aint hazing or a ritual. Just rough housing that got out of hand.
We can all pontificate all we want, this kind of crap needs to stop before someone really gets hurt

Reactions: Pudly76

Fyton82

Sep 6, 2017
Well many were entertained actually by the winning. Many coaches have had their flaws and errors but I recognize that some players get affected more than others. Hope mater dei moves on and starts over with a new head coach and players affected overcome this.
I guess it's all about the winning, huh?
"Some players get affected more than others" - you're right, the kid with the traumatic brain injury was just a tad more affected.

I hope all the "adults" that were supposed to be the care takers for the program are all perp walked for covering this BS up and MD gets sued into oblivion.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
People need to understand something about Mater Dei. They’ve had way, way, way worse stuff than this occur that got covered up by the Diocese, for decades.

Reactions: Mr.roltrojan

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
For the those of you old enough to remember the old Angelus League ( Mater Dei, Bishop Amat, St. Paul, Servite & Bishop Montgomery) this has gone on since the 70s. And everyone knew about it, including parents. The old joke was, if you could make it through Hell Week, you could make it through any military boot camp.

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
For the those of you old enough to remember the old Angelus League ( Mater Dei, Bishop Amat, St. Paul, Servite & Bishop Montgomery) this has gone on since the 70s. And everyone knew about it, including parents. The old joke was, if you could make it through Hell Week, you could make it through any military boot camp.The difference now, this country is SOFT. It’s a fact. I’m softer as it relates to being a parent. But if I had a son, I would send him to Mater Dei n Coach Bruce.

Hmmm, nothing like a brain injury and a comminuted nasal fracture to instill toughness and make better parents 🥶

I agree on the “softness” of today’s American thinking…..but not THAT remedy

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
Hmmm, nothing like a brain injury and a comminuted nasal fracture to instill toughness and make better parents 🥶

I agree on the “softness” of today’s American thinking…..but not THAT remedy
I’m not down with causing serious bodily injury, I should of stated that.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
For the those of you old enough to remember the old Angelus League ( Mater Dei, Bishop Amat, St. Paul, Servite & Bishop Montgomery) this has gone on since the 70s. And everyone knew about it, including parents. The old joke was, if you could make it through Hell Week, you could make it through any military boot camp.
I know a WR from Servite, Beuerlein era....no, they weren't doing this at Servite.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Not really surprised.
The winning made everything okay.
Before he showed up Mater Dei hadn't been
relevant since the 1960's. Other than maybe
Todd Marinovich playing there 2 seasons.
Then you had the "mysterious" transfers of Derek Sparks (by the way just passed away a couple days ago R.I.P.) and a couple others and by year 3 C.I.F. champs. No matter how the kids got there.
Brilliant coach though.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Should we burn it down and send all the kids back to their local public high school?
That’s not up to me, is it? But the culture at Mater Dei has been seedy in way worse ways than this for decades. There is going to be ramifications on this that run way deeper than this one incident.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Not really surprised.
The winning made everything okay.
Before he showed up Mater Dei hadn't been
relevant since the 1960's. Other than maybe
Todd Marinovich playing there 2 seasons.
Then you had the "mysterious" transfers of Derek Sparks (by the way just passed away a couple days ago R.I.P.) and a couple others and by year 3 C.I.F. champs. No matter how the kids got there.
Brilliant coach though.
I’d forgotten he played there for two years. For some reason I thought it was 1. I saw him play against Amat as a freshman and Amat had Eric Bienemy and I believe John Jackson. Sure about bienemy not so sure on JJ. I think Bienemy was a freshman too.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
That’s not up to me, is it? But the culture at Mater Dei has been seedy in way worse ways than this for decades. There is going to be ramifications on this that run way deeper than this one incident.
I’m just razzing you Blem. If they’ve done way worse though, their evilness should be brought into the light and prosecuted. Just learned from some fam in SoCal that they repeatedly discourage kids from playing football for MD.

