OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Gangs of London S2 quite violent and bloody and compelling AMC +

Slow Horses, Oldman spy show S2, AppleTV. Good show.
The fight sequencing and choreography is excellent.
Big fan of Sope Dirisu. He needs to be a much bigger star.

Reactions: rudedude

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Going to check out Litvinenko tonight. David Tennant. I thought he and Tucci were great in Inside Man which admittedly had a weak story but they made it appealing.

Update: it’s with watching. It’s not fast paced but intriguing so far.

Last edited:

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
The new series based on the Louise Penny books about Chief Inspector Gamache in Quebec Province in Three Pines just dropped and it’s great.

I’ve read her books, they aren’t easy to decipher at times. Looking forward to watching.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve read her books, they aren’t easy to decipher at times. Looking forward to watching.
They usually involve idiosyncratic characters involved in some sort of artistic endeavors set in this quaint French Canadian village. It makes for a very different sort of mystery than your usual sort of who dunnit. I often learn something about art from reading her mystery novels and enjoy her writing style. The Gamache investigator of the French Canadian homicide division is very understated and well acted. I think you’ll be hooked after one episode. It moves slowly and deliberately though, it’s not a car chase sort of show. It’s more cerebral and psychological.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I liked the first season but couldn’t muster enough energy and interest to get through S2. Seems like it just got more convoluted the bigger the world got.
Thats about where I was with it. I stopped somewhere during the 2nd second season.
Wednesday, on Netflix I am absolutely loving. Its like a very twisted Veronica Mars goes to Hogwarts.
I was skeptical since I haven't much liked anything Tim Burton has done lately but this is back in his sweet spot.
Shout out to him for using Roy Orbison's In Dreams but even Tim can't out weird David Lynch.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I tried watching Willow on Disney + and had to stop. Watched 4 episodes and fell asleep on every one. Not one remotely interesting character.

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
They usually involve idiosyncratic characters involved in some sort of artistic endeavors set in this quaint French Canadian village. It makes for a very different sort of mystery than your usual sort of who dunnit. I often learn something about art from reading her mystery novels and enjoy her writing style. The Gamache investigator of the French Canadian homicide division is very understated and well acted. I think you’ll be hooked after one episode. It moves slowly and deliberately though, it’s not a car chase sort of show. It’s more cerebral and psychological.
Does one need to use subtitles?

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Some we’ve discussed and some new material here.
Maverick, Top Gun dropped the other day on Paramount+. I watched it last night. Ummm Did they steal the plot from Star Wars?
It was something to watch but glad I didn't go to the Theater to see it. I didn't think it was very good.

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
4 part Shaq doc on HBOMAX. Gotta love the Big Aristotle!
These well financed athletes with their own media companies producing puff pieces about their careers? No thank you. "The Captain" by Jeter, "The Tuck Rule" by Brady. Lebron will soon be coming out with something I'm sure. Don't expect to learn anything that they don't want you to know.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
I saw Glass Onion over the holidays. It got good critic and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but I have to say it was putrid. Much worse than the original Knives Out movie, with a lot of silly Hollywood hijinks.

In contrast, Amsterdam with Christian Bale and Margot Robbie didn't get the best RT reviews, but I thought that movie was pretty good.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I saw Glass Onion over the holidays. It got good critic and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but I have to say it was putrid. Much worse than the original Knives Out movie, with a lot of silly Hollywood hijinks.

In contrast, Amsterdam with Christian Bale and Margot Robbie didn't get the best RT reviews, but I thought that movie was pretty good.

