Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything in the world of Florida football, UF recruiting, Gators basketball, Florida baseball and more.
This weekend marks the end of an era as Mick Hubert will call his final games as voice of the Florida Gators.
Hubert is signing off after three decades and more than 2,500 games at Florida.
“Mick Hubert, in multiple sports, was part of the fabric of following the Gators,” former UF athletic director Jeremy Foley said. “He’s meant a lot to this program. He obviously rewarded our faith in him by becoming one of the all-time greats.”
Hubert was inducted into the Florida Sports Hall of Fame in 2019. He is the only broadcaster in history to call national championship wins for the same school in college football (three), men’s basketball (two), and baseball (one).
“His incredible passion for the Gators, you could feel it come through the broadcasts,” Foley said. “When the Gators won or something exciting happened, he could bring it to life. I used to love watching Gator highlights from TV that had his call on them. He’s incredibly talented.”
Florida Football shared a tribute video on Thursday night celebrating Mick Hubert’s career and iconic calls.
In other Florida football news
- Florida coach Billy Napier is a proponent of NIL legislation but believes that it needs more rules and guidance than what is currently in place.
- Legendary Florida Gators play-by-play announcer Mick Hubert is retiring after 33 years in his role.
- Gator Nation took to social media to thank Mick Hubert for the memories after his announcement.
- Here are the top 10 calls Mick Hubert made during his career as the voice of the Florida Gators.
- Gators Online Podcast: Jeff Cardozo talks UF baseball, Mick Hubert’s most memorable calls, Billy Napier’s first offseason and more.
UF recruiting roundup
- Florida co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach, Sean Spencer, is set to watch one of the nation’s elite prospects in Keon Keeley.
- Ahead of a busy month of June, the Gators play host to a handful of visitors this weekend including a 2022 and two other priority targets.
- JUCO linebacker Justin Jefferson has plans to journey down to the Swamp, as an official visit is now scheduled for next month.
- On300 EDGE Isaiah Nixon received a visit from Florida on Thursday and plans on returning to Gainesville for an official visit.
- Distance will be a factor for newly offered RB target Christopher Johnson, who plans to take multiple visits to the University of Florida.
Gators sports roundup
- The Florida Gators are winners in 11 of their last 13 baseball games and three-straight SEC series, peaking at the right time of the year.
- Gators catcher BT Riopelle was named one of 16 semifinalists for the 2022 Buster Posey National Collegiate Catcher of the Year Award.
- Wyatt Langford, who now leads the SEC with 21 home runs, has been on a tear since the lineup shakeup by Kevin O’Sullivan.
- Former Florida Gators slugger Pete Alonso hit an extra-inning walk-off home run Thursday to blast the New York Mets past St. Louis.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Head over to our Florida message board, Swamp Talk. Sign up here and join the discussion.