The finals are coming up. I hope St Francis can win today against Serra. Got family on the St Francis team, not to mention the CCS player of the year, their running back. They run prostyle….get this: a blocking full back and they run power leads. Pittsburg HS, year in and out has solid teams, but they have the unfortunate draw of having to face DeLa EVERY year to only lose and not get a chance to head to state. This year, while they did lose again to DeLa, Pitt will be repping the north at one of the divisions, looks like D2 maybe. DeLa might be heading down to rep D1. Going today to watch that St Francis vs Serra game, should be a good one.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Hah, I saw 1st hand how C.Harry Welch, Canyon Country (personal friend) ran practices during the summer and regular season. I lived in Canyon Country and annually, on occasions viewed their practices + saw most of their games. He ran practices very hard. Summer 3 a days, very hot, little breaks, weight training, lots of running and hard hitting. Non of his boys had a fat gut, trim OL & DL. His boys and style of football were pure Power not many schools could match CC HS (Antelope Valley HS, Lancaster, C.Newsome gave them a hard time).

Every school C.Welch coached (CC, St. Margarets, Santa Margarita), he imposed his style of FB and a few parents did not agree and complained. Heck, C.Welch got reprimanded at each school. He was kinda forced out coaching at CC, he stopped coaching for almost 10 years but still taught English. Heck, if C.Welch did not stop coaching his records would have rivaled De La Salle. Before De La Salle, Canyon Country ruled the SSCIF. C.Welch is the only coach to have won 3 State Championship at 3 different HS. I remember how CC HS over powered De La Salle in the State Championship, 2006. Never saw a DLS team get handled like that. C.Welch was one of the greatest coaches not just Calif, but in the country. Oh, I sometimes practiced tennis at CC HS with a PE teacher that was very good, I rated him like a 4.0/4.5 NTRP.

Waianae HS, Hawaii, HC Ginoza (became friends) ran practices almost just as hard as Canyon Country. No parent complaint though. Freaken Waianae boys were tough dudes, just like CC HS and De La Salle. Waianae HS dominated HS FB in the 70's, 80's, 90's. After C.Ginoza retired 1984 his AC Mitsui took over as HC, 1985-95 and ran things just like Ginoza. Coach Ginoza and Coach Mitsui are in Hawaii's Hall of fame.

De La Salle, read stories about how C.Bob Ladouceur's summer and regular season practices were grueling, very physical & hard. Not sure if any parents filed official complaints? DLS just like CC, Waianae ran a Power Run Offense.

These 3 teams all had one thing in common, they won Championships and just killed people. The moral of this post to be a top FB team the boys must work very hard, it's not for the faint of heart (complaining parents). FB is a tough, violent sport that requires top physical conditioning. These 3 HS and HC ran very hard, tough nose, demanding FB programs. Their styles would not work anymore. That type of training (summer and regular season) are not allow anymore and carefully monitored...

Last edited:

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
I’d forgotten he played there for two years. For some reason I thought it was 1. I saw him play against Amat as a freshman and Amat had Eric Bienemy and I believe John Jackson. Sure about bienemy not so sure on JJ. I think Bienemy was a freshman too.
Bieniemy was a class older. So he would've been a sophomore. Jackson would've been a senior.

Reactions: 4heisman

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

I brought this incident up to my son who plays football and is a junior this year.
His response: "everyone does 'bodies'. Sounds like someone turned 'bodies' into a fight"

Yes, I was shocked by that response.

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I brought this incident up to my son who plays football and is a junior this year.
His response: "everyone does 'bodies'. Sounds like someone turned 'bodies' into a fight"

Yes, I was shocked by that response.
Except it wasn't a fight. One kid just straight up went beyond the rules and assaulted the other. I think the closest analog would be some of the hockey violence that goes way beyond dropping gloves and results in lengthy suspensions and even criminal charges.

Reactions: 4heisman

Latest posts