Speaking of Bale, this looks really good…

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

Glass Onion was a very enjoyable whodunit romp ... and I say this even though it used a "plot twist" of which I'm entirely not a fan, as a rule. It still overcame that.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Glass Onion was a very enjoyable whodunit romp ... and I say this even though it used a "plot twist" of which I'm entirely not a fan, as a rule. It still overcame that.
So it was exactly like an Agatha Christie novel? ;) 🤣
I'm probably going to watch it this week but need to finish up the Wednesday series, which I am loving.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

I liked Glass Onion and thought it was funny but didn't understand a couple of things

Reactions: Midnighter

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Slow Horses AppleTV, terrific spy show with Gary Oldman, season 2 coming to a close. Also Gangs of London S2 AMC+. Terrific action and story. Coming to an end for S2.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I am probably the only one here who gets excited about this, but....

West Wing marathon on the HLN network (never heard of it before) all week.

Reactions: Classof09

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Able to watch both Maverick and Glass Onion recently - both were a lot of fun in their own way....(will have Glass Onion review soon):

Maverick basically takes everything that was great about Top Gun and doubles down on it. Soundtrack is basically the same (save the Lady Gaga song at the end), but all the beats are there. Touching stuff with Kilmer too and I heard it was important for Cruise to have him in the movie. They are a bit heavy handed with Rooster though - does he have to look and act EXACTLY like Goose? It was fine though. The aerial combat footage was tremendous and exciting and Jennifer Connelly as the love interest was 'chef's kiss'! She's 52, he's 60. Though it's a redux of Top Gun with a bit of Star Wars Death Star mission thrown in (I did think not naming the 'enemy' country or it's fighter jets was a bit weak, but it doesn't hurt the spirit of the movie), it was fun to watch and I'm sad I didn't see it in theaters. Cruise is America's weirdest treasure. Recommended.

Reactions: PSU87 and bbrown

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Started watching Kaleidoscope on Netflix. Each home gets a different mix of the episodes, each has its own color. Takes place over 17 years and is about a revenge bank robbery promulgated by none other than Gus Fring himself, Giancarlo Esposito. Interesting concept. Also The Pale Blue Eye begins tomorrow on Netflix, Christian Bale/Edgar Allen Poe West Point nursed mystery flick, looked good.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Been enjoying Tulsa King with Stallone quite a bit. Amazing how impressive Sly is well into his 70s. Great supporting cast and works on a lot of levels. It’s not quite ‘prestige TV’ but it’s a lot of fun to see one of the all-timers chewing up the screen in a near perfect role. It’s on Paramount+ and Hulu o believe.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021

Good to know regarding Amsterdam. thanks @NewEra 2014

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Nov 1, 2021
Been enjoying Tulsa King with Stallone quite a bit. Amazing how impressive Sly is well into his 70s. Great supporting cast and works on a lot of levels. It’s not quite ‘prestige TV’ but it’s a lot of fun to see one of the all-timers chewing up the screen in a near perfect role. It’s on Paramount+ and Hulu o believe.

Really like this series so far. Entertaining is the word I'd use to describe it. Just a little detail made me crack up... the scene where Stallone is eating an ice cream cone makes me think he's never had one before.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I've been watching with my FIL. He loves the 'I've been locked away for 20 years so I can be as non-politically correct as I want because I don't know any better' stuff. I'm surprised at how much I like the story; it's a bit more soapy than other shows like it, but it works.

Reactions: Classof09

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
My wife and I watched The Banshees of Inisherin last week. Both of us enjoyed the movie very much. If you are familiar with the movie In Bruges that came out several years ago, you may also like Banshees.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I've been watching with my FIL. He loves the 'I've been locked away for 20 years so I can be as non-politically correct as I want because I don't know any better' stuff. I'm surprised at how much I like the story; it's a bit more soapy than other shows like it, but it works.
He really is an interesting person. I know, he can come off as a tough guy douche but I've also seen him provide some real insight into moviemaking in some interviews. He was on the CBS morning news last Sunday and was really interesting. I think the joke is on the audience who thinks he's a dope. @Midnighter

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
Anybody see season 3 of Jack Ryan on Amazon? Loved season 1 and season 2 was so so. Haven’t seen 3 yet.